Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mad Men (AMC) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. fronkensteen

Trusted

It's crazy how good those first few seasons are and then how much even better it gets once they move. I can't think of another show that has something similar.

2. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

The Shield is the only similar show I can think of. It got better as it went along, always being good, but the last 3 seasons were unbelievable.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I dunno-- I just finished season 2 in my second time watching the series-- and i fucking love the beginning. It sets everything up. I love watching Don's marriage fall apart and cautiously pick itself up. So many good Betty scenes

4. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

The part where Don looks in the mirror and that harsh, ominous, bassy tone plays is something that gave me serious chills. I don't remember exactly when that happened, but I'm thinking season 2-3.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Mad Men definitely starts getting significantly better around the fourth season. That is true for a lot of great shows. The Sopranos is tonally off for the first two seasons, The Wire gets into another gear as more and more storylines develop, and the first season or two of Breaking Bad is borderline unwatchable. Someone mentioned The Shield, which is a perfect example of a good show becoming an extraordinary one in the second half.

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Is that when he's shaving and Sally's in the bathroom with him, then he sees himself and gets disgusted, and tells her to leave?

7. fronkensteen

Trusted

I'm pretty sure that's the scene being referenced here. Very good scene.

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That scene could have easily been executed poorly but instead it was absolutely chilling. I love this show so much.

9. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished season 2, and I like Duck Phillips as a character way more this time around. Interesting (but still a jerk). the look on his face when Don tells him in that merger meeting that he doesn't have a contract was LOL.

OotyPa likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I like how they never straight up say hes a recovering alcoholic but the subtext is everywhere

11. Morrissey

Trusted

The whole reason Duck Phillips joins Sterling Cooper is because he was fired from the last agency for being an alcoholic.

MrRobot and fronkensteen like this.
  12. MrRobot

This thread is making me want to do my rewatch. I got the blu-ray boxset for Christmas last year and haven't gotten around to a time when I wanted to spend 7 seasons with a single show again, but I should do that soon.

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Not that you mention it, that's probably one of my favorite moments from the series.

14. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I'm so in love with that teacher Mrs Farrell (the one Don is going to run away with at the end of Season 3). I don't really have anything to say beyond that, thank you for your time...

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

^ then you should check out Rectify

OotyPa and Night Channels like this.
  16. Night Channels

Trusted

Everyone should watch Rectify

(Abigail Spencer just makes it even better)

OotyPa and Cameron like this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Rectify is one of the best shows on television. Definitely has a Mad Men vibe to it

Cameron likes this.
  18. MrRobot

You can bid on Don Draper's car (among a plethora of other things). I wish I had the money to blow on this sort of stuff.

19. fronkensteen

Trusted

Oh man, that would be great to get some of that stuff.

20. fronkensteen

Trusted

On another note, does anyone else get some kind of different vibe when watching Mad Men as opposed to other dramas, regardless of their quality? It's hard for me to explain, but I get pulled in like a tractor beam and am transfixed the entire time. No other show pulls me in like Mad Men, no matter how many times I watch it.

kupe likes this.
  21. MrRobot

Yup, and it took quite a few years for it to happen to me but when it finally clicks it clicks. It has it's own aesthetic and atmosphere about it, and very much feels like its a world of its own instead of just a good tv show. The Wire is the only other show I can think of that is so very much its own thing.

fronkensteen likes this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

The Sopranos. Twin Peaks. Rectify.

Those are pretty much the only shows I know that do this too.

marceting, MrRobot and Jeff like this.
  23. MrRobot

Twin Peaks is a really good pick too.

24. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished that episode where Sally takes the train into the city by herself to see Don then has that freakout at the end. Such a memorable episode IMO - the girl who plays Sally is such a good actress even at such a young age (she only gets better throughout the seasons).
    Also the dark humour when Miss Blankenship dies at the desk & they essentially cover her with a sheet is uncomfortably funny.

25. Was talking about this show the other day with a friend and it took me like 20 minutes to remember Betty's name. Probably time for that re-watch.