Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mad Men (AMC) TV Show • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. All of season 7 on netflix. Maybe a dip in quality is too harsh, but I did not enjoy it as much.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, it's no biggie if it was a dip to you for me. I disagree obviously but my love for it is almost so blind now that I can't see it as anything else, haha

There's probably 4 or 5 of my favorite moments from the whole series from those episodes, so it's really important to me.

3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

She's a Scientologist wtf

Ken and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I was shocked when I found that out too, especially considering her role on Mad Men and the Handmaid's Tale, but I think she was just born into a scientologist family or something/is non-practicing. I'm honestly not sure if that's possible after watching Going Clear a few years back, but it's the only justification I can come up with.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

She is very much practicing. She’s just also very good at the PR side of things and always manages to deflect away from it in interviews.

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Makes no sense to me lol.

7. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

OotyPa and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Her comments don’t seem to reflect anything I’ve learned about scientology, so it just seems like a well-phrased deflection, like @EASheartsVinyl said. Just seems totally backwards to be that devoted and play the role of June.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  9. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I have a theory with the Moss/Scientologist stuff because im pretty sure she was raised it by her parents, and if you come up as a child in the church, their whole thing is that they want to know every single thing about you so that it can potentially be used to blackmail/hurt you in the future so i think in a sense she kind of has no choice her? if she were to dip they could probably annihilate her?
    Maybe playing June is like, her way of rebelling against power structures like scientology without actually speaking out at it directly? who knows

OotyPa likes this.
  10. Jake Gyllenhaal

I know Beck is another entertainer raised by Scientologist parents

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty sure Leah Remini has said that people like Moss are viewed as incredibly important to the “church” because of how their work can be viewed as, “See? We aren’t an evil cult! Our members are allowed to be in productions that call that behavior out!” It’s all so gross.

OotyPa likes this.
  12. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

it definitely sucks, and I think she's a tremendous actress but she like barely ever talks about it which makes me think its probably something she wishes she werent a part of it but doesnt really have a choice.

13. Eh I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt personally

14. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

totally fair, you just have to wonder

OotyPa likes this.
  15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that seems like a lot of mental gymnastics to absolve her continued involvement. I’m sure there are many members who DO feel trapped, and she may even be one of them, but that’s putting a lot of weight on pure speculation to say that her taking this role is some kind of personal underground rebellion.

I continue to hope that they will be disbanded one of these days and the people who have been hurt by them can start to heal/the ones who have committed the atrocities will face actual justice, but that often feels like a pipe dream.

16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

How much talking about it is enough? I don't feel like many celebs try to actively draw that much attention to it these days, probably because they know how controversial it is at this point.

No point in trying to make sense of something that's ultimately incoherent

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

"Despite the phrase’s specific origins, like all catchphrases, it has transcended to the universal. Kartheiser tells Vulture that he and his wife, actress Alexis Bledel, used the phrase a lot when they first moved in together “as answers to questions like ‘How’s dinner coming?’” Just like the rest of us."

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So pure

19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Any of y’all watch The Romanoffs on Prime? It’s an anthology show created, directed, and written by Matthew Weiner, though I’ve heard it’s tough to get into.

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I heard bad things

21. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

The delivery is so good when Stan says “I didn’t think they’d be starting with him” about Cooper when they are about to do layoffs

Season 4 in general is incredible, now that I’ve been through a merger and a round of agency layoffs personally it really hits different.

Ken likes this.
  22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

No Pete with the receding hairline?

ghostedaway likes this.
  25. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

missed opportunity, should have done a last episode zen Don