Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mad Max: Fury Road Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by AndrewSoup, Jun 16, 2016.

1. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Max’s character arc is the same exact arc he had in Road Warrior and Thunderdome

coleslawed likes this.
  2. Cipher

You say that as if it's somehow an argument against the character. That's kind of the entire point. He's in an endless loop of losing his humanity and regaining it.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

furiousa not having a character arc, going from working for Joe and ending up freeing the entire civilization is, imo, a bad take.

CarpetElf likes this.
  4. Cipher

She already made the decision to leave the Citadel by the time Fury Road starts. Whatever character arc she had, it happened before the events of the film. So no, she doesn't have an arc in the movie.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I feel like you’ve got an incredibly simplistic (& inaccurate) definition of “arc.”

She starts the film w/ a mission, finds out that the original version of the mission was in vain, pursues a new mission (still based in a desire for freedom), & accomplishes that. And, her relationship to Max evolves over the course of this story.

To say all that doesn’t constitute an “arc,” while admitting that Max himself is in a narrative loop, is wild.

6. Cipher

Her goal remains the same the entire movie, which is to find a new home. The circumstances change. She doesn't. Which is fine by the way. I never said it was a bad thing.

Max being in a narrative loop is entirely based on him being a mythological archetype. Those kinds of characters are bound to repeating themselves. In the case of Max, he's destined to help other people find their home because he lost his.

flask likes this.
  7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

A character’s goal is different than an arc. And she does change throughout the movie. It is her story.

CarpetElf and phaynes12 like this.
  8. Cipher

A character's goal is what drives them to do what they do in any story. And arcs usually happen when a character's goal ultimately starts to shift from one thing to another. Like Max's in Fury Road. And even if you could argue that it's strictly her story, it still doesn't somehow make an arc appear out of thin air.

flask likes this.
  9. phaynes12

gotta always leave it to someone to zig when literally everyone else with a pulse is zagging

10. Nathan

Character arc - Wikipedia

11. Nathan

This feels too obvious to devote time to debating

Serh, Tim and phaynes12 like this.
  12. Cipher

13. flask

Trusted Supporter

He’s putting forth a better discussion than most people on this site even tho I kinda disagree

14. Nathan

Furiosa has to change her objectives and outlook throughout the film. It happens multiple times and the Furiosa at the end of the movie is changed by her experiences. Sure it’s not a radical change like, say, Han Solo being “I only care about me” to “I’ll risk my life to help my friends”, but it’s there.

15. phaynes12

if only furiosa had the character arc of sam fischer, splinter cell

16. Cipher

"Objectives" is just another word for "goals". But no, her ultimate objective doesn't change. Her destination does. She leaves the Citadel searching for home and ends the film arriving back at the Citadel, which could absolutely be her home under a far more humane and fair leadership.

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Hey don’t blame SP on this stupidity

18. Nathan

and you don’t think she’s changed at all by any of the things she experiences throughout the course of the movie? You don’t think she adjusts how she feels about other characters and her outlook based on the things she goes through in the movie?

19. Cipher

Aside from Max, who's definitely a wild card from her perspective, not really. Her objective doesn't change, her personality doesn't change, and her actions don't really deviate from what she wanted from the very beginning of the film. If any of those did change, the movie would probably have a very different ending.

20. Nathan

Her psychology does change. Her motivations expand. How she feels about multiple characters changes

also called an arc

21. Cipher

The first two are incorrect.

As for the third one, I guess if you wanna say she has an arc because she stopped wanting to kill Max after their fight in the first half of the movie, then okay. But it's certainly not the most confident argument I've heard, that's for sure. Regardless of all that, Max still has the main arc in the film which was my original point anyway.

22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Please describe Max’s arc in the film in a way that passes this bizarre criteria for an arc that you’re set on Furiosa not having.

23. Nathan

I mean... it’s not. Her motivations and psychology grow. They broaden. She doesn’t do a 180 or anything but she learns through the things she’s going through that the survival of a select few, her initial goal and driving motivation, is a small victory as long as others are still oppressed. She learns this through relationships with people she encounters and gets to know and from the realization that things she envisioned are unattainable. She is literally uplifted in the final shot, a shot that hits hard, because she’s grown. We recognize that the Furiosa riding up to the top of the mountain is a changed person from the person who fled in the beginning.

Tim likes this.
  24. Cipher

Max begins the film alone physically, emotionally, and mentally. He's more like a wild animal than anything else, lacking anything but basic survival instinct. That's his ultimate goal. Just survive. Even when first teaming up with Furiosa and the wives, he was only using them because it was his only chance for survival. But through his interactions with them, he regains the part of himself he thought he left behind. His humanity. Which is when his ultimate goal of survival shifts to helping them find their home instead, eventually pointing them in the right direction and helping them get there. And it clearly wasn't for his own benefit since he leaves at the end.

Of course, that explanation doesn't pass any "bizarre criteria". It's just a character arc by definition.

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You could easily give this same type of treatment of Max that you did in this post but with Furiosa instead but for some reason you’re choosing to ignore it and pretend it’s not there.