Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MacStories iOS 12 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Federico Viticci, has written the definitive iOS 12 review at MacStories:

After years of unabated visual and functional changes, iOS 12 is Apple’s opportunity to regroup and reassess the foundation before the next big step – with one notable exception.

There’s seventeen pages here, but it’s the most in-depth and informative review on the OS by a large margin.

2. atlastitsok

Regular

Anybody have the cliff notes? Are those even still a thing?

Overall I like ios12. Wouldn’t call it ground breaking by any means but some quality of life type upgrades.

KidLightning likes this.
  3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I might read it all later, but so far I just read the first page and the last (substantive) page, 16.

4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm wondering if they've finally addressed enough of my requirements to drop my jailbreak (currently on iOS 11.3.1). Stacked notifications being a big one (along with the other notification enhancements), and carplay support for mapping apps being another. As much fun as it is to be able to demonstrate how I can play YouTube videos on my car's head unit, I don't actually use that feature. I just use it for Waze.

Most of the other jailbreak features I'll lose out on are nice-to-haves not deal-breakers.

5. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

shoutout to Nearer My God being featured in at least one screenshot.

KidLightning and surgerone like this.
  6. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

i'm pretty sure this update allows carplay support for google maps...which is a huge game changer for me. I've been waiting for that for years.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  7. CyberInferno

Yeah, I think Waze is supported as well. Even on the jailbreak community, a lot of people are taking the plunge and crossing their fingers that a jailbreak comes. I'm in the process of updating my phone now.

8. Serenity Now

I just tried to get this update on my iPhone's and after running the install a few times I keep getting the same error message, "an error occurred with the OS update...try again later". Anyone else?

9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I forgot to check Google Maps through CarPlay on the way in to work. I’m going to have to see later today! I hope it works. Now all we need is wireless CarPlay!

10. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

This would be huge! I hate plugging in every time I jump in the car.

theredline likes this.
  11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

That’s the only reason I don’t use it more. Plug in? In 2018? It’s just wrong.

12. CyberInferno

This is already a thing with certain models/manufactures. My mom's 2017 BMW X5 has it.

theredline likes this.
  13. theredline

Trusted Supporter

For real?!? Man I hope my car gets that soon!

I also tried Google Maps with CarPlay and it worked. What I wish I could do though (and I’m probably the only one) is justbhave the turn by turn instructions on the screen. I generally prefer that to the lady telling me where to go...just my preference!

14. Serenity Now

Not exactly sure what you mean but I had no issue w/ Google maps running in the background while spotify was up and only having pop up directions whenever a turn was immanent.

15. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I just mean I prefer the written turn by turn vs the talk through. Just a preference. I know it works the other way. Plus, I tend to reroute a lot so again, I like the written because it’s easy to reset. But I’d like the written turn by turn on the screen then it would be easier to see!