Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mac Miller - Circles (January 17, 2020) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

The only Mac I wanna hear now is some of the stuff he did with Madlib. But he said he doesn’t want to release it and I’m fine with that.

Circles feels like the perfect end to his albeit brief career.

2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

I mean if flylo has more stuff with Mac I wouldnt mind hearing that lol

3. PauLo

43% Burnt

That’s a given haha. Has FlyLo said he has unreleased stuff? Haven’t heard anything from him about anything they did.

4. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

He said he used to be over at his house all the time I can't imagine they didn't have a few more tracks together esp since he just released that version of black balloons reprise with mac

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

There's a whole unreleased EP with Pharrell production too

6. One Man's Tracks

I can hardly believe this came out this year. I binged it for the first few months of the year but from April till now felt like at least a whole other year went by. If i was a list man i might've neglected this record because of how long 2020 has been. I'm certainly due for another Mac month or 3. It's been said but I wish I'd appreciated him more while he was still with us..

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. Still coming around on this fully. "Woods" is so good.

Who does the singing on "Hand Me Downs?"

8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Baro Sarka, he's from Melbourne. love that chorus

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. soggytime

Trusted

When this dropped last year I gave it my first listen at work. Almost started tearing up during "Hand Me Downs" at the office and had to get it together haha

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

11. PauLo

43% Burnt

trevorshmevor likes this.
  12. trevorshmevor Jan 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2021)
    I have not, but hell yeah. Will listen today. Love BBNG

edit: damn, having trouble finding it still up anywhere

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've honestly not been listening to leaks for a while ever since his family asked people to stop leaking stuff since it was affecting any potential releases. I really like how respectfully they've treated his posthumous output and I kind of wanted to go by what they said. Plus, if I don't listen to leaks I can still go into any new project they drop fresh

14. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

So I should probably listen to this, huh? Admittedly I’m a super casual fan of his (I think I’ve only heard The Divine Feminine in full), and posthumous releases are usually weird for me, so I’ve been putting it off.

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'd listen to Swimming first but yes, you should listen to both

I can give you further recs for his catalogue if you want to hear more

JBoch and beachdude like this.
  16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I’ll check both out, thanks!

tdlyon likes this.
  17. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Swimming and Circles are definitely the most accessible for new fans so I agree that's where to start, but everything from Macadelic onward is worth checking out...

Macadelic - It has some great moments like Fight the Feeling and The Question, but still feels like he's trying to shed the frat rap sound and carve out his own style.

Watching Movies - Number two on my list behind Swimming. It was super weird and unique sounding at its release, but it's only got better with time. The stretch of I Am Who I Am, Objects in the Mirror, and Red Dot Music is arguably the best of his entire discography.

Faces - This mixtape is considered by a lot of fans to be his best project. It's the last of his projects to be recorded in "The Red Room" at his first LA home and continues the drug-influenced rap sound from the prior two projects. It is DARK at times and some of the lyrics foreshadow what he sees as his fate. Not on streaming but absolutely worth seeking out on Youtube.

GO:OD AM - His most straight forward hip hop record. Released after he moved to NY and got clean (ish), he worked to make an album that was just him flexing his lyricism over 17 tracks.

The Devine Feminine - This is where Mac went from being a rapper to being a musician. It's jazzy, funky, and just an all-around creative album. The range of featured artists highlights how focused he was on making good music instead of trying to fit into a certain sound. Dang! is my all-time favorite Mac song.

Swimming - My personal favorite Mac album. It's him at his creative peak while also showing that he was still in the early stages of maturing as an artist. He tries to confront his demons while also realizing that while life can be overwhelming but it's important to keep your head above water. Still kills me that this was the last "complete" work we'll get from Mac because it seemed like the best was yet to come.

Circles - If this was the last official project we get, I think it's fitting closure. It sounds complete despite being a posthumous album. Songs like Blue World, Good News, Woods, and Hand Me Downs are top tier in his catalogue. Credit to Jon Brion and Mac's family for doing right by him.

FrankieThe4th and beachdude like this.
  18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

That's definitely a really good writeup but I personally wouldn't leave KIDS out, it's definitely immature feeling at points but the production, flows and hooks on that tape are super fun

Might as well include Blue Slide Park too if you're listening to everything else lol. His other two tapes from his "frat" era (Best Day Ever and I Love Life) are most likely his weakest projects but he doesn't have anything that's outright bad imo, the title track of BDE is still one of my favorite Mac songs

Aaron Mook, JBoch and Contender like this.
  19. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

20. Rowan5215

hell yeah, one of the best mixtapes ever

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Being added to streaming is no big deal to me personally because I've just had it on my phone since 2014 but holy shit I need that vinyl. Wish I had a spare $50 laying around

cherrywaves likes this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

That tricolor variant is pretty cool, probably going to scoop it up since there isn’t a ridiculously long lead time.

23. Rowan5215

the day has come!

JBoch likes this.
  24. chris

Trusted Supporter

Hell ya, forgot it was today

25. Rowan5215

I'm kinda bummed a lot of the movie samples got cut but understand that's the price of it getting on streaming at all lol

sounds amazing though, and the bonus track is incredible