Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mac Miller - Circles (January 17, 2020) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Jon did an incredible job producing this. Not everything clicked on first listen but I’m excited to spend more time with it.

2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Apparently, Everybody is a cover...

3. Record is wonderful, two listens in and I really love this. Thought I would be mostly sad listening through but it's all so chill and disarming that it feels more like a big hug. So thankful this project was finished and that we all get to hear it

4. manoverboard365

Trusted

He's getting another Grammy nomination, I'm sure of it.

Honestly this and Swimming are the only albums of his that I'm able to listen to beginning to end. No filler, all tunes.

5. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

listening to swimming before and this is still perfect

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can’t wait to dive into this. Swimming is a masterpiece.

7. Listening to this now. Chopped sample on Blue World is so good.

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

loooving this

9. CobraKidJon

2009 is so perfect

manoverboard365 likes this.
  10. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Good News makes my heart shatter and terrifies me due to how much I relate to it

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I really dig this and love chill Mac, my only ‘complaint’ I guess I’d have after one listen is that many of the songs follow the same tone/form/format with a super chill Mac singing/rapping slowly.

my guess is as I start to listen to this more and more the songs will differentiate further from each other.

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

go:od am is mostly terrific, can't think of too many skips there offhand

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

and yeah, this is wonderful. i'm gonna be surprised (and delighted) if this isn't one of the best rap albums i hear all 2020

14. cherrywaves

Trusted

Incredible record

15. manoverboard365

Trusted

Truth be told I haven't listened to that album in a few years, I'll give it another go this weekend.

16. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

some really lovely/heartfelt thoughts by Jon Brion about some of the songs on Apple Music/Genius. his description of "Once a Day" made me cry

trevorshmevor likes this.
  17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I was actually pleasantly surprised that it was a lot more uplifting than Swimming, when they say this was meant to be a companion piece to that album I guess this was meant to be the more positive side. Because of this I actually wasn't nearly as sad while listening as I thought it would be, it felt more like checking up on a friend than mourning one if that makes sense (although the fact that it's so much "happier" than Swimming also becomes profoundly sad when you think about the situation unfortunately). I'm actually really happy that his discography will end on a positive note, I think he would have wanted it that way.

As for the music itself, it's fantastic. Doesn't feel like a posthumous album at all, feels totally complete to me, which I couldn't be happier about. Mac still just continued to evolve his sound and do something completely different, and I'm so fucking sad that we won't get to see where he was going to go next. Will forever be a tragedy that such a genuinely talented and forward-thinking artist was taken from us so soon, but I will be forever grateful for what he left us.

cherrywaves likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Who is featured on Hand Me Downs?

19. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Baro Sarka, according to Wikipedia

20. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

The run of Everybody-Woods-Hand Me Downs is so perfect

21. CobraKidJon

blue world is incredible

JBoch likes this.
  22. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Rowan5215 likes this.
  23. CobraKidJon

learning it was produced by disclosure is fun

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

New York Times did a great interview with Jon Brion. most interesting info is that this was apparently planned to be a trilogy, with Swimming, Circles and a "pure hip-hop record" to finish it. also seems to confirm Ariana has vocals on "I Can See".

JBoch likes this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Makes me appreciate the album even more, Brion is a musical genius and him having such high praise for Mac is so cool/heartbreaking

JBoch likes this.