Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ma (Tate Taylor, May 31,2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 13, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Feb 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Octavia Spencer stars as Sue Ann, a loner who keeps to herself in her quiet Ohio town. One day, she is asked by Maggie, a new teenager in town (Diana Silvers, Glass), to buy some booze for her and her friends, and Sue Ann sees the chance to make some unsuspecting, if younger, friends of her own.

She offers the kids the chance to avoid drinking and driving by hanging out in the basement of her home. But there are some house rules: One of the kids has to stay sober. Don’t curse. Never go upstairs. And call her “Ma.”

But as Ma’s hospitality starts to curdle into obsession, what began as a teenage dream turns into a terrorizing nightmare, and Ma’s place goes from the best place in town to the worst place on earth.

starring Octavia Spencer, Missi Pyle, Luke Evans, Juliette Lewis, Allison Janney

2. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This has a lot of potential. I’m in.

3. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Trailer shows the whole movie boo-urns

4. flask

Trusted Supporter

I could not believe this trailer when it played before Us. This looks like trash and not even entertaining trash.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I saw it before Us and I was shocked at how much they showed. One of the worst examples I’ve seen recently.

6. chris

Trusted Supporter

yeah saw this trailer before Us, shows A LOT

7. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I'm a little interested ngl. But yeah that trailer showed like the entire movie

yung_ting likes this.
  8. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This played before Happy Death Day 2U... let me guess, they kill Ma?

9. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Ma's gonna kill them all obviously

10. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

This looked like dumb fun tbh

11. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I’m bummed the trailer seemed to show so much but holy moly it looks awesome

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

obviously the marketing strategy is "you've never seen Octavia Spencer like this" so I don't mind the trailer showing a lot, and yeah this looks fun and it may just be me but I forget 90% of what's in a trailer until I'm watching the movie and I'm like oh yeah I've seen this before

FTank, GrantCloud and Slangster like this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Yeah, I’m like that too, my memory is awful and I kind of love it. All I remember from this trailer since seeing it on Sunday is someone getting hit by a car and like a mask or something

Slangster likes this.
  14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Out now. Gonna check it out this weekend I think.

15. cricketandclover May 30, 2019
    (Last edited: May 30, 2019)
    cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I thought this was ... bad? Hard to say. It's so outrageous and weird that it's kinda great. Well, maybe not great. But it's a lot of fun overall. Better with an audience who wants to interact with the batshit stuff they're seeing on screen.

Zilla likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I wish we got more Missi Pyle because she was hilarious but she had fun I have no idea why are introduction to her and Luke Evans was her giving him road head but I can't stop thinking about it
    I couldn't tell if some of the acting was stilted on purpose, like the stuff with Juliette Lewis and Diana
    this definitely took a little while to get going, and I'm not sure if I would have liked it if it weren't for Octavia, but she was great

17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I read the premise on Wikipedia, I’ll definktely rent it. Sounds like Octavia kills it

18. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

I took it as foreshadowing for what’s later revealed

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Octavia was awesome, that's for sure.

20. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It’s exactly what I was hoping for. Not sure I cared about any of the characters but Spencer was awesome. I had lots of fun.

And if you care — the photo used for this on Letterboxd shows a pretty big spoiler. I usually avoid most marketing at this point so maybe it’s been shown already but I’m glad I didn’t see it before seeing the movie.

21. Zilla Jun 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2019)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I do appreciate how they maximized the low budget for this. Movie must have used about five sets - the clinic, the liquor store, Ma’s house, the girl’s house and the school.

22. This was alright. But yeah the trailer gave away a lot.

23. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That photo is in the trailer too

thedrudo likes this.
  24. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah it goes by very quickly haha

thedrudo likes this.