Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

M83 - Junk Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

do it try it still the worst rustie rip of all time and there have been some really really really bad ones

KBradley likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Been checking out this album... it feels like I'm stuck in an elevator with a bad credit sequence playing in front of me. Probably not even going to make it all the way through.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

This was a really weird listen for me. One of my most anticipated for the year, but I also saw all of the terrible reviews/reception before listening.

I think I would have been more critical if I came into this album knowing nothing about it, but my reaction after first listen is "Oh that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Phew."

4. Jim

Trusted Supporter

the more i listen to it the more i'm disappointed. its not bad and I enjoy a bunch of the songs but i find my self thinking "following up one of my favorite albums and waiting four years for this?"

5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I came to post pretty much this. I found myself liking the album less and less the more I listened to it yesterday.

6. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Maybe it was the low expectations, but this was better than I was expecting. Tho not as good as I hoped unfortunately. I don't think this is as sharp a turn stylistically as people are making it out to be.

There's some seriously good songs on here. I fucking love Do It, Try it; and Go! would be a SOTY contender for me. The stretch of Walkaway Blues to The Wizard is pretty bleh. But Laser Gun, Road Blaster, Tension, Atlantique Sud, and Time Wind are all great. Mai Lan and Beck features owned the album.

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Didn't like a single track off this

8. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

After the first listen, I couldn't get into it as much as I was hoping I would. Hopefully with more listens it will grow on me.

9. demo

i said dont @ me

this is pretty horrible, unfortunately.

10. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

yeah this really sucks. i don't think i'll ever listen to it again.

11. fronkensteen

Trusted

I really hope I don't dislike this album.

12. fronkensteen

Trusted

Holy crap Moon Crystal is my JAM!

13. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Mai Lan is a dead ringer for female vocalist in The Go! Team (Especially in Laser Gun) Which makes the song Go! rather ironic.

14. fronkensteen

Trusted

Atlantique Sud is fantastic song.

15. fronkensteen

Trusted

Just finished it and I like it a lot.

16. This might be my new AOTY

cshadows2887 and fronkensteen like this.
  17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

We're all sorry!

JK, cool that you like it. Are you familiar with M83's previous work?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. fronkensteen

Trusted

I'm just glad he's doing something different than his last two, which are my least favorite of all of his.

19. fronkensteen

Trusted

1:08 into The Kids sounds like Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me"

20. Not particularly, which probably has a hand in me liking this so much. I started listening to his catalog this week and enjoyed basically everything I heard. I haven't had four years to emotionally connect with HUWD, so I'm not outraged by the direction of this or any perceived lack of substance. I'm just having so much fun with it. I seem to enjoy this for a lot of the same reasons I enjoy The Life of Pablo so much (my other AOTY contender); it's messy and dancey and different from anything I've listened to before.

21. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Every thing I heard from this sounded like a doubling down on HU's more absurd moments. It's more of a departure from his earliest work when he was still something resembling post rock.

I don't even really like hurry up that much. Much prefer Saturday's.

22. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

HUWD has not aged well for me, really liked it at the time though. Haven't given this a listen yet, probably will tonight.

23. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i'm just going to listen to dead cities forever

Kyle is hk likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ha, I don't enjoy either of those albums with the messiness as the main reason, so I guess it's fitting that someone else loves them for that. I do have a very personal connection with HUWD, though, so that's probably another big reason I didn't enjoy my first listen to this.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. fronkensteen

Trusted

This album is brilliant. Go!, For the Kids, and Atlantique Sud are on a different level.