Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

M83 - Junk Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 5, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

April 8, 2016

[​IMG]

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Expecting to hear this in the next 24 hours. I like the first two single, haven't listened to Go! yet.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It definitely is on it's way extremely soon

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I keep forgetting its April. Stoked for this

5. bencoles

GLOW ON

Snuck up on me too, pleasantly though in this case. Long old wait.

6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I like all three songs he's released, but I'm not really excited for the album if that makes sense haha. Everything he's said about it has just sort of been a turn off to me. I hope I enjoy the album though, I really do.

7. Jim

Trusted Supporter

8. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Hmmm, I like how a lot of those sound. Really curious now to hear the whole thing on Friday.

9. skyphoenix

Oh man, I need this album. Those clips are right up my alley! How has this not leaked yet!? It's being sold in numerous places.

10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

pressing play on this right now...

ChiliTacos likes this.
  11. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

And?

12. Jim

Trusted Supporter

im only halfway through but its def different and will be very divisive. I feel like if you liked the songs released thus far you'll probably like it. im enjoying it but its no HU,WD or S=Y for me at least.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  13. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

I'm scared

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Not quite sure what to think after the first listen...it's okay. Nothing immediately comes close to the highs of previous records but I'll spend a lot of time with this today and see how my thoughts change over time.

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

On first listen, this wasn't as awful as I'm sure a lot of people are going to say it is, but outside of a few tracks it was quite boring to me. Rolled my eyes at a bit of it but I did that a lot with the last one too.

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Going to try to get to this soon. I hate the album cover.

17. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I listened to it a few times at work today and thought it was OK. Liked a few songs a lot and then the rest were just kind of eh. Not awful, but not great either.

18. skoopy

Regular

I wish I could get into this more, but after 4.5 years its just not what I wanted. Its so different in attitude from HUWD and S=Y that its not appealing to me at the moment. I know the band is intentionally throwing a big curve ball with this one and I'm just not enjoying it. That being said, there are some good songs like Go! and Solitude.

19. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I really like the uplifting sound of this. And I think I get the album art and album title now. I'm guessing what Gonzales was doing on the last record (taking inspiration from western 80's rock/electro and big budget movie soundtracks to make a widescreen, bombastic audio celebration of them) he's also doing here, but with the small screen as the reference point (you can really hear influences of western 70's and 80's TV, shows like Sesame Street to 80's goofball comedies and sitcom's like Cheers). Only thing is...american 70's and 80's pop TV is kinda....garbage, lol. But somehow this album is still enjoyable for me. I grew up with TV as a way of escaping boredom and an early childhood that wasn't the greatest, so I have positive memories of TV and music of the 80's and early 90's, especially shows like Sesame Street, Cheers and Night Court. Not really those shows as much as the music. Thought they were depressing at time (remember just thinking they felt old and stupid and just wanted to watch cartoons and stuff with dinosaurs ironically enough lol) but the connection is still there for me since it's in the DNA of my nostalgia. I can see this album not going over as well with listeners born in the mid 90's or later though I suppose. Anyway, that's what I think. If anyone wants to hear what I feel is the epitome of media that influenced much of this record, check this and this out.

20. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

It took a few songs into the record but it finally clicked with me. It really helps knowing exactly what he was going for concerning the 80's and early 90's TV Shows especially once you hit "Moon Crystal". That song sounds straight out of a TV Show. The record itself is incomparable to Hurry Up, We're Dreaming and Saturdays=Youth so it's not really worth the attempt.

Overall, I love the the sound choices and the construction of the songs and it truly sounds like more of a soundtrack to a TV show. It's a record I didn't know I wanted to be made until I listened to it. I feel like it will be very polarizing and not what the majority of people want from M83 but I don't think a sequel to Hurry Up, We're Dreaming would've been as gratifying as most would expect.

21. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I don't know if I'm even gonna waste my time with this one...ill see how the reaction is the next week or so, but I have literally no positive expectations on this

22. Driving2theBusStation Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2016)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I feel like one could make a strong case that the theme for Alf was one of the primary sources of inspiration for Moon Crystal and the overall sound of the album.

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Super disappointing.

Having said that, about half of it is various degrees of enjoyable.

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

So far, I'm finding the album title to be an adequate descriptor of the content.

25. KBradley

the earth is not a cold dead place.

I'm going to be honest, it's way better than I expected after hearing Do It, Try It.

That said, this record is only decent, not great. Which is disappointing from someone who made a masterpiece like HUWD.