Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lynn From PVRIS Responds to VIP Package Criticism • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Of course there is an uneven power dynamic between an artist and a fan. One is the artist, one is the fan. One is a celebrity in the mind of the other, that will never be an equal dynamic. But, the idea that paying something creates an inequality by default I find ridiculous. Giving money for an experience, or to someone, doesn't defacto shift this power.

And The Maine are kings of monetizing their fanbase at virtually every point. Those "gold bundle" packages for the 8123 Fest cost more than the PVRIS meet and greet! Their packages for their latest album are exactly running their business this way! They just also care a lot about their fans, as do PVRIS, which proves my entire point that you can do both.

Zoshchenko and scottlechowicz like this.
  2. Make better arguments then. I'll listen to a good one, yours just aren't anywhere close.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

A lot of times, when a band does this, I feel like they already feel there is an uneven power dynamic. I could be completely wrong, and don't mean to automatically refute your statement, because I do get it. I just also think about how many bands have stories about being approached at inappropriate times (that would never happen if there wasn't an uneven power dynamic in place) that would make me think the bands would prefer to at least have a set time for interactions like that.

To take it a step further, I'm sure it's much worse for bands with female members when it comes to being harassed in public places and wanting to instead have a safe space to meet fans.

Jason Tate and scottlechowicz like this.
  4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

You know, by charging money to see their shows, bands are creating an uneven power dynamic. I can't travel far and I don't really like paying money for tickets with Ticketmaster fees being what they are.

They should stream it for free.

5. I definitely think the writing of the entire post is confusing to begin with, but, that's a different topic.

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

But you are paying them/getting paid to provide work.

I'm not on the level of Craig and think it's a scam but I don't feel like for a fan it's a good deal unless there is more to it such as a special set and some swag to go along with it. Basically are they adding more to your experience than just taking a picture and signing some paper

7. Fucking Dustin

I think there is based on what I've read

Granted, what I've read is posts in this thread and the statement, so I'm probably wrong

8. transrebel59

Regular

That response is incredibly guilt trip-y.

trevorshmevor, FTank and Schooner like this.
  9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm talking more in general of the meet and greet thing as opposed to whatever band caused this ruckus in the first place.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  10. I remember when Max started his song shop and got destroyed by the internet music puritans as well, and I defended his ability to try and make money being an artist then too. I'll gladly die on the musicians should be able, and encouraged, to find new ways to monetize their talent hill. Especially in an industry where the making music itself is not going to be anywhere near the driving income for most artists.

I think imbuing bad motives to artists that put together VIP packages for tours (many times so that the tour actually makes sense to do in the first place), and attaching words like "exploitative" to them is actively ridiculous. The idea that everyone should only charge exactly one price per person at a show never made sense when every person going is willing to spend something different. (Which is why scalping, where bands see no extra money, exists.) Multiple price points for all kinds of fans is absolutely the right move and more bands should do it. I sell my time too, but because I call myself a "freelancer" hardly anyone says shitty things about me on the internet about it. But the moment an "artist" does it becomes what it always does and this weird "artists should basically starve" stigma comes out.

trevorshmevor and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. Fucking Dustin

Ah, I gotcha. I do agree with that. I mean, I agree that if an artist wants to charge fans a certain amount for just a meet and greet, they can do their thing, but as a consumer I'd personally definitely expect more than just meeting someone depending on the price.

12. Not always. Sometimes I'm paying to ask one question, or get paid to give advice. I've had people offer to pay me a few hundred bucks for a coffee when they're in town just to pick my brain or network. And holy shit have I had to pay some lawyers for some coin for basically the dumbest things over the years.

Second, if you pay for a VIP package you're paying for an experience (and some swag).

scottlechowicz likes this.
  13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Big time Old Guy Brenden move to call this "ruckus"

Brenden likes this.
  14. Fucking Dustin

Gosh darn whippersnappers with their rock band tickets

15. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Eh, people can do what they want. I would never purchase a meet-and-greet, but if people want to do it? More power to them.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

on the flip side people can definitely be entitled with meeting their favorite artists and honestly after you finish work do you want to talk to people? hell no, so I'm cool with paid meet and greets, I have no clue how much they should cost that's not something I'm good with

17. Fucking Dustin

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

19. TDenverFan

Regular

The response wasn't well done, and it does seem odd that the charity angle is only now being brought up.

That said, I am totally fine with this. If people are willing to pay 75 euro or whatever for a shirt and a picture with the band, let them.

20. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Meet and greets are cool because it's specifically meant for interacting with fans. Sometimes when artists hang out with fans after a show at a merch table or outside the venue, it can get very hectic and people are just throwing themselves in front of other people just for a quick picture or whatever. All the times I've met people from bands it was either after a show, or just running into them in public. I think the only person I'd pay to meet is Dave Grohl, but yeah I don't see a problem with this.

21. Tbh this is the best meet & greet package I've seen since the Jonny Craig one where he threw in a free macbook

church11, Schooner and Brenden like this.
  22. transrebel59

Regular

I really regret not going to the Copeland meet and greet where you got a CD with 2 unreleased songs because I figured those would just be online. It's been 6 months and those songs have never been leaked, which is incredibly surprising.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

check out the Copeland thread here ;)

Maybevictor likes this.
  24. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

It's an extra $80 (75 euro). You'd assume if you're raising prices to donate to charity, you wouldn't pass on that donation to the fans.

25. TDenverFan

Regular

Wow, did not realize the exchange rate was that close to even.