Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lydia Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Ben Lee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

I have to assume that nobody liked leighton. The saddest part was not hearing more from Steve. His guitar work was awesome on illuminate.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away

Didn't he join Gates, a much better band?

3. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I think that was Ethan Koozer. I have no idea where Steve ended up.

4. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

His guitar work was what made me fall in love with them. I know he made a record years ago of solo stuff but guess he never got to releasing it.

RaginCajun likes this.
  5. amorningofsleep

6. spenser Dec 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2020)
    spenser

Holy hell that's egregious. And it's not just that song, their song "Language" borrows heavily from Lydia's This is Twice Now, "Bloodline" is pretty reminiscent of I Woke Up Near The Sea, "Invisible Thread" is a lot like Lydia's Fate. I'm sure there's more. It's like they wanted to make their own Illuminate...

7. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I’m SO torn on this “reimagining” of This December. Some of the tracks get close to greatness but it’s just not doing it for me like I hoped it would. I can only hope that Leighton revisiting the album and hanging out with Maria again can maybe mean good things for future music. For me though, it will never be the same without Steve or a guitar player who can get close to his style.

8. ramres Dec 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2020)
    ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

Maria from This December just joined them on stage on their concert live stream and she's staying for the rest of the set.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.46.08 PM.png

Edit: Oh shit, we did a ranking? Here's mine:

1. Illuminate
    2. This December
    3. Paint It Golden
    4. Devil
    6. Assailants
    5. Run Wild
    6. Liquor
    7. I Was Someone Else

But I am one of the few who thoroughly enjoys old and new Lydia, so I find Liquor enjoyable even though it's nearly last. Haven't spent much time with the new album, but I did preorder the vinyl.

9. OotyPa

fall away

Listened to the reimagining today. Definitely wouldn’t call it stripped down. A lot more electronic than I was expecting actually. And I prefer the vocals of the original. But it was good, enjoyed it. Couple really beautiful moments.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Really cool to see Maria at the show, and the show as a whole was really well done too. Aside from that last run of songs tho I was hoping for a better set list. They said they’d play from each album but I don’t think we got any paint it golden.

11. Ben Lee

Yeah that was really well done. Everything sounded great, but the Illuminate and December songs really came through well.

I was hoping for Past Life but that’s okay.

disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  12. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Does anyone know: was this a show that had to be watched "live" or will there eventually be a replay for a day or so after the fact? I caught only a small part of it live and wanted to see the whole thing, obviously.

13. Ben Lee

I thought it would be able to replayed. I think they even mentioned it in the stream. I imagine they’ll upload a recording within the next day or two here.

Collins and anonimito like this.
  14. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Awesome - thank you!

15. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

16. ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

New EP is out covering some Run Wild songs and "Hospital". Leighton's dad died earlier this year, unfortunately, so he made the EP to cope.

17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Someone on Reddit said this was basically the EP they brought out on the string tour, which I didn’t think to make the connection to even though I could’ve sworn we’d heard these song renditions before. Haven’t played em back to back to confirm.

naturally I hope Leighton’s doing well and coping, but very selfishly excited to have music and activity in the pipeline

zachmacD and ramres like this.
  18. zachmacD

Trusted

Yeah, I'm 99% sure these are the same tracks they shared back in 2016. Not sure why he's acting like they just recorded them.

19. OotyPa

fall away

technically he didn't say anything about recording this session during that period, just that this is "the first of new Lydia music" we are going to hear :shrug:

enjoying these tracks.... honestly more than the Copeland strings album

20. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think it’s good. Charming song. Do we know if these are building up to something or just one-offs?

anonimito likes this.
  22. The IG caption said “the start”

Leighton also had a new story about new Cinema stuff coming soon

23. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Man, this community used to be all about some Lydia and the first single in years doesn't even get an Announcement post :verysad:

disambigujason likes this.
  24. OotyPa

fall away

I haven't given the new stuff too deep a listen but it seems they fell off after Assailants. Paint It Golden was alright though it was a big drop in quality, and Devil only had a few good songs. I think I listened to Run Wild once and didn't even try with whatever came next.

Nick likes this.
  25. amorningofsleep

I haven't been able to get into anything they've done since it basically became a Leighton solo project.

jciswhatis likes this.