Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lydia - Liquor (July 13, 2018) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Hit the nail on the head. Lazy bastard ran out of gas.

zachmacD and amorningofsleep like this.
  2. zachmacD

Trusted

I mean honestly, maybe that’s why they called it quits

3. Jusscali

But did they?

4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea I mean I certainly don’t disagree, it’s their most diluted/bland lyrically by far, and I agree it sounds compressed. There’s plenty of flaws to be found.

But as i alluded to before, I do think some of the signature Lydia vibes are there. I can’t listen to the piano in sunlight or strings in red lights without getting chills. I love how brooding and dark goodside sounds. After my first listen through I was just so glad that if we got a pop album that it at least retained some darkness and elegance throughout, even if it wasn’t lyrically great. In that regard I guess I give it extra points for ditching what I didn’t like about RW. Idk, when bands I like put out sub-tier 1 stuff I try hard to find things to like and I didn’t find that as hard to do on this one. It’s simple and shallow but just really catchy to me.

zachmacD and anonimito like this.
  5. zachmacD

Trusted

I agree with your points. Even the song I quoted (Lie to me) always gets a repeat listen. I also really like gypsy which got roasted in this thread but if you just look up the lyrics, there’s a lot to be desired. I enjoyed this album musically. It’s just a shame that the lyrics seemed to take a big hit this time around. This is obviously just my opinion but it just seems like they relied on his distinctive vocals instead of writing something compelling.

To me at least, Run Wild is almost perfect except for Paint my mind. I’m just not into their folkier songs.

anonimito and disambigujason like this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Oh man I remember the gypsy hate haha. Yea idk I think it’s catchy. I thought the initial backlash was shockingly hyperbolic compared to how similar albums on the site usually fare.
    As for RW, I do put riverman, SOYD, past life, and coffee with their best. It’s a solid record. I’m glad riverman seems/seemed to have become a set staple.

anonimito and zachmacD like this.
  7. zachmacD

Trusted

No love for “follow me down”? That’s my favorite on the album haha. I actually just found RW on vinyl for $30 so I’ve been listening on repeat

anonimito and disambigujason like this.
  8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I dig it for sure, but those are my solid top 4

zachmacD and anonimito like this.
  9. Matt Nuttall

I always loved the songs Smile, You've Won and December from their original record. That's what got me hooked on them.

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This December is such a magical album

11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I fucking love Smile, You've Won, A Story for Supper and Always Move Fast. top tier songs

amorningofsleep and Matt Nuttall like this.
  12. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Yep. That's the sound and band I wish they'd resurrect if they do decide to continue.

Anybody got recommendations for other bands who sound like This December?

amorningofsleep likes this.
  13. zachmacD Aug 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 20, 2019)
    zachmacD

Trusted

I ate an edible yesterday and fell in love with these guys again. I didn't ruin my high by listening to Liquor but everything else is so good. I listened to mostly Assailants, PIG, and Run Wild. The same goes for Devil but those albums are like stoner pop rock. So many little noises and layers that I just don't think the normal listener would appreciate. Based on some of Leightons lyrics, I think that's how these albums are meant to be listened to.

Paint My mind is a great example. I have consistently skipped that song since Run Wild came out 4 years ago but I fell in love that song yesterday and have been listening to it on repeat ever since.

Edit: This was probably obvious to a lot of people but it just clicked for me/I'm just remembering after not listening to their music in this way in so long

sonder and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  14. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

could def see Devil being a super fun listen in that situation! that whole album will always be associated with fun summer drives for me.

zachmacD likes this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

zachmacD, Matt504 and anonimito like this.
  16. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Well didn’t see this coming, enjoyed that one...

17. zachmacD

Trusted

I really enjoyed that. I can barely understand what he's saying but i can already tell its better lyrically than a majority of Liquor. I was pretty bummed thinking that was going to be their last record

18. Jusscali

It sucked for sure. I was worried as well.

19. zachmacD

Trusted

Based on the cover photo/profile pic, I'd say it's just Leighton again

astereo likes this.
  20. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Dig it. Run wild vibes.

jorbjorb and anonimito like this.
  21. it's okay. they kinda lost me after Devil I guess.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  22. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I'm into it.

23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Have liquor another listen this morning, still think it’s way underrated.

anonimito likes this.