Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lydia - Liquor (July 13, 2018) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 8, 2018.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Very constructive. I’m sure your taste is impeccable.

2. InExile

Regular

It is. Thanks for the feedback.

Jusscali likes this.
  3. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Got to open my record today and the colors are stunning

4. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I have a friend in your same situation who enjoys this album a lot more than I do.

I'm happy they actually can draw in new fans with this sound, but it just is never gonna be for me anymore.

5. NitrateDawn

Regular

Just took my first listen through and it's fine. I don't understand people saying it's terrible but it's completely unremarkable.

6. gave this a cursory listen. wasn't expecting much but was still left disappointed. Gypsy is fucking woeful and easily the low point on an album that didn't elicit a single positive reaction. what the fuck happened?

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  7. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

I, unfortunately, have to agree with the majority of opinions here...I was actually kind of into the single they put out, and went into the album hoping to enjoy it for what I expected it to be (i.e. more Run Wild-esque/electronica rock). I loved loved Devil, and Run Wild was pretty good imo, but I do enjoy The Cinema. This felt like a watered down, uninspired Cinema album though...I also want to ask the band what happened. Which sucks, I'm so bummed about this...I couldn't even make it all the way through. Like someone else mentioned, if nothing else I was hoping the songs would at least be catchy and good summer background music, but even that feels like a stretch.

Bleh...will keep trying to like this and am here for more future Lydia, but right now this just left a bad taste in my mouth..

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I really disliked Run Wild and thought this one was totally fine, but unremarkable.

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Apparently hot take: sunlight and red lights are top 5-10 Lydia songs

10. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Impossible because Illuminate has 11 tracks. They’re top 12-17 at best.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  11. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

That might be the hottest take I’ve ever heard.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Sunlight is infectiously catchy and red lights is like sounds in your dream meets Illuminate

Nate_Johnson, jorbjorb and anonimito like this.
  13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i respect the shit out of you for stannin something you believe in but fuckin delete this

Matt Metzler likes this.
  14. jorbjorb

7 rings

The last album actually got me into this band. Not minding this record either.

anonimito and disambigujason like this.
  15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Idk people, I get being underwhelmed but I can only imagine most of the hyperbole here is out of frustration for what the album isn’t. I love the piano and vocal melodies in sunlight, its a gorgeous sounding song to me. Red lights has strings, classic leighton, female vocals, no cinema-type synth line. It’s clearly his olive branch to the fans of old.

Like I said, I get being underwhelmed, and admittedly the record is relatively flat and diluted, but there is nothing offensively bad about it. One could say that’s a critique in itself, it’s not fresh or unique, but my argument is that still doesn’t warrant the level of hate it’s getting. under another band name I think the site would be eating those 2 songs up.

Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  16. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I’m enjoying all of it so far (even Gypsy).

I guess I was able to bury the old Lydia back when they broke up the first time with the Assailants EP though. Everything since then has felt like a different poppier band to me and I’ve only really listened to Devil out of the last 3 albums.

Liquor is just straight up fun and has some great hooks in it. It’s a top tier summer album in my opinion and it’s great to hear the band experiment a bit with a different sound.

17. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

I think you're blowing the amount of "hate" it's getting out of proportion. Art is art: some fans are disappointed because it isn't the Lydia we're all still hoping will emerge again but there are tons of kids on their Instagram and I'm sure elsewhere who love the newer sound. It goes both ways.

I'm pretty much nearing the point of never discussing Lydia on the internet again because I always feel like a broken record when I do. They've demonstrated for three albums that their old sound is never coming back, but I'm never gonna stop giving their music a shot on the off-chance that it does. The new sound just isn't for me and you are absolutely right that with another band name, I wouldn't care one bit. But since Leighton decided to carry on the Lydia name, he is always gonna be compared to the original lineup and their older sound. I'm sure he and the newer members are absolutely sick of the comparisons but he did it to himself.

My off-the-cuff reaction - I can't believe people are comparing a single second of this album to Illuminate.

Rowan5215 and Matt Metzler like this.
  18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I was more surprised by the level of hate from those who do hate it rather than the amount. I mean, it’s like 4 of us posting in this thread so I acknowledge it’s not a large amount of hate haha.

But the rest of your post speaks more to my point, that this is a site that generally embraces poppier music very well and is very quick to, quite frankly, destroy people for hoping for a return to old sounds. I mean, I’m ready to shut the debate down bc people have their tastes, I’m just trying to say that this is stylistically more a return to Illuminate than the last 2 than I think people are giving credit for simply because it’s not as good, but at this point its an entirely different genre anyway. I went into this hoping for a more subdued record that wouldn’t sound like the cinema, and to me it checks those boxes.

19. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yes, I know, I’m one of those people lol Illuminate is a top 3 all-timer for me too. I agree the quality as a whole isn’t anywhere near it, I’ve made that clear (aside from those 2 songs). All I’m saying is I think that at times the sounds and vibes here remind me more of Illuminate than the last couple records did, and for that I like it. That is a fair thing to say. I’ll continue to hope for better along with everyone else, I’m just going to be a bit more active in searching for what I like in Liquor while we wait. That doesn’t make me wrong. My original point wasn’t to say this is the record we’ve been waiting for, just that I do see some of those old traces (and other things similar to other things people like).

20. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Agree on most points, especially your point that criticism is coming out of what the album isn’t. I think earlier in the thread someone said there was a band member change(?), and it’s interesting to think what impact that could have.

Admittedly I’m not a super fan and feel I have followed Lydia long enough to expect this album to be, if not a musical growth, at least an experimentation. But it wasn’t that, I’d say that it’s a Cinema album done poorly.

21. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Yeah this sums up how I feel after initial disappointment.

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

On a much more positive note, few records have grown on me quite like Devil has. Listened to it on a long drive yesterday and it was lovely.

sonder, Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I forget all the names/details/timelines and Wikipedia is cloudy on it but yea pretty big changes. I think Leighton’s currently the only constant? One guitarist is now in Gates. So you can see why many wanted a name change upon the reunion.

24. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

ahh see I thought I was missing something here. thanks for clearing that up.

disambigujason likes this.
  25. J.love

Regular

This would have been a great The Cinema album. Not what I want from Lydia.