Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lydia - Liquor (July 13, 2018) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I can’t find this anywhere and I hate doing my first listen on a non-premium Spotify shuffle hahahaha

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i'm dreading listening to this

3. NitrateDawn

Regular

Man I'll be really curious to listen to this album after reading all these reactions haha. I've pretty much accepted that they're not the band they were and don't hope for much with each new release at this point, so it's kind of just a curiosity for me now

4. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I’ve liked every release a decent amount. I actually think they are fairly consistent with one obvious high point. It’s always summer music for me.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, not into this one after a couple forced listens. Reminds me of The Cinema and not Lydia.

Gonna listen to Illuminate and Assailants now.

6. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

To add to the chorus of mixed receptions, liking this one a lot more than Run Wild out of the gate

beachdude42 and disambigujason like this.
  7. SteveLikesMusic Jul 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 13, 2018)
    SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

“Let It Cover Me Up” is goooood.

Also digging Way You Want It.

But I can’t believe he’s capable of producing stuff as bad as Red Lights and Gypsy.

8. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I hate the pre-release singles so much it's gonna be a while before I bother listening to this. There's so many other things I'd rather listen to. Like Sportscentre in the background while I stare blankly at a wall and contemplate my own death.

9. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I liked all of this except Gypsy.

I want to see them work with Aaron Marsh. With the way both their music has been moving I think that could come out really cool.

beachdude42 and anonimito like this.
  10. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

The tracks Aaron produced on "Run Wild" were my favorites on that album! :-)

11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I didn’t realize he worked with them on that record!

Palmquist made this record sound great, no doubt, but I would want Aaron to really get in there and work with them on the music and songwriting, almost like another member of the band.

beachdude42 and anonimito like this.
  12. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Yep - about half of the album!

I would love for that to happen, too!

Edit:
    Aaron produced and also arranged the strings for these songs:

Riverman
    Past Life
    Coffee Drips
    Watching the Lights
    Follow Me Down

13. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Well, after first listen I'm about as disappointed as I expected to be. Arrangement and production are good-to-great on most of the songs. However, the lyrics are SO uninspired and Leighton's enunciation and delivery on a lot of it is just...not for me.

The only song worth a hoot is "Let It Cover Me Up"; I'm never gonna see these guys live again.

14. NitrateDawn

Regular

Haha yeah they're one of the most boring live bands I've ever seen

15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I always thought they’d be much better live if it felt more singer/songwriter-y than full band. Their music shouldn’t be blaring loud, it should just be leighton with a guitar or piano.

16. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

this is so, so bad, wow

Gypsy is the worst song I've heard this year

KidLightning and Matt Metzler like this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

If gypsy is the worst song you’ve heard this year you’re having a hell of a good year lol chorus is catchy as heck.

18. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

That chorus... is not catchy. It’s one of the laziest hooks I’ve heard in a long time.

Rowan5215 and KidLightning like this.
  19. disambigujason Jul 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 14, 2018)
    disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Still works for me. I like the instrumentation on the song a lot too; only thing I don’t like is the modulated vocals in the verse. The record has flaws but based on past records and peoples’ critiques of them I can’t for the life of me understand the super hate for this.

20. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I mean, for me, it comes down to feeling like this band used to write really smart songs, and all of their newer stuff for the most part is just dumb. There’s no depth to their songs anymore.

sonder and Rowan5215 like this.
  21. Rowan5215

Devil, The Exit, Eat Your Heart Out etc are examples of how this band could do catchy and still maintain their textured sound, and a fair bit of emotion

this is one-dimensional, plasticky schlock with absolutely nothing below the surface... and yeah it's not really even catchy either

Matt Metzler likes this.
  22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I just started listening to this band extremely recently, so obviously I don’t have the preconceptions and expectations others here do... but I like this album quite a bit! Very pleasant fun summer pop rock, I can see myself playing it a lot in the next few weeks.

23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I get that and I think it’s fair. I mean, I have just as much love and preference for the older stuff as anyone and I think @Rowan5215 made a good point about the textured sound in the post below yours.
    On the other hand tho I think when you take it out of the context of their past work I think this record sounds a lot (musically and lyrically) like a lot of other pop/indie/rock that does really well around the rest of the site so I that’s where most of my shock comes from.
    Honestly tho I think as long as this didn’t have any super bubble gum poppy synth I was gonna like it lol that’s what turned me off of some of run wild.

24. Rowan5215

That's fair. If this had come out under a new band name I didn't know, I would've thought it was solidly average, with some nice vocals but nothing at all that grabbed me or thought worth returning to.

But I can't help thinking about a Lydia album in terms of Lydia's past work, it's human nature. And knowing what Lydia are capable of, even with the reduced line-up (Devil is still fucking great) this is just a bad album to my ears.

disambigujason likes this.
  25. InExile

Regular

This site likes a lot of shit bands tho tbh.

amorningofsleep likes this.