Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lovedrug - Relive (December 22, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by thedrudo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]
    Lovedrug - Relive - December 22

1. Confession
    2. Ocean
    3. King of the Mountain
    4. Dark Rider
    5. Get Over It
    6. Novocain
    7. Love
    8. Star Born
    9. Cobra Strike
    10. My Neighborhood
    11. S.I.C. (You Call Me)
    12. Rewind

Had no idea a new album was so close. Three tracks are available for anyone who wants to pre-order.

2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Also had no clue a new album was about to come out.

3. Holding off on making my EOY list until I hear this. Really came out of nowhere.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

What’s the lineup now? Isn’t the lead singer the only original member still active? Also, I did not like Notions at all, so I’m hoping this doesn’t sound like that.

5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

These guys just keep going and going, and I've only liked one song by them in the last 4 or 5 albums ("Wild Blood")

I'll probably skim for highlights at this point

New song is interesting and possibly good

6. jedm

Really, Notions was a great album, topped off with Stalker and Death Becomes Us, two of their best songs.And how could you only like one song? what about "ladders"? Premonition,we were owls. dinosaur, Anodyne! WOW!

KidLightning likes this.
  7. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Both Notions and Wild Blood are great.

WB is probably my favorite album of theirs.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Underrated band. Pumped for this.

9. Listened to Notions today, more bangers on there than I remembered. Excited to hear this.

10. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Pretty solid on first listen.

"My Neighborhood" is great.

11. This isn't bad, but so far it isn't grabbing me much beyond the first three tracks. Tonally it kind of reminds me of The Sucker Punch Show, which is near the bottom of their discography for me.

12. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Top three...

1. My Neighborhood
    2. Rewind
    3. Ocean

MN and Rewind are top tier Lovedrug songs for me.

13. totallysweet

Are we about to kiss?

That halftime switch-up at the end of "King of the Mountain" was a nice pay off. Excited to dig into this. Lovedrug always brings it.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  14. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

KidLightning likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

:(

I loved a lot of this band’s releases. Makes sense though- they stuck it out for awhile.

16. Nyquist

Yeah I was actually surprised when Wild Blood came out because it seemed pretty touch and go for a while there when they were releasing the three EPs. It was even more surprising every time they kept coming back after that. I’m sad, but they did have a good run. Wonder if Michael will start another project or maybe work on another Boys On The Radio album.

17. totallysweet

Are we about to kiss?

He and his wife have a new project called Teenage Eagle.

Nyquist likes this.
  18. Nyquist

Thank you! I had no idea and just bought the two singles they’ve released.

19. New album just popped up in my new releases on Google Play. Came out last Friday. (III) is a reimagining of Everything Starts Where It Ends in the same manner that (II) reprised Pretend You're Alive.

According to their Instagram, this is supposed to be a "closing chapter," but they also say "forever is a long time" in several comments. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was more Lovedrug music at some point in the future.

ESWIE is my favorite Lovedrug album, so it's awesome that they did this. It's got a somber and washed out vibe that I definitely don't prefer to the energy of the original, but it's still very cool to hear the songs stripped back like this.

20. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

just discovered this band on my Spotify Daily Mix.
    Black Out is stuck in my head now.

Anyone have a recommended listening order for all their stuff?

coleslawed and OotyPa like this.
  21. Nyquist

Funny this should get brought up. I just discovered like a month ago that the band was reformed and a new album was released during the pandemic, Turning Into Something You Were Never Meant to Be. Pretty cool to find out they’re back and have a whole new album’s worth of material to sink into. I really like it.

22. Nyquist Jun 29, 2022
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2022)
    Nyquist

Also, I would honestly start at the beginning with Pretend You’re Alive and move forward in release order because they went a little more pop with their sophomore big label album. Then notoriously took a hard turn on their third album, The Sucker Punch Show. Once you listen to that one, make sure you listen to the alternate version of the album they released later, Sucker Punched. The 2010 EPs +/- Parts 1, 2, & 3, Wild Blood, and Notions are all solid and then they get pretty experimental after that where they’re basically recreating their first few albums.

23. I think the consensus is that their first two albums are by far their best, though all their releases are worthwhile IMO.

I personally think Everything Starts Where It Ends is an underrated masterpiece. It's in my top 25 albums of all time. Pretend You're Alive is the album most seem to prefer, though.

Transient_Hymn likes this.
  24. Yes, OK fine, I will post my album rankings :-p

Everything Starts Where It Ends
    Pretend You're Alive
    Wild Blood
    Notions
    Relive
    The Sucker Punch Show
    Turning Into Something You Were Never Meant to Be

Might be a bit hard on Sucker Punch Show here, I liked it more than most when it was released, but I revisited it recently and it didn't do much for me at all.

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i’m pretty partial to the +/- ep’s and Wild Blood

Nyquist and Patterns in Traffic like this.