Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

How do you think those women felt even just by him asking tho? Do you think they felt comfortable? Do you think they felt safe? No, because he is harassing them. If anyone ever asked to masturbate in front of me or did it over the phone I would feel in danger, I would feel violated, objectified, and like I was unwelcome and disrespected in that space. I would not want to ever be around this person again, which sux when that person is a huge name in the industry and is everywhere. They shouldn't have to hang up a phone or leave a room because one man can't conduct himself in an appropriate manner.

2. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

There is a state of emotional/physical being, called "shock". It is produced from moments of neuro trauma, extreme discombobulation leading to indecision and lack of coherence generally follow. Try it some time, real fun stuff.

3. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

None of those things make him less wrong. This is about him being wrong, not other people having to deal with it.

Aaron Mook and FTank like this.
  4. chris

Trusted Supporter

"starstruck"? man, fuck outta here

5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Very upsetting, but I kinda feel like he always gave off that "I'm gonna do what I want and consequences be damned" vibe. I'm sadly not that surprised.

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This is the first one that I'm genuinely a big fan of, to the point where I've given him my money quite a few times. This is really fucking sad and disappointing

zachmacD likes this.
  7. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I'm guessing Fred Armisen is gonna come up sooner or later. I've been hearing stuff for a while and he just strikes me as a big, smug creep.

8. transrebel59

Regular

Yeah, and there were countless outings of people in the film industry prior to the past couple months. You know what I meant. I'm talking about a mass outing with consequences. The fact that you compare the "outings" from the music industry to what is going on in the film industry where people are being fired and blacklisted is troubling and makes me question things that I heard about AbsolutePunk.

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

to help with the embed
    comments are quite startling

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I will say, in relation to that- it is time that as a scene, we admit we did a fucking number on the Eisley girls, based on lyrics by a bitter, angry men. I feel bad about my part in trashing them to this day.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. cwhit

all that stuff was just so commonplace for so long. what separates the good from the bad is how we acknowledge past problematic behavior and work to improve ourselves and others around us. it just sucks that we had to get to this point in the first place

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

exactly. that's why i always try to come from a place of like, if i can learn, you can learn. not always the best at it, but i try. i want to see a positive culture change so badly. this whole purge is so shitty to be immersed in as a survivor of abuse, but damn will it be worth it if people stick to it and we start getting these abusers out.

13. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I want to ask both of you about something inspired by cwhit's post with that embed, since I trust both of your knowledge about these topics a lot and want to be able to handle it in the best way.

If there's a situation where someone you know or know of (in the music realm) has committed gross sexual "misconduct" for lack of better word, and the victim doesn't seem to want to out that, but the information on it is still out there for anyone to see really...is it something you bring to light to help others know to avoid this person/band? Or is it something that you leave alone out of respect for the victim, to make sure she doesn't feel unsafe?

14. cwhit

does the victim not want to be the person to say something or does she want want the abuser to be outed? does the person not want to be part of this at all? mostly importantly you need to respect the victim’s wishes but it does put you in a tough situation because you don’t want them to hurt someone else.

15. Fucking Dustin

Basically the third, the victim doesn't want to be a part of this at all. Like, if I were to say something, I could without outing the victim to everyone else, but it would still put her in a bad position with the abuser. So I think you're right that I just need to respect her wishes and not say anything, but yeah it sucks a lot.

16. cwhit

If there’s a way to do your best to keep this person away and out of spaces without giving the specific story you absolutely should, but outing victims is absolutely not okay

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

Agreed, that's the approach I've been taking but it always feels like I could do more so I wanted confirmation that I've been taking a decent approach and that too much more in the actual case's specificity would be too much. Thank you!

I guess when that wall is hit, the only other thing that can be done is to take more general action towards sexual abuse as a whole instead of specifically going after this instance

18. cwhit

it's very easy to make a good statement, but much harder to make that statement when you actually should.

CarpetElf and KidLightning like this.
  19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah. He dismissed all this as "rumors" when asked about them. Once HBO dropped him and his FX deal was threatened and his movie was pulled, now he has something to say. Fuck Louis CK. Hope the best for the women affected and his daughters and wife.

20. Fucking Dustin

One of the replies mentions that he never actually says "sorry" in the statement, interesting

cwhit likes this.
  21. cwhit

he talks about himself quite a lot in the statement. the statement should never be about yourself, it should be about the victims

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  22. cwhit likes this.
  23. What are you taking about?

24. Uhhhhh

25. zachmacD

Trusted

What else would you want him to say? I feel like this is more than I expected from him based on his previous behavior. Also as far as the timing of the statement, as shitty as this is to say I highly doubt anyone would confirm these rumors before they absolutely had to. If you have an example of someone proving other wise, please let me know because I'm actually interested. Regardless of the timing, this is behavior that should never be tolerated. I think most people would've written him off