Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

You mean like Ian Watkins formerly of Lostprophets, Twiggy Ramirez formerly of Marilyn Manson, Ben from PWR BTTM, Austin Kerr formerly of Set It Off, Ethan of Crystal Castles, Rachel of He Is We, Glenn formerly of Moose Blood to name just a few off the top of my head?

It's been slowly coming out for longer than the film industry.

Aaron Mook and skogsraet like this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it was ben not liv

also, none of those have the cultural power or clout that any of these recent reveals have

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Harry Corrigan/John James Ryan as well. People happen to forget that one

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Ah, I couldn't remember so looked it up and an article said it was Liv. Edited, cheers.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I mean I wasn't doing an exhaustive list. Just making a point.

6. cwhit

other than dr luke most of the music industry people have been niche musicians, rather than huge cultural influencing figures such as a louis ck, a kevin spacey, a harvey weinstein.

7. cwhit

there is nothing to do with mental health here. please don't make it about that

summertimejesus and SamLevi11 like this.
  8. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Did anything happen to Dr Luke?

Also, I'd add that here in the UK, Lostprophets were genuinely massive. Like, about as big as rock bands get, pretty sure they were stadium sized.

9. cwhit

he's still fighting in court and still holding things over kesha

the legal system sucks

10. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I feel like this is an unfair blanket statement.

suicidesaints and Chinesefood like this.
  11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Lol how is it a blanket statement when I specified that it’s just the ones I’ve met

12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Must say I always enjoyed his comedy. There were times I thought it went a little too far for my tastes but I enjoyed a fair amount of it. Guess I'll be ignoring it from now on. It's hard to look at some of the riskier material as "only a joke" now, isn't it...

13. I don't think society cares.

Checks the White House.

Yeah, society doesn't care.

14. JM95

Trusted

Feel sorry for his two daughters. Really sucks for them.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Aaron Mook like this.
  15. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

That might be the most stand out part of this article to me. He called to apologize and didn't correctly remember how he even victimized her. And then makes you wonder, well who did he shove into a bathroom?

chewbacca110 and OhTheWater like this.
  16. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I guess you're right. But if you can take "Louis C.K. fan (I've met) = misogynist" and then dislike Louis C.K. because of those people it seems it'd be easy for you to assume it equates to all fans. Regardless, you didn't say that, but I took it that way and I'll not assume. I feel like he still did a decent amount of progressive work or approached difficult topics like in Horace and Pete. Regardless that doesn't really equate or relate to him masturbating to people without consent so this comment really doesn't even matter anymore.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Caught that as well

18. transrebel59

Regular

And Roman Polanski has been on the run for longer than those bands have been around.

I get what you're saying but I'm talking about a mass purge with consequences, similar to what is happening in the film industry.

19. zachmacD

Trusted

This is pretty crazy. I'm interested to see what comes of this. This is the first person who's been outed that I really enjoy their work.

20. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah I felt as though the music industry started exposing these things first and film etc are now catching up...
    This really sucks. I feel awful for the woman involved. And much much less awful (but still kinda bad) for all of us who have unknowingly supported many of these artists/actors for years. Now we find out they're shitty people. I feel a little guilty for being like "this sucks for me, I can't enjoy (whoever) anymore" when the victims of sexual misconduct are 100000x more important. But still, it does suck. And you have to wonder how many more people are going to be exposed. We are all supporting awful people right now, almost undoubtedly, we just don't know who yet.

21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Theres going to be more and there should be. I do comedy in Chicago, and this sort of thing, is far too common and people will associate with known monsters, all for the possible betterment of their career, which is sad.

22. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I'm am not trying to say what he did was okay, and I fully believe that he did these acts. Crossing the line, yes but...Masturbating in front of three women who didn't want to see it is wrong. But they were not being held in his room against their will and just let it happen because they were starstruck or whatever. Masturbating on the phone? She could have just hung up...I mean he was doing it first. Asking to masturbate in front of a women, but doesn't because she says no? How would that be considered harassment? This is also definitely a mental health issue to I believe.

23. Jason Tate Nov 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2017)
    Ok, now my "walking up to the line" comment/warning thing is just you being fucking disgusting?! Come on. How, how is this a real post? I can't today. I just can't.

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

tbh he's always felt off for me. My ex liked his standup so I've seen some of that and I tried watching a few eps of his show cause he seemed so beloved but it just felt off and made me uncomfortable. It's brave of them to speak out because comedy is such a toxic boy's club.

25. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Uhhhhhh you know what I’m tired can someone else take that garbage fire

Actually let me edit to add that if ya really can’t see an issue with asking random women if you can masturbate in front of them, please don’t ever go in public or speak to a woman again. We will all be grateful.

Shakriel, Aaron Mook, mercury and 2 others like this.