Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes (February 24th, 2017) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by matthaber, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Wondering if anyone has copies of Heat Rash #1/#2/#4 to sell. Probably hoping against hope here, but I recently recovered #3 - I had to sell the full set a few years back after LC! became a band I just couldn't bear to listen to in the aftermath of a bad breakup. Times change, and I'd love to have these back in my life again after falling back in love with LC! since I Broke Up in Amarante dropped last November. Can't hurt to ask, right?

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The lyrics in The Fall of Home are so god darn sincere, and brilliant.

Another family friend fell sick, gave the fascists a thousand ticks. Left your hometown for somewhere new. No surprise it's leaving you....theeeee falllll offff hoommmee

SteveLikesMusic and matthaber like this.
  3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

ive been looking for those 7" for so damn long lol. Those and the acoustic 10". Everytime any of them get posted to discog.com they are bought within 30 seconds. its brutal

4. R I G H T? The Heat Rash stuff really needs to be collected and released fully, along with Tiptoe & some other stuff from around the same time.

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

mwahoo likes this.
  6. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

So what's the deal with Heart Swells? Just got into this band and saw that there where 3 different Heart Swells. Any connection between them?

7. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Similar themes mainly. They tend to name songs in reference to each other when they touch upon similar feelings/subjects. There is also like 4 documented emotional breakdowns.. You'll also notice a lot of their lyrics will reference each other. From interviews im pretty sure Gareth mainly does this cause he always enjoyed when his favourite bands built those kind of intertwined discographies.

Jesse West likes this.
  8. JoshShulkin

Regular Supporter

Speaking of intertwined-ness of songs, has anyone found where Doe Eyes is mentioned in this album?? I haven't spent a lot of time with the lyrics quite yet, and was just curious haha

I Am Mick likes this.
  9. Carrow Mar 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2017)
    Documented *Minor* Emotional Breakdowns, namely the track of the same name from WAB,WAD; We've Got Your Back from Romance is Boring; Baby I Got the Death Rattle from Hello Sadness (not officially but Gareth is on record as having said this); and She Crows from Heat Rash #4.

On that note, I remember how I absolutely lost my shit when I realised that the opening lines on Ways to Make it Through the Wall ("I think it's fair to say that I chose hopelessness / And inflicted it on the rest of us") were a callback to My Year in Lists ("I must confess that, at times like these, hopefulness is tantamount to hopelessness"). They're really fucking good at doing this sort of thing.

e: @JoshShulkin I checked, and there's no doe eyes reference on this record to the best of my knowledge :)

I Am Mick likes this.
  10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Gareth also said in an interview that 5 Fluclocxacillin is a Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown

I Am Mick likes this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah. I'm super into the call backs

12. 5 Flucloxacillin (Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #5) would have made a clumsy as fuck title.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  13. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Revisited this today, I still think it's one of the best things to come out so far this year. The one-two punch of Amarante/A Slow, Slow Death gets me every time.

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

It's probably my most-played album so far in 2017

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

his voice seems a lil bit shot at some parts in that. he sounded much more confident and powerful at my show

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Honestly that performance that was posted earlier in the thread where they played Here's to the First Time was not great I thought.

Still love the album.

I Am Mick likes this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Here's To The Fourth Time has not sounded good in any of the live versions I've found, and it's because you can actually hear the keys. They don't fit the song, it sounds completely out of tune and it's baaddd. The version on the record is dope though

I thought the other songs on the KEXP session were good, I've heard Gareth sound much more blown out

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Fuckk, they're selling the limited edition DOOMED soccer jersey's again and I just can't justify paying $60 on a shirt but they're so dope

20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Renata Dall'Ara (2008) will be their next music video. Easily my favorite song released this year

matthaber and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  22. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Also this is old, but never saw it posted here

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

That's an actually fun live/tour video, unlike most. I like that Niagara Falls made it in there.

24. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Hello Sadness may not be my favorite LC! record, but damn if "Baby I've Got the Death Rattle" and "Light Leaves, Dark Sees II" isnt a fucking amazing two-song punch to close out the album.

25. Crisp X Apr 30, 2017
    (Last edited: May 1, 2017)
    I can't get enough of this record. Over the years, with my tastes growing and shifting to many new styles, Los Campesinos have become one of my favorite bands.

matthaber, Cameron and thebloodhound like this.