Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Angeles Thread Location • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheDarksighed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Craig Ismaili May 6, 2016
    (Last edited: May 6, 2016)
    Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm going to be in LA from 8:30-8 PM next Monday the 13th and then possibly intermittently the rest of the week after that (staying with a friend in Santa Barbara for the week. Tell me some things to do.

Also important: Places to eat

2. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Hit Ventura on your way between Santa Barbara and LA. The beaches in Ventura are awesome, there is killer seafood down at the harbor, and an outlet mall (well, in Camarillo) if you feel the need to pick up some super cheap clothes.

If you're into the Marvel movies, maybe see if you can catch a screening at the El Capitan theater. It's all decorated for Civil War, and it's a cool experience.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Where in LA? And do you want SB tips too, or does your friend have that covered? I grew up there

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Yeah both would be great. I'm coming in through LAX, but anywhere I can get to by Uber or whatever would be cool with me. I've been told the public transit system is garbage. I'm also takin a greyhound out to Santa Barbara by Hollywood Blvd, so there too, if possible.

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I will do both of these in the week I'm out there. I definitely think we're going to hit up the beaches in Ventura at least

6. irthesteve

Yeah Uber is your best bet. The metro is super underrated and useful, just no one uses it. What kind of stuff are you looking for. Food, sights, museums, breweries/wineries?

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

So would public transit be the easiest way to get to downtown from LAX?

All of the above. Just want options. Since I have to be up on Hoplywood Blvd anyway I was going to check out the walk of fame.

8. irthesteve

You could easily get downtown from LAX, take the green line to blue line and you're basically in the heart of it

map here:
    http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map_under_construction_2016-03.gif

If you get off around pershing square/arts district there's a lot of good food (a lot of Asian food, good pho, etc), breweries from walking distance of each other, then hopping on the red line from there gets you to Hollywood for walk of fame and other famous stuff, try to check out . Definitely a money saving option to take metro instead of ubers

9. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Awesome. Thank you so much! I had always heard that everyone drives everywhere in LA cause public transit was rough but this seems pretty decent!

10. irthesteve

Honestly, the problem is that LA is so dense and wide, that transit simply doesn't make sense for a lot of people. If I could get from where I live to work via the metro, I totally would, but it's just not an option due to where I live. I use it all the time to get from my office to Staples Center / downtown however, there is a really convenient line that goes that way. And people who have never taken the metro complain about it haha, so whatever

11. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

@Craig Ismaili The metro definitely gets a bad rep and if you're going to be going anywhere by bus then I'd for sure take Uber or Lyft. But if you're going to anything along any of the rail lines, it's super convenient and the trains usually run pretty often. Just make sure you look at the pricing! You can probably get a better deal by doing "one-way trips" instead of shelling out for a "day pass".

(I ride the metro exclusively instead of driving so honestly if you need any tips or anything I'm glad to help!)

12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm only taking the bus for my trip out to Santa Barbara. It was much cheaper than flying in from Atlanta (where I'll be for Shaky Knees) to Santa Barbara directly, and I get to make a day out of it in LA so that's cool too.

13. irthesteve

just want to point out that Monday is not the 13th, haha

14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Sigh, right Monday the 16th. I fly out to Atl on the 13th for Shaky Knees and then tonLAX on the 16th

15. irthesteve

Ahh that makes more sense! Haim is playing the 17th, but it's pretty sold out :-/

16. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I hope you're prepared for the giant hug you're getting for having the foresight to get me a ticket

17. irthesteve

Hey, I gotta find some way to keep your friendship

18. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Oh hell yea, I may look into stubhub tix to hang. Is it GA?

19. irthesteve

Um, I think? Be careful on stubhub though, I remember this being one of those strict "bring photo ID and card you purchased with" kind of things

20. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Would anybody in here be able to help @Meerkat and I get a show set up in LA on June 16th?
    If possible an all ages venue would be awesome but we'd be happy to play anywhere that'll have us.

21. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Make sure your friend takes you to Los Agaves. That place is so good. If they have the Salmon Tropical dish available, get it.

22. irthesteve

You're moving in a few months and you don't have a place yet? That's scary! Depends where in LA you want to live though. Worth looking at Culver City, Burbank, Glendale, Sawtelle/West LA, Echo Park, Silver Lake, Torrance

23. irthesteve

I guess the timing thing is just about what works, and maybe it's just my experience, but it's hard finding "the perfect place," each time I've moved I've checked out like 10 different places before I find the right one.

Culver is mid-aged with good prices, safe area, close to Santa Monica/beach cities and not far from downtown
    Burbank/Glendale is cheaper, and close to the entertainment/movie industry, more rural but very far from the beach
    Sawtelle/West LA is basically Santa Monica, but a bit further from the actual beach, great food everywhere, not terribly far from downtown
    Echo Park/Silver Lake is hipster city, everyone is 20s/30s, good music venues around there, horrible parking though and traffic all around
    Torrance is furthest from "main" LA but is great for beach living, you're closer to Orange County, outside of the main traffic areas, and plenty to do in the area

24. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Check out Palms. It's the area in which I've lived for about two years. It's a small neighborhood in West LA. It boarders Culver City and the Sony Studios, but it's still a part of Los Angeles. Rent it Palms is a bit cheaper compared to most places in Los Angeles, and it's also a relatively easy drive up into Hollywood if you plan on going to a lot of shows.

25. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Anyone going to this? The people I'm staying with don't want to make the drive out cause it's too far, so I'm almost tempted to rent a car and make my way out to it by myself: