Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Angeles Thread Location • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheDarksighed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

Yeah you're right. It is not exactly on skid row but pretty close. I have seen some crazy things waiting in line there.

Since it seems to be a popular topic, which makes sense I guess since this is a music site, what's everyone's favorite venue in the area? I think mine is the Fonda. Parking isn't too bad, there is a bar next door with a door into the venue, the drinks inside are pretty reasonably priced, it has an awesome rooftop smoking area with a good view, and you can always find a good spot to stand and watch the show.

2. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

I've really been enjoying The Echo(plex). It seems like I've been there more so than any other venue over the past couple of years.

I thought The Teragram Ballroom was great when I went a couple of weeks ago.

Overall my absolute favorite venue would have to be the Eagle Rock Center for Arts. They do the occasional super-intimate show and I have some really great memories there that definitely puts it up as my fav.

3. There are a lot of venues I haven't been to yet, but I like The Troubadour because they have a small balcony section that relieves me from having to stand for an entire show. Not my favorite venue per say, but a couple of my favorite shows have been at The Roxy. Hard to describe, but there's an elevated platform there with a corner that's perfectly spaced for 1 or 2 people, and it's sorta perfect ha.

Saw Julien Baker here recently. I hadn't been there before, but I loved the setting, and parking is super easy.

cybele likes this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Troubadour is the best, Hotel Cafe is second, Fonda and El Rey after that

5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I haven't been to as many as I would've thought I'd have been to. El Rey is pretty cool. I like the Wiltern a lot. I haven' made it to the Fonda yet. As far as smaller rooms go, I like the Roxy. And I really liked the West Hollywood House of Blues before they shut it down

6. cybele

Damn I forgot to list The Troubadour. Great venue, I've never had a bad sight line and that's hard fort me since I'm short.

I can't wait to go to the Fonda for the first time in a few weeks.

7. irthesteve

Wiltern is GREAT if you can get to the front of any levels, otherwise it's really, really rough to see.

8. cybele

@irthesteve That's definitely my biggest issue with the Wiltern. I've been there a couple of times and both times I had to go hourssss ahead of time to ensure that I was in the "floor" area. Club Nokia (or whatever their new name is) does the same thing and when you get on the floor it's great. Anywhere else, not so much.

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I don't factor in visibility because I'm 5 feet and even of the best of circumstances usually don't have a clear view.

Also, Club Nokia is the worst and I will avoid seeing shows there as if attendance guaranteed a case of swine flu

10. irthesteve

@cybele Club Nokia is the worst worst worst. But I have never been on the floor, not worth going that early to me. The horrible view and the HUGE concrete columns make it impossible. Same as @Meerkat I avoid shows there now, it's real sad

11. cybele

I've seen Circa Survive there twice and both times I went obscenely early to make sure I made it on the floor. Even still, that was a couple of years ago at this point (yikes) and I just do not feel like I would do that again. It sucks waiting 4+ hours before a show just to make sure I get a good view.

12. irthesteve

Yeah, I was on the fence for the Juturna show, really wanted to go, but couldn't justify Club Nokia.

13. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Troubador is my favorite. I've only seen a handful of shows in LA, but Troubador is the cake.

DerekIsAGooner likes this.
  14. Only been there once (saw Atmosphere years ago), but I like the Greek Theatre a lot too. Cool setting.

15. irthesteve

Yeah, Greek is a great mid-size venue. I love being out under the stars like that, the whole park and observatory there is great as well

16. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Troubadour is the only place in LA I've been to and it was cool. Should be at Teragram next month.

17. flask

Trusted Supporter

Echo/plex is my overall favorite. Easy parking. Great venue with great sound (both upstairs and downstairs). Teragram would be awesome too if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere.
    Speaking of venues, I'm going to the theater at the Ace Hotel tomorrow to see EITS. Whats everyone's impressions on that place?

18. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

troubadour is my favorite bigger venue in la. pehrspace and the smell take the cake tho

19. irthesteve

Downstairs has a ton of places where it's really hard to see though, lots of things in the way which is tough for more busy shows. Otherwise I'm a fan

20. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

I'm going to be at the Ace Hotel tomorrow as well. So I have the same question.

21. irthesteve

Ace Hotel is a great venue, area around it gets a bit sketch at night but its honestly fine

22. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

Sweet, thanks. I was looking up pictures of the venue and it looks really awesome.

23. irthesteve

I just bought tickets about an hour ago for Anderson .Paak there next month, should be fun!

24. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

That should be a great show! I heard his live performance on KCRW and was quite impressed. If I wasn't out of town that day I would be there.

25. irthesteve

Long story short, I saw about 30 seconds of his set at Coachella and was SOLD haha