Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Angeles Thread Location • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheDarksighed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The LA Burger Records kids (only way I know how to put it) are.. interesting. Each city has it's own unique scene which I like, though.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I haven't actually been to The Shrine yet, almost have a few times but never pulled the trigger, looks like it's right next to USC though. Going to see The 1975 next week so I didn't jump for that show.

As for beers.... I don't really know that area now that I look at it, I'm sure there's some good college bars around haha. All the breweries aren't too far, depending which direction you are coming from

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. Cool cool. Yeah I have an astounding lack of knowledge about the LA area considering I've been there about a million times, and even lived in San Diego for a while. I always just kind of wind up in the same areas when I'm there, I guess. We're staying in a new place this time around, so I'm honestly not too sure where it is in relation to the venue.

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I saw CHVRCHES there in December. It's a stunningly beautiful auditorium with great sound. It's fucking huge

5. irthesteve

Where you staying, how long?

6. I think the neighborhood is called Highland Park? It's up near Eagle Rock and Pasadena. Gonna be driving up on Saturday and leaving on Wednesday!

7. irthesteve

Ah yes, you are definitely near Donut Friend hah. Looks like you are pretty close to Pasadena which is great, if you end up in that area there is a Stone Company store and nearby bar Congregation Ale House, both awesome. Downtown Pasadena has a ton of food places if you make a day of it.

Highland Park Brewery is supposed to be pretty good, as is Eagle Rock, but I haven't personally been to either. I think that's all I got for that area!

8. Oh nice! Thanks for recs. definitely gonna have to check out Pasadena, haven't explored that area much. I actually went to the Congregation Ale House in Long Beach about a year ago and it was great, glad to know there's another one nearby!

9. justinbullock

Formerly Juice182

Nice to see so many other locals!

10. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

On the topic of The Shrine.. Anybody seeing Thrice there in June? Cannot wait!

11. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

I've been to Shrine a few times. It has a huge floor and an upstairs balcony running all the way around. The sound is excellent but the drinks can be pretty expensive, if I remember correctly about 15 bucks for a beer. The area around it isn't tooo nice I have never gone out around there usually just head to the show then up to Pasadena or somewhere else to drink. And I second the Congregation rec. I'm at the one in Long Beach way too often...at least once or twice a week.

12. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Speaking of venues...

Has anyone ever been to The Teragram Ballroom? I'm seeing Enter Shikari there on Monday and realized that I actually know nothing about this venue other than the fact that it's downtown. I'll be taking the metro there from school, after class, so that'll be... fun?Not sure, haha.

13. irthesteve

I went and..... hated it honestly. The inside of the venue is pretty and fancy, three bars for some reason, but it's really in a bad bad part of town. Parking is fucking horrible, so good that you get to skip that. The sound was ok when I was there, but it was one of their first shows.

Curious what you'll think, if my experience was otherwise

14. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I'm coming 4 yall

Meerkat likes this.
  15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm seeing Tegan & Sara at Teragram next month

Joe, justinbullock and cybele like this.
  16. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

I'll have to see how the sound is for sure. Three bars definitely seems excessive but almost typical for venues at this point. Even the Echoplex has two bars. I'm figuring that it had typical drink prices?

17. irthesteve

I didn't actually get anything, I was by myself and tend not to spend $$$ at concerts alone

cybele likes this.
  18. justinbullock

Formerly Juice182

I'm going to the Roxy!

Meerkat likes this.
  19. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Anyone into playing music/know anybody who might be into playing music? Been scouring Craigslist for like a year for people to play with and have had little luck.

20. Has anyone been to a show at The Regent? How is it? Couple concerts were just announced that I want to go to, and they both happen to be there. Never been.

21. irthesteve

I haven't been there yet, I do see it popping up a lot more often for shows I'm interested in

22. Napoleon Solo

Newbie Prestigious

I've been to a couple shows there and it's an ok venue. The alcohol is reasonably priced especially for downtown. The floor is slanted down towards the stage so it can be a little uncomfortable standing on a slant the whole time. If you get there early you can get a great spot upstairs on flat ground. It is basically on skid row so if you want to grab drinks before or after you have to go at least a couple blocks away. When I saw Deerhunter there they were having some sound problems but the other two shows I have been too sounded great. Hope this helped.

Joe likes this.
  23. Thanks, this helps!

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

I'd say the Regent is a couple blocks from skid row. But I'd definitely stay west of the theater haha.

25. irthesteve

Skid Row and the area really bums me out, it's just so fucking sad. I hate the feeling knowing that it even exists, and I hate that there are people that are literally outcasts living on the streets over there. I dunno, I always get kinda scared driving around there, but I know that I really shouldn't be as scared as just straight up sad. Not quite sure how to put it all into words