Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Angeles Thread Location • Page 15

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheDarksighed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Lol, I admittedly have become a pretty entitled pedestrian.

Edit: what brought you to SoCal?

GEM37 likes this.
  2. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone been to the museum of Jurassic technology?

3. Andrew B

Any problem with contract disputes/drafting/review or issues pertaining to intellectual property (copyright and trademark) and publishing? TL Brown Law provides competent Legal Services in addition to a high degree of professionalism and accessibility. With two offices in the Los Angeles area and a network of associate attorneys spanning over 40 states across the country.

Thank you for the space.

4. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

No, but I did used to live right near it. I have heard it's a pretty cool place to check out.

5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Well, like a lot of people out here, I came out here to 'chase the dream' - in my case, act and do comedy. I've been involved with an improv group for around a year, and working on writing some more stand up, so that's good!

TBH though, at this point, it's really about self-improvement at this point. I've struggled with anxiety, depression, and compulsive behavior for almost my entire adult life, and it's really only in the past year that I think I've finally been finding the tools to start coping with it. I know it can sound 'culty' to say stuff like that out in SoCal, but I think I'm working a little more above board than that. ;-) It's slow, and often painful, but I honestly believe I'm doing better.

I still think here is the right place for me to be, at least for a while!

How about you?

6. Speaking of Echo Park, there's a taco place there called Guisados that's really good. I think they have other locations, but I've only been to that one. Now I want tacos..

7. flask

Trusted Supporter

Guisados is the best.

8. I have tickets to see Taking Back Sunday, Paramore, and Fall Out Boy. I saw Eisley in March.

What year is it?

9. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Hey kids! So I'm actually going to be moving back to the PNW - at least for a couple years - at the end of July. I'm actually excited about it, but I am sad that I haven't had the chance to meet up with more Chorus members during my time here.

So, I'd like to fix that! Anybody living in the NELA area who'd like to throw down at Donut Friend, hit me up and let's do something!

Also have tix in July to Deftones, Michelle Branch, Third Eye Blind, and TBS/ETID. If anybody else is going to these shows, I'd love to meet up!

10. Dog with a Blog

@GEM37 I love me some PNW. Whats promoting the move?

I just remembered I have to get up early in the morning and fly to LAX. Going to Long Beach to look at apartments and then I have a job interview on Monday. P exciting/nerve wracking

11. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Haha, well without getting into all the details, my financial situation changed and I figured I might as well stop fucking around as a CNA and just get a proper Nursing Degree. And it would be way easier to do it back home than struggle with it out here.

Also, not tell my whole life story like the last post, but I still have a lot of soul searching to do. 'Getting back to my roots,' so to speak. And I think the natural beauty of that area can do a lot to help.

Still have every intention of moving back to SoCal eventually! And I'll be sure to make visits over the next couple years. If you're ever in my respective vicinities and wanna meet up, you know how to find me!

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  12. Dog with a Blog

Left yesterday at 5am and got to El Segundo at 11am. Spent all day today in Long Beach at orientation. Waking up early af tomorrow and driving back to the Bay. I'm so tired lol

irthesteve likes this.
  13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Will go back and look through the pages, but I'm curious about probably the same stuff as everybody else. Places to live, people to see, etc.

Safe neighborhoods?

14. Dog with a Blog

I've only been on vacations so my opinion doesn't hold much weight but I probably enjoyed Silverlake the most

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

I found a place!!!! Officially moving to Long Beach next week

irthesteve and GEM37 like this.
  16. Oh shit, I'm going to see Taking Back Sunday in two days.

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Found an apartment and roommate in K-town and moving at the beginning of September!

irthesteve and Bloodsucker II like this.
  18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

All moved in and I'm scared shitless and I miss my parents and I would love some tips about how to feel less alone in this metropolis, haha.

I moved here from a town with like 70,000 people in it.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Lol, same. Though I spent a lot of time in Oakland/SF so it's not like I was a stranger to largely populated areas. How do you like your place?

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It's good! The one thing I have control over in this city haha. I'm in Koreatown, so pretty much right down the middle, as far as safe-wise.

21. Dog with a Blog

Right on, that's cool. I don't spend much time in L.A. proper as I'm in Long Beach, but my buddy said he wants to take me to K-Town to go drinking. I've lived here a month and the one thing I've found is that distance does not dictate the amount of time it will take to get somewhere, which can be frustrating. I was in Downtown L.A. last week and it took me twenty five minutes to drive 4.5 miles lol. Do you have roommates? Also, what brings you to SoCal?

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Haha I've been very lucky with traffic so far, hasn't been too bad. I have one roommate, which is perfect. I have a film degree and perform comedy, so I figured I'd come try it here and see how it goes.

23. Dog with a Blog

That's awesome, and ballsy, I wish you the best of luck.

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Thanks, I'm definitely nervous. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully will be better when I meet some people and make a few friends.

25. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Moving is always scary. I've actually just moved back home after living in L.A. for a couple years, and I'm somewhat surprised to find I'm feeling the same way now as I did then - lonely, anxious, and isolating most of the time in my room with the TV! The first month is always the hardest, but you will get into the swing of things once you start doing he things you're passionate about!

Not sure what your comedy background is, but if you're insterested in or have experience with improv, these guys are a great place to start! They meet every Monday night from 7-10 in South Pasadena (which is its own separate city from Pasadena, remember that) and unlike virtually every other class in town their attendance is FREE (if you sign up for a cycle class, it's only $10!) They also very much emphasize building community and friendship, and almost always go out to eat as a group afterwards. I found this group about two weeks after I moved to LA, and I'm so grateful I did - just a super generous, open, supportive group of people. Almost my entire social circle was made up of folks from the class or friends of friends of the class. I realize it's a bit of a slog to get there from K-Town, but I think it'll be worth the trip!

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475875209331655&ref=content_filter