Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Los Angeles Thread Location • Page 13

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheDarksighed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Troubadour and Teragram are my faves. Other than that I've been to the Mayan and the Roxy and I enjoyed those.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Omg I forgot Mayan too, there's so many damn venues haha

3. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

troubadour is the only bigger venue in la proper that i remotely enjoy at this point. loved pehrspace but rip. the smell is cool in theory but i don't think i've ever been at a show there and not felt like shit (usually for unrelated reasons) and also getting home sucks

junior high is cool. sort of. they have cool bands play & it is very pink.

4. RigoSoFar

I just want to say that I've been living here in LA for about six months now and, while I'm still not totally used to it here, I absolutely love it. I miss my hometown in Texas every so often, but I don't think I'd ever want to live anywhere else now.

5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Moved here from the Puget Sound, been here for about 18 months. Can't say I can imagine spending the rest of my life here, but waaayyy happier that I moved here from there.

So many favorites to choose from! Venue-wise, my favorite is probably The Wiltern. It reminds me a lot of The Showbox from back home: the bands always sound great and the crowds are always 110% excited to be there! But considering the absurd amount of venues out here in SoCal, I've had a lot of fun trying to hit up as many different venues as possible, as far as Santa Barbara to Santa Ana (and on a couple of occasions, San Diego.)

Other favorites (so far): The Glass House, Teragram Ballroom, Troubadour, and The Forum. Echoplex is the closest to me, and The Roxy is the most disappointing! Still need plenty of others to check out!

irthesteve likes this.
  6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

But what about those movie theaters!! Surely I can't be the only one here who moved to LA for the movies?

I see most of the new releases at the Cinemark in NoHo, $7.50 matinee with a reclining seat! Otherwise, most of my indies I see at the Laemmle Playhouse in Pasadena, and Quentin Tarantino's New Beverly is by far and away my favorite revival theater in town (cheapest concessions ever!!)

I also really like the Los Feliz 3 on Vermont Ave, both for its atmosphere and for the badass taco shop next door! I'd definitely go more often if the parking weren't so abysmal...

Any other favorites?

7. Dog with a Blog

I'm most likely moving to Long Beach next fall. Not necessarily L.A. but in that area-ish. I'm pretty excited. I'm just ready to get out of the Bay Area

8. The South Bay is really cool. I'm probably biased, growing up in Inglewood, but seeing as most transplants move to the east side or the valley I just thought I'd let you know it's a cool spot you're headed to, albeit a less popular one.

Edit: Not to be confused with the Bay Area's South Bay, of course.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  9. irthesteve

South Bay = best

10. Dog with a Blog

Noice. That's exciting. I've spent some time in El Segundo and enjoyed it, not sure if that's South Bay. I also really like Silverlake

11. GEM37

She haunts the roads

...G-Glendale's okay... :verysad:

cybele likes this.
  12. It's not quite but it's basically the gateway to the south bay haha

13. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I play soccer twice a week in Manhattan Beach. Therefore, the South Bay = :thumbup:

14. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Hey guys! :) Has anyone been to the Shrine Expo Hall? I'm going to see Circa Survive there in about a week and I had a couple of questions...

Best place to stand? Is there a balcony? I have early entry but I have zero desire to stand at the front of a huge crowd for the whole show. I'm pretty short so are there areas on the side that have a decent view?

And then after the show does it seem like a lot of people take the Expo Line on the way home? (Alternatively is there an easy place for to request a Lyft?) I really don't know the area super well but I'll be taking the metro in by myself.

Thanks! It's the largest GA venue I've been to so I'm super excited to finally go.

15. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I'm (and by that I mean we're) coming back late next month

Probably gonna spend all my time at Hermosa/Redondo/Manhattan again

16. irthesteve

irthesteve likes this

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  17. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Yeah please don't go out of town this time :(

Laura and I will be there 5 days so I'm sure we can make a meet-up happen

18. irthesteve

Should be easy since you're staying where I live!!! Would love to meet up for some hangs

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Front side is very spacious from my one experience (Brand New) that I had at that venue. Showed up ten minutes before they went on and had an amazing view and no shoving

20. By the by, if anyone in LA is at least 21, has $5 and is looking for something to do tonight my band Staircase Spirits is playing an acoustic gig at the Other Door in NoHo at 9 PM.

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. johnnyferris

I stood directly in the middle for Thrice about a third of the way from the stage. Great view and sound, but I'm also 6'2 so I have the benefit of being taller than most people. There is a balcony, but I can't recall if that was a separate ticket.

Can't help you with the train stuff because I drove up from Orange County. Still pondering on whether I want to go this show or not. It would be great to finally see Circa play.

22. Dog with a Blog

Officially going to Long Beach State so, I'll probably move around June or July?

johnnyferris likes this.
  23. irthesteve

Congrats! It's a good college in a solid spot, you'll enjoy for sure

24. Dog with a Blog

Thanks dude! Prettty excited

25. johnnyferris

Welcome to the Cal State system