Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lorde - Melodrama (June 16, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Mar 2, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

But did you talk it up like yeah?

2. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

3. radiodead

Trusted

Royals was such a gem when it hit radio. It was a stop you in your tracks, wait who is this type song. overplayed to death for sure, but it's still THE song of that record.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Royals is one of the worst on the album tbh

Daniel Brittain and brandon_260 like this.
  5. radiodead

Trusted

Whoa hot take coming in

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Royals was the first song I heard from her but I wasn't really interested much until I heard Million Dollar Bills and Tennis Court, then I became a fan

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I wrote her off because I only heard Royals for the longest time. I like it more now but I thought it was trash at first. I only checked her out proper because Ryan Hemsworth did a sick Ribs remix.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I think Royals is just peak art school pretentiousness which she's moved past, no postcard envy is a great line though and the wall of sound or whatever is beautiful

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I thought Royals was kinda pretentious/corny when I first heard it (it was on an adult alternative station my mom was playing so I lumped it with those songs) and I didn't give her a real chance until Team was on the radio

10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I totally wrote Lorde off for a good long while cause Royals was so overplayed and I thought it was super pretentious and then I heard something about her talking shit about other pop artists for not being deep enough or something (I don't really remember and I think I found out later that it was a misinterpretation of what she said) and I thought she had to be the most pretentious 17 year old in the world. Then I heard Ribs and everything changed lol I had to give her a second chance, ended up loving Pure Heroine and at this point I even kinda dig Royals.

tl;dr Ribs is the actual GOAT Lorde song

11. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The naive pretentiousness of the first album was part of the charm, I think. Pure Heroine is the great suburban teenage novel that was never written.

Chase likes this.
  12. Bane

The spiciest meme

Aaron Mook and The Lucky Moose like this.
  13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Tennis Court is easily my favorite Lorde song. I'm not sold on these two new ones yet.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

Never found her first album pretentious. I've always found it incredibly thoughtful in relation to much of modern pop music. As someone who really does value substance over having fun, because I'm a bit of wet blanket, Pure Heroine was such a breath of fresh air. And she was sixteen years old. SIXTEEN. That's just incredible to me.

Contender and The Lucky Moose like this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. Liability is soooooo good

17. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender, smowashere and Daniel182 like this.
  20. vidiviciveni

Trusted

To be honest, I was never a fan of "Royals" or Lorde in general, her vibe and style of singing just bored me. "Team" was better, but still, her approach to singing was so dull.

Which is why I'm so taken aback by "Green Light", it's just a smartly written, interesting pop song, but she ramps up the emotion in her voice so much that it steals the show. I'm not generally a fan of this type of music but when that "I'm waiting for it, that green light, I want it" part leads into the chorus, I'm sold.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Green Light is dope

22. Green Light is SOTY

23. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

So, it's a concept album about a single house party.

This is gonna rule.

24. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

The Max Martin tidbit re: his opinion of Green Light was really fascinating.

I totally get what he means by it being "incorrect songwriting," in that classic pop songwriting sense. And in that case, I think that the disconnects/weird structural choices Lorde and Antonoff left me initially confused by the song as it seemed to flirt with all of these pop calling cards, but didn't fully execute them.

Ultimately, Green Light's subversion from these tropes has made it infinitely more rewarding upon further listens.

This piece was great. This album sounds great. Lorde's great.

June 16th come to me nowwwwwwwwwwwwww

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

looks like she's doing a "secret show" tomorrow