Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lorde Cancels Israel Concert Date Amid Protests • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Please do not talk to me about this. However, you are wrong about this. But NEVER talk to me about it.

2. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Argue? Okay...

Sorry for providing you with information on something you admittedly said you had limited knowledge on.

I'll keep this in mind the next time I "argue" with someone looking for directions.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

You act like you linked me to the encyclopedia article about the Apartheid itself, when in reality linked me to an article where Nelson Mandela's grandson compares to it to Israel. While I'm not saying his opinions on the matter should be disregarded at all, your comment is disingenuous at best and your motives are questionable.

Raku likes this.
  4. Wharf Rat

I'll tell you my motives: to advocate for Palestinian solidarity. It's your motives no one knows, because you refuse to take any kind of real position, and are just pretending to be 'neutral' while hedging whatever you say in "I don't really know, but I think," which is just a thinly veiled way to state your opinion without having to be accountable for it. If you really don't know, learn more. If you really don't want to talk about it, don't talk about it!

5. Roseanne Barr and the internet are handling this well I see.

6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

So my motives are unknown but you just know I'm pretending to be neutral? Ok.

Raku likes this.
  7. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

8. Wharf Rat

If you were neutral you wouldn't be in here doing hasbara and purporting to know more about apartheid than somebody who lived it lol

9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Yeah, I must've missed the part where I said I knew more about the apartheid than someone. Silly me.

Raku likes this.
  10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This ruined Roseanne for me.

Still got love for Jonathan Goodman.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Honest question, were you planning on watching the return of the show, or no? I was undecided but this doesn't help sway me into tuning in.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Aaron Mook, St. Nate and Jonathan like this.
  13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Imagine being neutral towards ethnic cleansing.

Roseanne is such a disappointment. I love the show and watching old reruns now is bittersweet because she was so progressive for the time and the show still ages that way honestly. I watched an episode the other day where Darlene made a comment about how don't worry she wouldn't rebel by becoming a republican, and I'm like Roseanne sis what has haaaapened to you??

14. Wharf Rat

Really sucks that Roseanne sucks, her show is one of very few that actually depicts working class life

Kiana likes this.
  15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Mhmm and I enjoyed that they weren't afraid to come off unlikable or wrong, like in the ep where dj doesn't wanna kiss the black girl in the play and the family has to confront their own racism. The Crime and Punishment episode is probably one of my favorite episodes of television too. They always tackled real issues and it was a really refreshing show - not corny like a lot of others from that era, or glossy like some of them are now.

CarpetElf, Wharf Rat and St. Nate like this.
  16. lightning

17. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

That's because John Goodman is a national treasure. Fuck Roseanne Barr.

Turkeylegz, St. Nate and Wharf Rat like this.
  18. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

I guess if you don't think genocide of Palestinians is cool you're an anti-semite.

19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah, i've always been confused at people's mentality. like i support the existence of israel/a jewish state without ethnically cleansing others. i also don't think they have a "right" to the territory and there needs to be some negotiation to figure it out. the problem is that every group feels that some territory is "theirs" and as long as they feel it's a god given right there will be issues.

20. Neon Light

rage and love

Do you actually think there is a genocide going on here?

21. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

Yes.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

actually no, I don't THINK there is a genocide of Palestinians. There is a genocide of Palestinians by the government of Israel. They are targeting schools, hospitals, and first responders. They are slowly and constantly breaking down and destroying the Palestinian people.

I'm sure @storm could provide better links but here's one I found fairly easily.

Yes, What Israel Is Doing To Palestinians Is Actually Genocide.

Dirty Sanchez and Wharf Rat like this.
  23. Neon Light

rage and love

Okay, and here’s an article that I found quite easily which seems to contradict.

Gaza Strip patients find help in Israeli hospital

I agree that the occupations is a terrible situation for Palestinians, it’s also not a sustainable situation for Israel even though BOTH the Israeli and Palestinian governments aren’t doing nearly enough to find a solution. But the situation is complicated.

If Israel allows all entitled refugees (most of which are descendants of displaced Palestinians who have never set foot in Israel themselves, a unique refugee status granted only to Palestinians) to return with full citizenship, we will lose a Jewish majority and with it the essential Jewish character of the state.

There is a clear security threat to Israel in both Gaza and the West Bank. If Israel pulled out of the occupied territories today, the Arabs would attack and many people would die. Terrorist attacks are prevented almost daily by soldiers at the check points. They also make life extremely difficult for innocent Palestinians who need to get into Israel to work or see family and friends (yes almost a quarter of Israel’s population is Arab).

So yes it’s complicated.

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

...this seems like a strange statement.

25. Jesse West

Cursed by my ancestry

So your telling me a problem was caused by displacing palenstenians but we can't fix the the problem because it would be bad for the people who displaced the Palestinians.

"So here’s where we’re at: Many of the indigenous people were displaced upon the creation of the modern state of Israel, and the number of displaced people has continued to grow. They are refugees who live in poverty and painful conditions at refugee camps. Israel has systematically expanded its borders to functionally capture more and more land that belonged to Palestinians. Of what’s left, Palestinians have to suffer under a brutal military occupation where so many aspects of life are restricted or deprived. To top it all off, Israel continues to expand illegal settlements into Palestinian territory, further creating conditions designed to break up and destroy the will of Palestinians to even exist."

Yeah, if Israel stops bombing schools those kids might grow up to be functioning members of society that demand basic human rights. If that situation is bad for Israel, then Israel is bad.