Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Looking for Life on a Flat Earth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alan Burdick, writing at The New Yorker:

If you are only just waking up to the twenty-first century, you should know that, according to a growing number of people, much of what you’ve been taught about our planet is a lie: Earth really is flat. We know this because dozens, if not hundreds, of YouTube videos describe the coverup. We’ve listened to podcasts—Flat Earth Conspiracy, The Flat Earth Podcast—that parse the minutiae of various flat-Earth models, and the very wonkiness of the discussion indicates that the over-all theory is as sound and valid as any other scientific theory. We know because on a clear, cool day it is sometimes possible, from southwestern Michigan, to see the Chicago skyline, more than fifty miles away—an impossibility were Earth actually curved.

Maybe, and stay with me here, the internet was a massive mistake.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  2. I'm with you.

3. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I think about it every time I read the comments sections below online articles on my Facebook news feed.

warriorsam, Arry and Jason Tate like this.
  4. CSWAPPO

Regular

Mean while....Frisbee fuckin Earth descends into the cosmos

Ska Senanake likes this.
  5. LCT Music

Regular Supporter

I wish more people would get serious about that “joke” that Australia isn’t real, and it’s just a made up place and Australians are just American actors.

Flat earth is getting old.

Spencer Rhoton and Brent like this.
  6. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

I need a new monitor and keyboard after reading that. They have been smashed in rage.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It's almost like living in a world where experts and folks who spent their lives committed to studying a subject have an equal opportunity to have a voice with people who know nothing and don't care about learning or studying is a bad thing.

We have lots of problems in our modern world. But an alarming number of them are created by that fact - trolls and experts have equally loud voices, with equal weight to the masses.

coleslawed, Penguin and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

9. Arry likes this.
  10. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

lollll whoops i didn't read the piece for my mental sake. flat earthers just make me so sad

11. Tylar

Ugh

12. bloodinthesand

Regular

Anyone who believes the earth is flat is completely uneducated

13. Frinet42

Regular Supporter

It's New Zealand that isn't real mate.

LCT Music and SamLevi11 like this.
  14. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Frisbee Earth gets stuck on the neighbor's roof

coleslawed, Ska Senanake and CSWAPPO like this.
  15. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Someone needs to put these lunatics in a plane and fly them around the world.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  16. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Ska Senanake likes this.
  17. Eml182

Regular

Comments sections on news articles were a terrible idea. I realize the irony, but I don’t mean this site!

yeahrightdude likes this.
  18. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Or send them to Mars. Just exclude Kyrie Irving please, we need him next year :)

CSWAPPO and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  19. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

And that dynamic has empowered idiots into positions of power where they can continue to suppress or ignore experts in favour of vote buying slogans and soundbites. And yes, I may be a civil servant in a field that continues to be trampled by politicians who have no interest in evidence based decision making...

AshlandATeam likes this.