Long form articles, blogs, podcasts and YouTubers • Page 2

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by storm, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Grapevine_Twine

@grapevine_twine Supporter

lightning likes this.
  2. lightning

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Prestigious

posted this in general politics but because it's a longform I'll crosspost here

MikeyPaine likes this.
  4. lightning

I really don't like Shane.

5. lightning

Does anyone in here write or personally know someone who does?

6. lightning

Shakriel likes this.
  7. lightning

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

EarthShifts and lightning like this.
  9. Malatesta

10. lightning

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  11. lightning

12. EarthShifts

Regular

lightning likes this.
  13. Malatesta

Why good people turn bad online

In our relatively peaceful lives, we are rarely faced with outrageous behaviour, so we rarely see moral outrage expressed. Open up Twitter or Facebook and you get a very different picture. Recent research shows that messages with both moral and emotional words are more likely to spread on social media – each moral or emotional word in a tweet increases the likelihood of it being retweeted by 20 per cent.

“Content that triggers outrage and that expresses outrage is much more likely to be shared,” Crockett says. What we’ve created online is “an ecosystem that selects for the most outrageous content, paired with a platform where it’s easier than ever before to express outrage”.

Unlike in the offline world, there is no personal risk in confronting and exposing someone. It only takes a few clicks of a button and you don’t have to be physically nearby, so there is a lot more outrage expressed online. And it feeds itself. “If you punish somebody for violating a norm, that makes you seem more trustworthy to others, so you can broadcast your moral character by expressing outrage and punishing social norm violations,” Crockett says. “And people believe that they are spreading good by expressing outrage – that it comes from a place of morality and righteousness.

“When you go from offline – where you might boost your reputation for whoever happens to be standing around at the moment – to online, where you broadcast it to your entire social network, then that dramatically amplifies the personal rewards of expressing outrage.”

This is compounded by the feedback people get on social media, in the form of likes and retweets and so on. “Our hypothesis is that the design of these platforms could make expressing outrage into a habit, and a habit is something that’s done without regard to its consequences – it’s insensitive to what happens next, it’s just a blind response to a stimulus,” Crockett explains.

lightning and mercury like this.
  14. lightning

15. lightning

Contender likes this.
  16. lightning

Contender and dylan like this.
  17. lightning

This is a good listen.

Zac Djamoos and Contender like this.
  18. Malatesta

some terrific queer theory going on here in relation to how queer people interface with age and growth differently from straight people

https://daily.jstor.org/queer-time-the-alternative-to-adulting

"Protogay” children often do not make sense of their desires, pleasures, or experiences as “gay” until they are older; Stockton writes, “Since they are ‘gay children’ only after childhood, they never ‘are’ what they latently ‘were.’ ” So what are gay children, when they are children? To some extent, Stockton argues, they are “ghosts,” unable to corporeally occupy who they may later find themselves to be. Unable to occupy the reproductive trajectories that are held up as the norm even for young children: “The child who by reigning cultural definitions can’t ‘grow up’ grows to the side of cultural ideals."

Contender and lightning like this.
  19. Malatesta

Why the utopian vision of William Morris is now within reach | Aeon Essays

As recently as two decades ago, most people would have thought it absurd to countenance a free and open encyclopaedia, produced by a community of dispersed enthusiasts primarily driven by other motives than profit-maximisation, and the idea that this might displace the corporate-organised Encyclopaedia Britannica and Microsoft Encarta would have seemed preposterous. Similarly, very few people would have thought it possible that the top 500 supercomputers and the majority of websites would run on software produced in the same way, or that non-coercive cooperation using globally shared resources could produce artifacts as effectively as those produced by industrial capitalism, but more sustainably. It would have been unimaginable that such things should have been created through processes that were far more pleasant than the work conditions that typically result in such products.

20. lightning

cross post from pol:

"One thing the left needs to do, I argued recently, is a better job of both engaging conservative arguments and using all forms of media effectively. I specifically mentioned YouTube, a dark realm that we have essentially ceded to the other side. YouTube is overflowing with videos from people like Dave Rubin and Jordan Peterson and Dennis Prager (plus about a zillion miscellaneous reactionary ranters), but who is doing well-produced left-wing explanations of why all of these people are full of crap?

Well, I can tell you who is doing them. ContraPoints is doing them. And she’s doing them very well indeed. She’s on a one-woman blitzkrieg against the YouTube right. She knows how to use the medium as well as anybody, and she’s found a brilliantly inventive and totally unique way to convey left political ideas.

ContraPoints produces YouTube videos. They are often quite long, and they are frequently strange. When I was first showed them several months ago, I had absolutely no idea what to make of them. Each is about a political topic, and is usually anchored by a monologue from Contra explaining the issue at hand. But they are unlike anything else I’ve seen. Contra argues with multiple versions of herself (a Stalinist alter ego, a fascist alter ego, an anarchist alter ego, a liberal professor) in a dozen different costumes. An explanation of how capitalism artificially manufactures desires might suddenly turn into a parody advertisement for suppositories. A video critiquing Jordan Peterson does not begin, as one might assume, with his dreary books and lectures, but with Contra as a bewigged French aristocrat called Lady Foppington discoursing on the sovereign faculty of reason. To my utter delight, Contra’s explanation of what’s wrong with capitalism does not end with the usual call for proletarians to take up arms but with Contra at the piano, serenading herself with a rendition of Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home To Me” (one of my favorite songs)."

God Bless ContraPoints | Current Affairs

--

I'd recommend Mexie and BadMouseProductions as well. Their twitter accounts are Mexie (@mexieYT) | Twitter and BadMouse (@BadMouse101) | Twitter

mercury likes this.
  21. Malatesta

lightning likes this.
  22. Malatesta

lightning likes this.
  23. lightning

24. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere

lightning likes this.
  25. lightning