Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lollapalooza 2019 Tour • Page 4

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Cmoney86

Trusted

Last year it took 8 days for 4 day passes to sell out

2. I somehow missed that Ruston Kelly is on this. That defintely piques my interest a little more, but hopefully he does an aftershow or something.

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

New Tame Impala!!

Fronnyfron likes this.
  4. AMusial625

Regular

Ohhhh that’s just too damn good.

Fronnyfron likes this.
  5. atlas

Trusted

Kacey/Ruston aftershow plz

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Who do you all think will have the biggest crowd this year? I’m hearing that Twenty One Pilots are headlining Saturday and I’m guessing it will be them because of that, but since The Strokes rarely tour they will probably pull in a good crowd too. Not sure.

Tame had a big crowd at Pitchfork so I imagine they will get a pretty decent crowd, and Ariana I have no idea.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think Ariana or twenty one pilots. The Strokes will easily have the smallest of the top 4. It really kind of depends who they play against though. Whoever's against Tame is going to lose a fair amount of people.

8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

You think The Strokes will have the smallest of the top 4? Huh, I wasn’t thinking that, although maybe because they have been MIA for a while and have no new music coming out that will be the case.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I just feel like really like they don't have songs that everyone knows. Like they have some pretty popular songs I know, but they kind of existed in a time, and I'm not sure how much they've really impacted people since. Like I didn't really know any Strokes songs until I listened to them last year. Arctic Monkeys are way more familiar to a modern audience from my perspective, and even they didn't have a huge crowd. The Strokes will attract people who listen to the Strokes. All the rest of them will bring in people who only know a few songs, and with Childish, there will even be people who just want to see Donald Glover. This is no shade to the Strokes or anything though. They're good, I'm excited for them and everything. There's a reason Lolla has pivoted away from having alt rock bands headline.

10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Legit have never even heard of J Balvin in my life and just saw he has 49 plus millions monthly listens on Spotify.

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I feel like The Strokes have a few songs that most people know but they may not know by name. I think Lolla pivoting away from alternative rock bands is a bad idea, I think? Because I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of rock bands (a bit disappointed that Foo Fighters are not playing) and talking about the fests early days when they were a more rock centered traveling festival. Perhaps the folks at C3 have data that confirms more younger folks are interested in the non-rock headliners, and those younger folks outweigh the 30-40-50ish year old alternative radio listeners, who knows.

I forgot Gambino was playing, and I think a lot of people are interested in seeing him because of his name more so than his songs, because while he is pretty big musically, he hasn't had many songs that have dominated the radio. (I guess neither has Tame Impala for that matter, but my point still stands)

I would love to work for C3 and be in the room when they are crafting the lineup and all the behind the scenes surrounding the lineup we do not hear about.

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I really think that comes down to the vocal minority, as well as just the people that you or I would talk to the line up about. But I mean at the same time, you could argue that tickets don't sell out nearly like they used to, but it's hard to tell what the true cause is. But I mean just speaking by size of the crowds, Bruno's was probably twice the size of Arctic Monkeys. I see no reason to think that Ariana isn't going to dwarf The Strokes in a similar way. And you are probably right about the Strokes song, but even if people do really know the songs, if they don't know they know the songs, then it doesn't really matter.

13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Massive massive latin artists. If you look at "Where people listen", then it makes a lot more sense.

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

15. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it’s both AND I think they need to go back to three days. I get what C3 was thinking when they moved to 4 for the 25th anniversary (go big), but it should have just been exclusive to that year.

16. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Don't think I would do the entire weekend, but I would absolutely buy a day pass if the stars align just right with headliners.

Ben Buchnat likes this.
  17. Jim

Trusted Supporter

For me personally, I’m local and not wanting to do 4 days what so ever. That and I’m old and the last couple line ups aren’t my taste - I used to like to go to check our new bands and at this point I’m good listening on Spotify and then checking them out at their own show.

18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Single day tix and lineup tomorrow

troyplaysbass likes this.
  19. ComplexDivide7 Apr 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2019)
    ComplexDivide7

At the same time. How is this going to work out? Are they literally hoping people end up buying the 4-days because they had to impulsively buy a single day after a 3 second glance at the lineup?

20. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

All of the bands I want to see are spread out pretty equally over the four days. Damn.

Thursday - King Princess, Fitz & the Tantrums

Friday - Childish Gambino, Janelle Monae, 21 Savage, Death Cab for Cutie, Maggie Rogers, Bring Me the Horizon, Japanese Breakfast, IDLES, Nothing, Nowhere.

Saturday - Twenty One Pilots, Lil Wayne, Tenacious D, Judah & the Lion, Men I Trust

Sunday - Ariana Grande, Kacey Musgraves, Slash, Mitski, JID, Denzel Curry, Joji, Diesel, Sandy Alex G

I honestly would be really open to doing Friday, especially if Kacey does a Friday aftershow, but I already have a ticket for John Mayer in Detroit that day.

21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

22. Same situation for me. Roughly two bands per day that I want to see. If one of the days gets really cheap secondhand right before the fest I might go, or just hope for a Kacey/Ruston aftershow.

23. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Friday is the day for me. Just bought two tickets.

Gambino, Janelle Monae, DCFC, Japanese Breakfast at a minimum - I'll find others I like.

24. you vandal

Regular

Go back to three days. This is spread way too thin.

chewbacca110 and Jim like this.
  25. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Fact. Every day is watered down.