Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Logan (James Mangold, March 3 2017) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Oct 5, 2016.

1. BackyardHero11

Trusted

100% getting the photo book one at target. so excited to watch this film again and again and in black & white.

airik625 and Tim like this.
  2. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I think if you have the ticket and can manage both, go for it. it'll look beautiful in black&white on the big screen. I personally am a big fan of watching in the theatre. I try and catch most fathom events of films that I didn't get to see in theatre, just so I can see them the way they are meant to be seen, but that's me.

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I still regularly think about how much I loved this movie. I've been really craving a rewatch.

beachdude42, coleslawed, Joe and 2 others like this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don't quite get why they're doing a black and white version. Logan wasn't really a noir, it's influences were very visibly and literally epic, colorful westerns.

5. Tim

Because black & white can be a cool aesthetic and isn't limited to film noir? *shrug*

I guess the name "Logan Noir" doesn't make sense when you think in terms of film genres, but if you ignore that implication, a black and white version of the film is a cool choice. Not better (not that anyone is claiming it's better), but a neat alternative experience with its own pros and cons. Though, I guess we won't really know how it works out until it's out.

6. BackyardHero11

Trusted

7. Tim

^ Also, what that said, lol.

beachdude and BackyardHero11 like this.
  8. Tim

This conversation reminds me that I haven't watched the Mad Max: Fury Road Black & Chrome version yet. Since it didn't release with the initial home media release, it snuck under the radar for me. Anyone here watch it? Is it as great as I imagine it is?

9. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I read some of the article and sent it, but I finished it and the whole article was excellent and linked to a couple other great articles. I've really been enjoying some of the stuff I've found on that site. not as much click bait crap as most sites now

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Here's a notification since no one wanted to give you a hard time. ;-)

11. Tim

I have fun disagreeing with Jason on the MCU, but with how much I adored this film, and how much Jason said he anticipated this and was disappointed... I just can't rib him on this. I honestly just feel really bad for him, tbh.

beachdude and SpyKi like this.
  12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Likewise. Plus at this point I just generally expect to disagree with him on most comic book movies, ha.

13. Tim

Except Spider-Man, lol. He's on our side in the unpopular truth that Garfield > Maguire, and for that I'm willing to forgive all other differing opinions.

BackyardHero11 and SpyKi like this.
  14. Hahahaha. Woke up to double digits, you put me over! Mostly mad Hit the Light fans.

15. Jason Tate May 16, 2017
    (Last edited: May 16, 2017)
    I'm actually more surprised you liked it than anything, it seems like it would be the kind of movie you've spoken out against before.

It felt like everything you hated about BvS turned to 11 for no real reason. I truly can't figure out what people liked about the movie. From the big to the small I have issues with it. Usually I walk into highly praised movies and think they're at least good. I hated this one more probably because of the level it was supposed to be on and it got nowhere close. People were floating best picture nom.

16. I'm also blown away at the defense of the hyper violence. Not only was it not needed, it wasn't even shot well. It was all the complaints about BvS but using a kid to do it and bad prosthetics. I don't get the high praise at all. Was hoping for Mad Max, got Kick Ass.

Greg likes this.
  17. @Jason Tate What did you think about the story and script? Did those not work for you either? Nothing special about the villains, but I enjoyed the arcs for Logan and X-23 and found the ending emotionally satisfying.

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

hey, see some folks still rocking the iPhone 4 and I suspect they will continue doing that until they are dead.

beachdude and coleslawed like this.
  19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The violence worked for me because it seemed to be a reflection of the characters. Logan and X-23 were characters who are just flat out angry at the world and acts of violence are their way of getting back at it, even if just temporarily.

I one main gripe with the film is the villains. Not that they are one dimensional, but there wasn't enough to really make me fear them. Blonde southern guy was fun at the beginning but then they brought in the older scientist guy and the wolverine clone and it really diminished his role.

20. Tim

I don't see any similarities between Logan and BvS, except that they're both dark films. Very different approaches.

Wolverine is my second favorite comic book character, and this film pulled off the world-weary heart of the character that I connect so much to. I was and continue to be so invested in Logan and Laura's stories. I see a lot of my father in Logan, and while this film leaned into the bitterness more than is usually fitting for Wolverine or my dad (for earned story reasons), it in other ways made the connection even stronger, especially with the broken body and western vibe. Also, Laura reminded me of kids that I've formed a connection with in church ministry work. It all connects to me on a deeply personal level, though I'd also argue that it's very well crafted as a whole. Really effective mix of slow pacing and brutal violence, all working toward a moving and relevant narrative.

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Jackman in this might be my favourite depiction of a comic book character in any movie. I loved pretty much everything about it. I think it was light years ahead of BvS in every aspect.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Nothing wrong with getting Kick Ass. Movie is great.

23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I'm in this boat too.

24. Ah, I got too lazy to make the drive out from work and refunded it yesterday. Then I woke up with a cold, so that's two reasons not to go.

25. Hahaha, even if I believe that to be true ... I really wonder if an iPhone 4 would even work with the networks of 10 years from now.