Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Live By Night (Ben Affleck, January 13, 2017) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Bad news. Silence isn't even coming here...

2. Davjs

Trusted

Because it doesn't have a Sharknado or cheesy movie feel. It came across as trying to be shocking but ended up being funny because it was so bad. Did you read something from the cast or crew that ever said they were going the comedy route?

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Shyamalan has said it multiple times.

4. Davjs

Trusted

Google brought up times he's said it after the reviews tore it up, nothing before hand. Damage control? The trailers and everything play it so serious. Its cool you like it though sir.

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Trailers have absolutely nothing to do with the tone or reality of a film. They are commercials. The trailers for Silence make it look like a thriller and it's a very quiet, restrained, deliberate film.

6. Davjs

Trusted

True, but you'd think if his intent from the start was it is a funny b-movie then he would have said something or promoted it like so instead of calming it was after the fact that people thought it was so bad it comical.

7. Nathan

No, they'll market it the way they think it will appeal to most people so that as many people as possible will pay to go see it. Marketing it as a b-movie probably wouldn't be the best way to achieve that goal.

8. Davjs

Trusted

With a movie that shitty, what was their goal?

kyle likes this.
  9. Nathan

To get people to see it

Davjs likes this.
  10. Nathan

This movie was fine-ish, but overtly dumb. Affleck is a better director than his script. He's drawing so heavily from Mean Streets and Goodfellas but moralizes so overtly it's obtrusive and allows a separation from everything going on. None of the action or suspense, which he's had a particular skill for, has the same geographical awareness or investment in character based stakes that he's been able to achieve before. He should also know better than to make a movie where women are pawns and props. He's shown a lot of empathy and detailed characterization for perspectives that aren't his protagonists in his previous works, it lacks noticeably here. He can make moments feel meaningful and artful here, he is a good director and actor, but this is considerably his worst film. Very disappointing.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

So you think this scene is written and shot by an adult human of at least average intellect and a lack of inebriating drugs and not supposed to be funny?

12. Nathan

Man, Affleck miscast himself in the lead. Not because he's a bad actor, but the original character is 19, which works a billion times better for the story than someone pushing 50 playing a jobless, unmarried guy in the 1920s just getting his start in organized crime.

13. Davjs

Trusted

lol I'm aware of the hotdog scene. Its one of the funniest parts!

But no, I took it as M. Night trying to give characterization through quirky dialog, but since he is so bad at his job it's just characters saying random things instead of what Tarantino and Smith do with having actual characters who are fleshed out with funny/quirky dialog. Poor M. Night.

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

15. Nathan

Well, it was pretty bad.

16. Davjs

Trusted

Geez, that is quite a loss. Shame because I just finished it and it was good. Not fantastic, but deserved more. The acting was good there were some really cool moments. I also always respect a period piece and all they have to do set and costume wise to make it feel like that point in time. I'd recommend it for sure.

17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I still plan on seeing it. Looked pretty good from the trailers.

Davjs likes this.