Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Live By Night (Ben Affleck, January 13, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I thought The Town and Argo were just alright, though each film did have some spectacular scenes.

Gone Baby Gone definitely his best. I love the part in the bar where Casey pistol whips that guy and tells the bartender to make him a martini.

2. I think this is going to be entertaining but it wont be a critically acclaimed movie.

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It was fairly mediocre. Pretty scattershot storytelling that never takes time to makes its characters engaging. Also, Affleck has to stop casting himself as the star, especially if he's going to surround himself with talent that is way better than him.

popdisaster00, Ken and airik625 like this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Even if this movie is a miss, I don't get the Affleck comment. He's a great actor and was a great fit in his other movies.

5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This is pretty much what the NYT said and is my concern about seeing this movie. I'll probably just catch it when it comes to video.

6. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

yeah idk if i would call chris messina and brendan gleeson much better than him, and i like the both of them

Davjs likes this.
  7. 5Stories

Regular

This was so disappointing. It started off pretty well actually and until he took that beating from the police I was really into it but then his dad visits him in hospital after letting all the cops beat him to a pulp and dad's all like "hey son, how's it going" like shit's totally cool and I'm like "this is dumb and makes no sense". Also I thought he had good chemistry with the first girl who sells him out and none at all with Zoe Saldana. Love Ben the director but as an actor he is dull as shit. No range, so dull. He typified that here, especially as he was the lone screenwriter and some of the dialogue was truly lousy. It's telling that he had co-writers for Gone Baby Gone, The Town and he didn't write Argo. All the sentimentality at the end felt totally unjustified. So cliche and cheesy.

Ken likes this.
  8. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Going to try and cram this and Silence in one day.

Disappointed reviews are mixed but I'm all in since it's Affleck.

Davjs likes this.
  9. Davjs

Trusted

Same here and man, that sounds like quite a day. I should do the same.

10. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I got a three-day weekend but we are awaiting a huge ice storm so it's going to be tight.

Davjs likes this.
  11. Morrissey

Trusted

Watching a Ben Affleck movie and a Martin Scorsese movie on the same day is a lot like drinking Natural Light and a craft beer on the same day. One definitely informs the other.

12. Davjs

Trusted

Affleck isn't the NL of beers! Even if he's not a craft, at least give him a Bud Select or something..... Save the NL and pabst blue ribbon titles for M. Night or Uwe Boll

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. Morrissey

Trusted

M. Night Shyamalan is top-shelf stuff that needs to be mixed well with something. He is similar to a Long Island Iced Tea.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

This may be the craziest thing you've ever said, but I admire you commitment to M. Night being good in your opinion :-D

16. Morrissey

Trusted

The Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, Lady in the Water, and The Happening all have incredible moments. It is not hard to defend.

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

Fixed. I really have never ran into anyone who defended the other films you listed. Surprised no Unbreakable on your list.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Nothing fixed about it. The Village is close to a masterpiece, and the best film about 9/11. Lady in The Water and The Happening are more flawed, but they are still very good genre films. Unbreakable is too silly.

19. Davjs

Trusted

But…..you just used the term silly to describe a film in a negative way but defend a movie where the plot is grass monkeys keep everyone in check and the grass wolf has to sneak around and try to eat a lady who came out of a pool before she can be returned by an giant eagle and another movie where our hero talks to fake ferns and tries to out run the wind.

Like I said, I like your commitment to this argument but that logic is a little…..well, silly. I’ll give a little and let M. Night be Miller Lite though just for you :-)

20. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Affleck wishes he could be Shyamalan

21. Davjs

Trusted

Wut is wrong with this thread. It's poisoning people's minds!

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The twist in every Ben Affleck movie is someone yelling go Sox Boston

CarpetElf, marceting and Davjs like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

The Happening is a play on old b-movies; it is supposed to be that way. Similarly, Lady in the Water is Shyamalan's attempt at telling a fairy tale. I use the term silly because Unbreakable tries to exist within the real world, which is the entire conceit (superheroes but real).

24. Davjs

Trusted

If that's the case I see your point. I don't believe at all though that The Happening was suppose to be made as a b-style movie or was meant to be so bad it was funny. And I know about the fairy tale thing with Lady, he said he tells it to his kids at night and I feel so bad for them.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

I will never understand how you can watch a movie with lines like "We only ate tiramisu; it meant nothing!" and a guy lays down to get run over by a lawnmower and think that it was not meant to be funny.