Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Live By Night (Ben Affleck, January 13, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 8, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

starring :
    Ben Affleck, Elle Fanning, Sienna Miller, Zoe Saldana, Chris Messina, Chris Cooper, Scott Eastwood, Anthony Michael Hall, Brendan Gleeson

2. I think it looks good, I'm excited.

3. I'm on this one. I really liked the book and like director Ben

4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Damn, this looks awesome. Love the look of it all and I've been a big fan of Ben's directorial work thus far.

5. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Fully on board

6. Looking forward to this.

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Can I ask what people like about Affleck as a director without people jumping on me? Other than a decent ability to create tension, I find him serviceable at best.

Ken likes this.
  8. Davjs

Trusted

There are so many moving pieces in a movie and they all pretty much fall on the director to make the tone, characters, acting, story flow, ect all work. When he's done three really good movies where it all works, it's clear Ben has a good handle on everything as a director.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I am aware of what a director does. What does Ben Affleck do exactly that makes him a good director? What does he bring to the table that sets him apart in a way that makes his name of note?

10. Davjs

Trusted

He makes great movies..... If you know everything a director does (wayyy too many to list) then that's all it boils down to. Not every director needs a gimmick like Snyder and his slow mo and Bay with his 360 camera shots. Just making great movies is enough for people to get excited and feel comfortable knowing they are spending money on something that will be good.

11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I absolutely loved Gone Baby Gone, but for some reason, did not really like The Town.

I'll be seeing this for sure.

12. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

David Fincher directed Gone Girl.

13. airik625

I meant Gone Baby Gone.

14. Davjs

Trusted

The Town was my favorite of the 3 so far, Gone Baby Gone and then Argo. While Argo was good, I never got why it was so beloved. Didn't it win best picture of the year?

15. airik625

Didn't really like Argo either.

16. Davjs

Trusted

:-O

17. Affleck is 3/3 in my book so far. Argo was good, but I'm not sure it was Best Picture good.

Davjs likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I didn't love The Town because Renner was insufferably annoying

Ken likes this.
  19. airik625

That and Rebecca Hall was not convincing in the slightest.

20. Gone Baby Gone and The Town are great movies, GBG being superior. Argo is good, I liked it, but not as much as his first two.

airik625 likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

It was always surprising that Affleck did not get in more trouble for turning the Hispanic main character of Argo into a white guy and then playing the role himself.

CarpetElf and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Davjs likes this.
  23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I've enjoyed his first 3 but man this looks bad.

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He's gotten worse every movie, but I still really like Gone Baby Gone and the Town, so I'm hopeful.

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Gone Baby Gone is definitely his best.

Night Channels and airik625 like this.