Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Little Women (Greta Gerwig, December 25, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 19, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Also after seeing this glad Emma Stone didn't play Meg, she's way more of a Jo

stayillogical and CarpetElf like this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was great! I give myself to the infinite Pughniverse

phaynes12, Serh, CarpetElf and 3 others like this.
  3. Nathan

Some of the meta conversations about art started to feel a bit too overt or hokey for me, but by the end they'd won me back over and some of them are my favorite parts looking back. Gerwig does a lot visually in small moments that really do a lot of heavy lifting, one of the best is just letting Ronan and Chalamet have small, charming, drama-less scenes of just being friends together. Ronan, Chalamet, Streep, and Pugh were all so great, and this is the best role Emma Watson has had in awhile that I can think of.

Mrplum5089, Serh, Zilla and 4 others like this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah Greta's sincerity makes it so that even when they said the title of the movie several times it was kinda sweet, I think that's one of her greatest strengths like with Lady Bird when she unabashedly stanned Dave Matthews

Zilla and CarpetElf like this.
  5. Zilla Dec 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2019)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I’m not familiar with the book or past movies, but my girlfriend is. She loved that they put the scene of Amy making the cast of her foot to show Laurie how perfect her feet are. Apparently none of the other movies did that because it’s such a strange, little moment, why would they?

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I'm in the same boat, I have no prior experience with the book or past movies. When I saw what Amy was doing I was like "woah", hahaha; it's just a part of her character though, like everything else that happens in the movie, so I just took it all in

7. Lucas27

Trusted

My friends and I laughed so hard. The way that scene immediately followed a normal future conversation between Amy and Laurie and the way it just shows the cast when Amy says that was just gold. One of the best examples of the film’s perfect editing.

Zilla likes this.
  8. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

The only thing I was left wanting was Laurie visiting Amy at Aunt March's home while Beth was sick, and promising to go see her every day. Just to establish that they were friends when she was a kid too. He always had a soft spot for her. It would have paralleled that he was there for her both times Beth got sick.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I'm definitely planning on watching the 1994 version, which I think I saw a billion years ago, but I didn't know the story at all

also I checked the character ages because it was killing me, so in the beginning Beth is 13, Jo is 15, Meg is 16 and Amy is 12 (!), I was like how did Kirsten Dunst play the same character a year before Jumanji when she was 12 as Florence is playing at 23; it's also hard for me to be like oh yeah in the 1800s you were supposed to be married with kids at like 20, same with Pride and Prejudice
    this was all because the scene 7 years later where Laurie said Amy was 20 and I was like wait that means she was 13 in the beginning when they met

10. Nathan

Yeah I don’t know anything about Little Women and had to adjust to the ages they were playing in the chronologically early scenes. Especially Pugh.

11. Lucas27

Trusted

I thought Pugh did such a fantastic job in the younger scenes that I didn’t have to adjust. I didn’t know what Amy’s age was supposed to be but I assumed 13 or 14 just from how Pugh plays her and it felt natural.

stayillogical likes this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Stunningly beautiful film. One of the best of the year, easily.

CarpetElf and Ferrari333SP like this.
  13. Nathan

Oh Pugh plays it incredibly but she just looks 25. I knew she was supposed to be younger in the earlier scenes but at times it was tough to nail down on a first viewing

Zilla and Lucas27 like this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

I think I’m also just used to young characters being played by older actors and actresses at this point. Ha.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think the act of having actors who are actually at/near the age of their characters just has never been a thing in movies/TV shows

16. Nathan

It has been. Kristen Dunst was like 12 in the 94 Little Women.

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The only moment that took me out of it was in the classroom where Pugh clearly has a solid 10 years on her classmates.

18. Nathan

That didn’t phase me that much since schoolhouses like that taught to all ages

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. Nathan

It was more how impetuous and child like she was in the early scenes in contrast to how put together and mature she seemed in the later scenes

SpyKi and CarpetElf like this.
  20. Nathan

It’s not a critique; her performance was one of my favorites of the year and I liked Gerwig’s nonlinear structure. Just took me a minute to get my bearings whenever they’d jump chronology

SpyKi and CarpetElf like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 29, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah it's not a critique my brain just needed to be like wait Bob Odenkirk and Meryl Streep are siblings, I know she's only 13 years older and it's theoretically possible, and Amy is how old, is Laurie's tutor for high school

Zilla likes this.
  22. Luke Nelson

Amy is 13 at the beginning of the story.

23. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Never having read the book, finding out that Amy was supposed to be the youngest and not Beth is blowing my damn mind right now

24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah what haha.

25. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I also clarified this for my friends, maybe it's because the actress that played Beth is the youngest.

CarpetElf likes this.