Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Literally Just a Big List of Facebook’s 2018 Scandals • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 20, 2018.

1. as someone who actually lived and breathed in those offices for two years my response to that initial comment is:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

2. Eclipse

Regular

My fave part is only mentioning the Spotify messages thing and not the uh...election meddling in multiple countries, privacy breaches, and assistance in systematic violence including genocide. For a fairly new and rapidly developing field, the only way we're gonna keep these companies from using that to their advantage and putting money over their userbases safety is articles like these as well as investigations.

On that note, spinmedia burned my crops, spoiled my water supply and delivered a plague unto my home

coleslawed, Lucas27 and beachdude like this.
  3. With Messenger being its own separate thing, Facebook is practically useless.

4. snaps

Regular Supporter

Yeah dude... stop reading my texts.

5. Lucas27

Trusted

Bless you for this reference.

Eclipse likes this.
  6. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Yo they literally taught me in college CS classes about how data use and misuse is entirely up to the engineers/architects/stakeholders building systems. There are no well-defined industry standards or best practices and literally every site could be doing whatever the fuck they want with your data, because there’s no oversight.

The idea that sharing data is somehow unavoidable as an engineer is laughable. You’re the one who tells a computer what to do with every line of code. You’re the one who chooses to track a cookie or save a value, or to even ask for that data in the first place. This isn’t a witch hunt, this is calling out an industry’s front runner for ignoring a very important problem, just because they didn’t feel like solving it.

And fwiw my team takes the “don’t collect data at all, just usernames and passwords” approach to avoid potential misuse, because it’s the safest and easiest way to not contribute to this issue.

7. It's a good way to go. Having to learn/research all the new GDPR stuff has taken a lot of time and I hate talking to lawyers. Heh.

mercury likes this.
  8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. You becoming a supporting member was a big step for me because for the first time in my life a lawyer isn't billing me to make sarcastic comments around them.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

In fact, you were billing him! #progress

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Dammit... Hope it was worth more than $2! Haha

Jason Tate likes this.