Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Listen Up: Classic Artist of the Week • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 9, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Kanye

ChiliTacos likes this.
  2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

My mind is going to Bowie, but I don't think it's him.

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

is it the dead

4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

yes it probably is the dead kennedys

Meerkat and Wharf Rat like this.
  5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I think a lot of people are going to be very excited about it

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

hey! no secrets!

Meerkat likes this.
  7. Meerkat

Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I actually know or if it's just someone I know Chris and I talked about.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Ding ding ding. They will definitely get a week

9. I'm a fuckin' ap genius

10. Meerkat

@cshadows2887 Not that you need my input, but I really think what we're missing here is a game show style reveal each week

11. cshadows2887

Hah like I should tease a clue every Friday or something

Meerkat likes this.
  12. cshadows2887

Nina Simone
    The High Priestess of Soul herself. Though her specialty was jazz, Nina absorbed blues, soul, R&B and even pop into her eclectic and unique style. She was a gifted piano player and a distinct vocal talent. She was socially conscious and politically radical at a time when it really mattered. She recorded the definitive versions of other people’s songs, and debuted songs that other artists would take to great heights later. She’s certainly one of the most sampled artists in hip-hop, which is as good a piece of evidence as any that her influence is still massive. She’s incomparable.

Recommended Listen:
    Nina Simone Sings the Blues

Crash Course:
    1. Nina Simone Sings the Blues
    2. High Priestess of Soul
    3. I Put a Spell on You

Compilation Replacement:
    Anthology

Signature Songs:
    1. “I Loves You Porgy”
    2. “Don’t You Pay Them No Mind”
    3. “In the Dark”
    4. “Sinnerman”
    5. “Mississipi Goddamn”

Personal Note: Nina is such a complex and multifaceted artist that it was almost impossible to really encapsulate everything she could do, or rank her different eras. As such, this is definitely more weighted toward my personal opinions than usual, just because it was the only way to make head or tails. She has plenty of staple early live albums that could have been in the crash course, or her later records which are beloved and have a cult following now but weren’t her best-reviewed. I also left out plenty of staple songs of hers because I just couldn’t live without having “In the Dark” and “Don’t You Pay Them No Mind” on that list. So please, explore beyond what’s here. Do a little research (allmusic.com is always a good resource) and follow any thread that appeals to you. You really can’t go wrong.

13. oh excited to jump in

cshadows2887 likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

She's one of my big blind spots. Haven't ever heard more than a few songs.

15. cshadows2887

I kinda figured this might be the case for a lot of people

OhTheWater likes this.
  16. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I'm happy this thread exists. I watched the Nina Simone documentary that came out last year but never really started listening to her, due to just how many albums she made. I'm getting Nina Simone Sings the Blues right now though. Excited to finally listen.

Meerkat and cshadows2887 like this.
  17. cshadows2887

Awesome! Once I announce the artist, we move to the artist's thread, so feel free to post your reactions/thoughts/whatever once you get a chance to listen. Welome aboard.

Gjpeace likes this.
  18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've been wondering if/when this will go country and I have a feeling that, considering yesterday :tear:, it might be next week

19. cshadows2887

It will be. Not even being mysterious about it. Next week will be Merle.

Wharf Rat and ChaseTx like this.
  20. George

Trusted Prestigious

I couldn't even name you a Merle song, so he's more than just a blind spot for me. Looking forward to the crash course next week!

21. cshadows2887

I've only heard 3, so it's not a crash course with much expertise, but it's a start.

George likes this.
  22. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Gonna start taking a part of this. Hello!

23. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

The Nina album I listened to was amazing. Didn't get to watch the doc because something came up but I really loved the music. The different emotions her voice brings out in me is unreal.

24. cshadows2887

Glad to have you on board. Feel free to check out some Nina Simone and post in her thread tomorrow or Saturday or wait for the next artist on Sunday. Whatever is your speed