Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Listen Up: Classic Artist of the Week • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 9, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

One other idea that I had, and this is open for input on whether it would be worth doing, is that after every 10 (6? 8?) weeks, we can do a poll of all the artists we've covered and the winner will get an "Encore Week" where we can dig into the second tier of their catalog and/or branch out into side projects and solo careers.

Garrett L. and stnewton like this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i had no idea that's what it was. oh my goodness. i have missed a lot. thank you. :)

ChaseTx likes this.
  3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

hem @Jason Tate hem

xD

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. For "encore week" you must make an audio file of 5 minutes talking about it for us to post on the podcast.

beachdude42, lightning13 and stnewton like this.
  5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Some of the guys already pointed it out, but yeah I'm doing one on AP rn and will bring it over here once the forum is completely public. If you're still using AP you should join us there for now. The thread should be on the first or second page of entertainment and I'm always wanting for more people to join.

6. cshadows2887

Welp...need a new name now. Haha

beachdude42, Nick and Jason Tate like this.
  7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Totally in. Fantastic idea, as I listen to woefully little older music

cshadows2887 likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

YES.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

So excited for this.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. George

Trusted Prestigious

Great idea, Chris!

11. cshadows2887

Week #1:

Stevie Wonder
    (soul/R&B/funk)
    He started as a boy-wonder for Motown and grew into one of their most ambitious artists. He controlled every aspect of most of his best records, playing almost all the instruments himself and experimenting with sounds, styles and structure in a way few on that label did. He won the Grammy for Album of the Year 3 times and grabbed an Oscar while having maybe the greatest 70s of any artist. His entire run from Signed, Sealed, Delivered through Hotter Than July is just tremendous.

Recommended Listen:
    Innervisions

Crash Course:
    1. Innervisions
    2. Songs in the Key of Life
    3. Music of My Mind

Compilation Replacement: The Definitive Collection

Signature Songs:
    1. “Uptight (Everything’s Alright)”
    2. “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”
    3. “You Are the Sunshine of My Life”
    4. “Supersition”
    5. “Living for the City

Personal note: I know a lot of people would have put Fulfillingness’ First Finale or Talking Book in the crash course, and I considered it, but I didn’t feel right not putting a slightly older record in there. Personally, I would have loved to advocate for Signed, Sealed, Delivered, but he has too many great ones.

12. cshadows2887

Might not have a chance to post until later tomorrow, so jumping the gun a bit. Let's aim the discussion in his own thread. Happy listening and fingers crossed this goes well.

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Got Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life. Excited to delve deeper.

14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'll be on this over the next few days

15. cshadows2887

16. ChaseTx

Man, this album spawned Wild Wild West and Gangsta's Paradise

17. cshadows2887

The discussion is mostly taking place in the Stevie Wonder thread. Come jump in, man!

18. ChaseTx

Oh shit no wonder it's been so quiet!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. cshadows2887

I think it'd be really cool if people kept Spotify playlists for their favorite songs they discover as we go through the weeks. I feel like it could make for cool reflection later and make it easier not to just be one and done

I'm going to try and do it

stnewton and AelNire like this.
  20. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Awesome idea! So down to do this.

21. cshadows2887

This is definitely true.

I was just thinking it'd be cool as we go through artist weeks to keep track of new favorites and also because moving to a new artist every week means it might be easy to not go back to one we've already done

22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Haha I was posting in the Stevie thread back when y'all were in it, totally oblivious to the fact that he was the artist of the week.

23. cshadows2887

We're off and running with Stevie Wonder. Go check his thread (everything is in the OP) and weigh in!

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I love this idea. Thanks for taking the time time to put this together each week, btw. I can tell how passionate you are about it and put a lot of thought into what your selections are for each artist. Looking forward to what else is in store.

25. cshadows2887

Hah yeah it's something I feel really strongly about. My knowledge is far from definitive or anything, but I'm so happy to make whatever guidance I can provide available to help people on a journey that's been really important to me discovering artists from different genres and eras

stnewton likes this.