Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Linkin Park Planning L.A. Event

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I wonder who will be singing for Linkin Park...I guess the lead singer of Phoenix?

ConArdist likes this.
  3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Nah, Dave from LP just wrote this message on behalf of the rest of the band.

4. tomtom94

Trusted

Note that they say "event", not "concert". Although I expect they will end up playing. (And there will be no shortage of vocalists to help with that).

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I'd really like to see a round up of singers handle Chesters vocals. Could be really, really cool.

6. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Wow, sounds like they're considering moving forward without Chester.

"the five of us are so grateful for all of your support as we heal and build the future of Linkin Park"

I mean, it seems like they're outright saying Linkin Park has a future without Chester.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

It'd be cool to see Linkin Park play a set with a bunch of friends filling in for Chester. But, while it's obviously their band and their friend and I'll support them regardless, I think it'd make the most sense after this for them to continue as a 5-piece. They have enough songs Mike could handle as sole lead singer for that to work. Dead vocalists being replaced is nothing new, but a band with as consistent a roster as they've had for two decades replacing a vocalist who took his own life just would feel... weird. Though, again, if bringing a new person into the band full-time is something they're comfortable with and that'd be best for the band, I'd never say they are wrong to do so.

js977, honkytonk and coleslawed like this.
  8. Jackbo487

Regular

Intrigued about this Los Angeles event, I'll definitely be there.

9. Joseph Pepe

Sounds like they will move on and fill the void of Chester with someone to do him justice. Only the band can truly know what is right and what Chester would want. I hope fans will support whatever decision they decide is best.

Raku likes this.
  10. Yellowcard2006 Aug 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 23, 2017)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I would totally understand if the band had just broken up and started a new project but I know however they move forward they'll do their best to honor Chester.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I had a dream that Anthony Green sang some songs with LP once. It was off the hook.

Jackbo487 likes this.
  12. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Still so upsetting. I know what he was feeling. And even though LP had become "lame", I was in the fourth row of their tour w/ 30STM and AFI, but left before Linkin Park. I really regret it.

13. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

They just need to break up, unfortunately. It's the proper thing to do.

14. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Continuing LP without Chester, impossible as it seems at first, might make sense in a way. But they'll have to become something else, it will be have to break away from most of what they have been.

I think replacing Chester should definitely be out of the question. They're good at evolving, so I believe it's possible.

I hope it works out. It's so sad, but they still have so much to give. We just wish Chester would have been a part of it.

15. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Not at all. It could be something great like Alice in Chains and ACDC or it could be just ok like Drowning Pool and Sublime with Rome. This wouldn't be a money grab at all since they're all set for life and I know they're not going to let just anyone fill that role. I hope they give Chris Musser (former singer of From Ashes to New) a shot. I think he can nail Chester's parts.

Raku likes this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't think it's fair to say there's a "proper thing to do" in these situations. There are many options, and only they can know what's most appropriate for their band.

coleslawed and Raku like this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

I did a run down all the songs in their discography Mike could probably do alone in the LP thread, but there isn't many and hardly any of them are their biggest hits. If Chester wasn't replaced they would be forced to play a handful of songs from the past 17 years and then all new stuff.

Either way, I am with you with that I'll support whatever they do. Always loved these guys.

18. Tim

I think there are enough.

Like, "Papercut" would be very easy, as would "High Voltage." "In the End" could work, too, though the bridge wouldn't have as much kick the second time through; the same applies to "Breaking the Habit," which was written by Mike and kinda reminds me at times like something he'd sing. The piano version of "Crawling" they do live would work. I've seen footage of Mike singing the chorus of "Leave Out All the Rest" live as part of a piano intro, so I know he can do that. I wouldn't be surprised if "Shadow of the Day" and/or "What I've Done" could work, and most likely "Burning in the Skies" and "Iridescent," too. Obviously "When They Come for Me" and "Hands Held High." Probably "Burn It Down"; definitely "Castle of Glass," "Roads Untraveled," and "Until It Breaks." I'm pretty sure "All for Nothing" could work? Mike already sings either lead or clearly audible background on all of "Rebellion" outside of the screams in the bridge, which could be left out pretty easily. Obviously "Invisible" and most of "Sorry For Now" are already Mike. Some other songs from One More Light, like "Heavy" and the title track, might also be options?

Some of those 20ish options I tossed out I'm not completely sure about, but at least a dozen or so (including some pretty big songs like "Leave Out All the Rest" and "Papercut") seem very possible, and I'm sure more of them would be with some tweaking. They often do some rearrangements live anyways, as well as a lot of snippets, which means that even songs I left out from earlier in their career could be mashed up and/or remixed and partially done. Throw in a song or two from Fort Minor, or maybe a cover song, and you easily have a full set.

19. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I can imagine the remaining members maybe carrying on together under a new name a la New Order.

20. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I'm sure Xero is still an option since everyone minus Chester was apart of it.

21. Davjs

Trusted

I was watching some live LP videos the other day (like every other day) and Mike sings along with Chester during the verses of Papercut so can probably do that one and some others alone. I bet if he did In The End the crowd would always be happy to do Chester's part.

I imagine they would only be able to do: The Little Things that Give You Away, In Between, Papercut, In The End, When They Come for Me, Iridescent, The Catalyst, Castle of Glass, Until It Breaks, All for Nothing, Invisible.

All for Nothing is one of the only songs that is all Mike anyway, so yeah that one would work.

Mike has grown as a singer throughout the years, but I still cannot see him hitting those notes on What I've Done, Shadow of the Day or Burning in the Sky. And songs like Rebellion would suck without the screaming in it, even if he can do the verses.

I would love to be surprised though and have him unleash some hidden singing ranges he hasn't showed :-)

22. Tim

Like I said, they seem to like doing rearrangements, mash-ups, snippets, etc. live. I've seen them put the bridge of "The Catalyst" into the bridge of "Bleed It Out," and use "Remember the Name" as an intro to "Waiting For The End." Or, leave out the second verse or the bridge from a song. It'd be within their wheelhouse to either skip the bridge of "Rebellion" or replace it with either the rap of another song or some DJ stuff. Maybe they could shift the key of a couple songs to better fit Mike's range, too.

23. Davjs

Trusted

Ohhhhh, I didn't get that you were talking about like changing song structures and doing mash ups. That could work, but not doing full songs would be a bummer. They have been doing shorted versions of songs like Lost in the Echo and Catalyst on their most recent tour anyway so I guess it really isn't a stretch.

24. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Sorry for the late reply, I have not been on here...however he's been the face of arguably the biggest band in the nation since 2000, and they need to disband or reform like Wovenwar or No Devotion.

25. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Good points, I have to stick by my original opinion though. And sorry for the late response, I took a break from the internet haha