Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Linkin Park - One More Light (May 19, 2017) Album • Page 21

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TEGCRocco, Feb 16, 2017.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

It's pretty clear he was intending to portray Chester's comments in a negative light, if you don't see that in the tone of the prior articles then I don't know, agree to disagree I suppose. My main critique is that his articles, as opposed to those by some other outlets, were very clearly opinion pieces that offered a point of view. And now he's trying to, two months later, go against that point of view and focus on "hurtful things said on the Internet" and the impact they can have, without actually owning up to what he personally wrote about Chester.

2. beachdude

3. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I mean I won't lie I said some snarky things in regards to Chesters comments but now I just feel awful about it. LP played a big role in my life and I hate that I felt so negatively towards Chester because of the article above and his quotes that were taken out of context. In reality the poor guy was probably dealing with a lot of mental and physical exhaustion. This is just terrible.

5. beachdude

I understand where you're coming from completely. Tbh this is why clickbait journalism designed to basically be misleading can be harmful, even in the music scene.

6. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's ok to have been disappointed by Chester's comments back then - we couldn't have known this was going to happen, and taken just by themselves you could argue that they were inappropriate. But that's the thing about celebrities - we only get these article quotes and video clips that paint us a picture of who they are but obviously never show the full story of what is going on inside their heads. Unless a celebrity publicly states or responds to something, all we have to go on is what media gives us, which is inherently skewed. So we can be disappointed in ourselves with hindsight but we were really just eating up what was fed to us at the time.
    I swear now though that I am going to try my best to back off giving any artist a hard time full stop. I'm not going to offer shitty comments like "this sucks" on this website or anything because it serves no-one. I feel like I rarely do it anyway (could be wrong) but this should be a wake-up call to anyone to do what they can to prevent "fans" using things like twitter to abuse artists and not show them even a basic level of respect.

7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

For what its worth I've been revisiting their discography and while the last two or so arent exactly my cup of tea theyre still solid enough albums. But those first 3, Hybrid Theory in particular, were monumental in my musical development.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've been listening to them non stop since yesterday.

9. goation

Regular

Just a reminder that when dealing with people who have very shitty views and are saying godawful things, take the time, be patient, and try to help them see.

You are only different from others in the experiences you've had.

I am very grateful for the people and experiences I've had that have helped me understand a lot about mental illness and get rid of some very horrible views I had on it naturally.

I try to create those same chances for people whenever I can.

10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Wow. This is really good.

beachdude42, js977 and Davjs like this.
  11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think I've listened to Hybrid Theory in years, but it and Meteora were in constant rotation for me during middle school. What's funny is that when I first heard Minutes to Midnight, I was soooo bummed that was the new album... and now it's probably in my top 10 of that decade and basically a classic for me.

js977 likes this.
  12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I've been saying for years I don't think this band gets nearly enough credit. The last two are also my least favorite, but both have a handful of great tracks. You could always count on them to release something completely different than on their last outing, which I think deserves a ton of appreciation. Just the fact that a band as massive as they are attempted something like A Thousand Suns is kind of staggering.

13. Sad Messiah

Regular

The Hunting Party is awesome guys

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The bookends of that album are amazing, but the middle loses me.

15. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

all of you saying how much Chesters death means a lot to you - perhaps you're a few years younger than me, because <that> is how I felt with Chris' death.

Soundgardens music was, to me, 91 or so. When they did Lollapalooza, when Chris came out with his hair... his sweat... Those <eyes> .....

LP was after my time, really. Knew the radio hits, nothing else. I didnt even realize (or remember) that Chester took over for STP when Scott died. I wasn't into STP much, same thing.. knew the radio hits, never had an album.

--------------------

More importantly - is everyone doing ok? Anything we can do, as a music community, to help anyone here , kwim?

16. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I'd love for them to do a benefit concert raising awareness to mental health.

They could have a solid line up and have some of the bands do guest spots for the LP songs. Honestly the fact mental health is still not broadcast enough in the world is scary. Of course there are organisations out there that are trying their best to make a difference but theres still loads of people that aren't speaking up.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  17. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I agree, but as a dude in his awkward twenties, I can say that I think things are improving. For the first fourteen years of my life, mental illness (particularly depression) was something that was rarely discussed and kind of brushed under the rug. I had friends suffering from similar ailments. It took a suicide attempt on my part for it to be brought up within my own household, and even then, it took years for my father to develop symptoms of anxiety himself to apologize and say he never understood how awful it can feel. Today, I see many people speaking out about their issues on that front (not just celebrities, but people I know personally) and while it could of course always be better, I think it is one positive change (in the face of the insanity we call "2017") I've seen over my life.

Sorry for the personal story. I know it's a thread about the album and subsequently, Bennington's unfortunate passing. I felt it was applicable under the circumstances. Hope it isn't too off-topic.

With that said, I think the benefit concert idea would be nice. I would also love to see Linkin Park do at least one more album to see where they grow from this tragedy. That might sound selfish as a fan, but I think it could be very cathartic for the band and listeners. Of course, I respect wherever they go from here. I couldn't imagine a loss like this. They've been working together for the better half of my life.

skogsraet likes this.
  18. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

For as huge of a band as they are, I really appreciate their constant effort to try something new each album. Bands on that level don't take risks, and end up putting out the same album over and over again.

19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I will say this for the album, I heard one of the tracks on a music channel compilation of Chester's music (Think it was Battle Symphony) and thought it was alright. Probably the best out of all the songs from it I heard. Still not my thing, but it made me think about the backlash the album got and I think something like this makes you realise how extreme it must have been.

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've been listening to their discography since Thursday. Forgot how great Meteora was. I always put it on par with Hybrid Theory, but listening to them back to back they showed a lot of growth and Meteora is much stronger. Minutes to Midnight is great, I remember being a bit disappointed with the... more mainstream? direction, but there are great songs on there. "Leave Out All The Rest" is particularly gutting right now. I loved A Thousand Suns when it came out and I'm excited to revisit it. I never heard these last two records so those will be fresh for me

21. House Of Wolves

"Don't Stay" holds up really well... What a ripper.

js977, flask, beachdude42 and 2 others like this.
  22. beachdude

The news is still hitting me really hard honestly. Linkin Park was arguably the single most important band to my musical development, and I never really stopped listening to them... even as I moved away from listening to a lot of similar bands as often, I still had a lot of their songs in pretty regular rotation. So many of their songs have been soundtracks to moments in my life, to the point where I can hear certain songs by them and instantly get taken back to a certain memory. It's just so sad that this is how their story ends...

23. beachdude

This is honestly the most a celebrity death has ever affected me I think. I was in total shock when I heard the news and it still hasn't really worn off.

24. goation

Regular

Worst one for me was Scott Weiland. Dude was my fucking hero and he just died in a tour bus high as fuck. Even though it wasn't suicide I got into my own head a lot with that and thought about death too much. Went through a pretty intense period for a few months after that.

inwaves and beachdude42 like this.
  25. goation Jul 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 23, 2017)
    goation

Regular

Chester Bennington's tweets after Weiland's death. Even though Chester's release with STP was obviously panned, I always respected him as a fan of the band. He always said he took a lot of melodic inspiration from Scott then he got the ultimate fan's dream of getting to play in the band too. When Scott died I can't imagine what that felt like for him. Now Chester too has passed.

This is too fucking sad I gotta stop thinking about it too much

skogsraet, inwaves and beachdude42 like this.