Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lil Yachty - Teenage Emotions (May 26th, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Hey, Yachty's got this far and this album proves he's not going away.

Also, anyone else feel like this Yachty's first time where he made songs that will translate really well to an arena type setting? The more I listen, the more I can see him playing songs like All Around Me, All You Had to Say, Forever Young in a large arena? They all have this larger than life style that I think will translate really well. He's the most "rock star" of the new artists.

But he needs to drastically change and improve his live performance to really take advantage of the positions he's in now. Listening to those songs live would be insane, and I'm guessing he's not there vocally yet to really deliver and win over fans. I.e. The loud belt in All You Had To Say would win over some people if he was able to successfully hit it.

2. sawhney[rusted]2

Worst part of this albums length is that most people won't be able to make to the end to see how genuinely good Running with A Ghost, Made of Glass and Momma are.

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Tbh this doesn't really feel long to me once you get by the first 4.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

But people will definitely write it off before it even gets into the good stuff.

I think even mor detrimental are those who try to approach it as a straight forward hip hop album.

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Also I think the beat on No More sounds like something off the last Bieber album filtered through a megaphone.

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Holy shit, it SO does. This isn't long to me because of how varied it is - you got some slappers, some crooners, some pop hits, some cloudy weirdness. I would also say the first two songs are great, three and four seem the most out of place but when they came on yesterday while I was gaming I still enjoyed 'em - dip in quality but still fun

I'm srsly falling for this album

brandon_260 likes this.
  7. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

This seems to be the problem for most of the people I talk to about hip hop, they can't just accept that it's not all about lyrics anymore. They can't just hear the music and assess it based on that, they always have to take into consideration that the artist is a rapper, so if they don't come with bars then they're automatically disregarded. It's very limiting but it seems like more and more people are waking up to the reality of it all the time.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, the variety here is probably its strongest strength. Based on the singles, I thought this would be a 50/50 split of weirdo pop and harder trap songs. Crazy how much more than that is on display. Now I just need him to come around here on tour cause I need to dance to these songs! I mean, dance outside of my kitchen alone.

Favorite right now is Forever Young, especially the pre-chorus. Especially especially "If I break your heart then I'm a dumb dude" and the delivery of that line.

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I think Forever Young has the largest potential to be a hit. The Diplo production mixed with that pre-chorus is hugeeeeeee

suicidesaints likes this.
  10. DeathOrGlory May 27, 2017
    (Last edited: May 27, 2017)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Just finished All Around Me and it's probably my favourite so far. The track 2-4 stretch was skip worthy and I'm still not into Harley unfortunately. Yachty needs to cool it on the sex rhymes. Some of them make me feel legitimately gross and I'm a Danny Brown fan. Say My Name is pretty neat though. Looking forward to Better and Forever Young since those are consensus good jams.

Edit: Damn. I enjoy weird pop star Yachty a lot. Tracks 6-10 are all great and I'm just half way through. You guys weren't kidding about Better and Forever Young.

11. btr

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

holy shit it's real

amazing

yachty has some great annotations on there

JRGComedy and Joel like this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Wait that's real??? Saw that yesterday assumed it was a joke

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Also, Squidward plays the clarinet.

suicidesaints and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. cwhit

16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

this is so fun and great s/o @brandon_260 for hypin it hard on twitter.com

brandon_260 and cwhit like this.
  17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Aregala likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This is fucking hysterical.

19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it's funny at first but then you realize Yachty spent more time on whether or not a cello is a woodwind than addressing the racism and misogyny in that line. Then it's just fucking sad.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. cwhit

we talked about this a bit in the hip hop forum but especially in hip hop there's a lot of layers to why this stuff is accepted in the industry, and it's not all to put on the artists. i'm not condoning things he's said of course and i wish that these lyrics weren't a thing but there's a lot to unpack when it comes to violence/misogyny/homophobia in hip hop

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Yeah and I was in the hip hop forum for that too but the conversation certainly shouldn't end there. And the fact that it's a complicated topic with a lot to unpack shouldn't matter, we should still hold artists accountable. Nobody gets a free pass to talk about women like this and the hesitancy to hold individuals accountable for their own words is why misogyny is so pervasive in hip hop. Like Kanye's a genius, so no one calls him out for it, Kendrick is so much better about it so it's not a priority with him, Yachty is young and fairly new to the industry, so why should he be held accountable...I mean, the excuses are easy for hip hop fans to make, but here we have Yachty talking about his lyrics, engaging with fans, clearly he's listening to criticism and no one even mentions how fucked those lyrics are -- that's disturbing and it's not the right way to address the problem.

Edit: just in case I wasn't clear, I'm not trying to call anyone out itt, when I say we're not holding artists accountable, I'm thinking about the way no one mentions these things in interviews or album reviews etc

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think rap lyrics are always meant to be taken literally and I definitely don't think that 100% of them reflect the actual views of the rapper

Like I said, I highly doubt Yachty has had an orgy on his grandmother's porch. Maybe it's unfair of me to be bothered by some and not by others, but the goofy aesthetic and strange oddball nature of the record leads me to believe a lot of this is persona/character and not some confessional diary entry

jpmalone4 and CarpetElf like this.
  23. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It doesn't matter if it's not 100% his views. When you put those lyrics on an album and take them out on tour, you're condoning it, and no matter how goofy it's meant to be, that doesn't make it any less misogynistic.

As a hip hop fan I understand the need to contextualize it so it doesn't feel gross when you're listening to the music you love but as a woman, I'm so fucking sick of it all.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  24. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

i think this is 100% fair and should be discussed and considered. Like you said, there is a need to contextualize and theres history behind WHY misogyny and homophobia is in certain aspects of the hip hop culture, but theres definitely merit in wanting to unpack/discuss that instead of just leaving it there. Criticizing the genre doesnt mean you dont respect or understand it and its something I struggle with as well since im a big Nas and A Tribe Called Quest fan myself, among others of course.

25. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I definitely agree the interviewer at Genius should have asked him about the racism/misogyny part of the line, but especially in the context of the album cover which reflects the complete opposite of those things. Just seems like a badly missed opportunity to talk about something more important.

skogsraet likes this.