Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lil Peep - Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 1 (August 14th, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Aug 15, 2017.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I just started writing a response to this but I think I want to let it gestate a bit before commenting. Don't want to mis-communicate my ideas the first time around

Micah511 likes this.
  2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

It's fine, I'm not 100% familiar with this scene so I could've mistakenly come off as insensitive. I've also not dealt personally with drug abuse or major depression. I'm just thinking out loud more than anything, and I welcome any comments to help me understand better.

3. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

I lowkey stanned Peep and the dude was an incredibly tortured soul. I'd show my friends stuff and they'd see interviews and be like "Is he always high?" and I would be like "Aren't we?" albeit he was on a lil more than we. I watched interviews of his alot, he's flat out said he has a lot of childhood trauma that fucked his head up for good. Breaks my heart cus I know exactly the slot he's in and it was like a mirror seeing him doing so well at least professionally, hopeful he can find his way through.... mirroring even that in my own life with my own struggles but own blessing to try and help my come up.. feeling more and more hopeless day by day despite fighting harder and harder.

Really lost in both aspects now, lost a mirror and a fav. Just hope his pain is over now.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. sawhney[rusted]2

It's a positive feedback loop, since they obtain success from a culture and aesthetic that puts drug use and self-medication stemming from mental health issues as one of the major things that connects with others that are going through the same thing at that time. But I can't help that this makes the artist disposable since while the artist is communicating their emotional, physical and mental issues, the artist's success stems directly from being able to communicate these deeply personal issues. It has cross-over with conversations in other threads about fan entitlement within the scene and the idea the an artist has to struggle to be successful because, while the fans have no obligation to continue to be fans of the artist, there's great risk to ditching your entire "brand" (and I use brand very loosely in this context, not to turn the artist into a commodity) for the sake of actually addressing issue by seeking external help. There's a self-deprecation and toxic masculinity element to this as well, as if they have to wallow in their own self-pity to connect with their audience at a level.

Please educate me if I'm wrong!

5. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

There is a lot of truth to this, I will say though perhaps Peep struggled with it too but was defiantly himself but Peep never was afraid to not be masculine... But considering even my own battles with that maybe he wasn't current day but maybe he had a lot of hell to be able to get to that point.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Every time I see another headline about his passing, my heart sinks.

sleepy likes this.
  7. sawhney[rusted]2

I admittedly don't know about Peep and his self-expression, but I was talking about the masculinity aspect in the more traditional role when it comes to social dynamics. More that the idea that if you seek help for your issues, you're seen as a weaker man in the "tribe" and are pushed aside. For a budding and growing artist, that's extremely tough since there's so much pressure and stuff riding on your aesthetic and brand when you're starting out, that you can't do what Kanye or Kid Cudi did since you don't have the same clout and can't risk your entire career for it. I don't know, just spitballing here

8. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

The soundcloud generation of rappers is a lil different from the prior generation to be fair... a lot of the soundcloud wave is angst, depression, anger, self expression etc. Peep openly spoke about being bisexual, loving all races, being "a depressed drug addict whos life is crumbling". At least in the instance of Peep he was not afraid to be vulnerable, not masculine, and open. Which is why he was so endearing.

Your overall points are not lost though, just speaking from what I know about Peep from all my time spending nights listening, watching, streaming etc. I really invested in Peep like I have only invested in maybe 3-5 other artists total in life, and he beat out the degree of even some of them.

Aaron Mook and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  9. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

Henry, skogsraet, Aaron Mook and 4 others like this.
  10. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Wicca Phase Springs Eternal, one of his close collaborators.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

Wicca is Adam McIlwee (formerly of Tigers Jaw), and the co-founder (along with cold hart & Horse Head) of the collective Peep was in: GothBoiClique.

Can't imagine having to be in the position he and especially those who are on the tour with him are in. So sad all around.

Aaron Mook and Micah511 like this.
  12. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Zac Djamoos, zmtr, Contender and 6 others like this.
  14. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

Need more people who truly respect mental illness and dont leave these people like Peep, myself, and many others feeling hopeless so they numb since no one listens, understands, or respects. so much in the world is fly by night or fair weather, and to someone depressed everything feels fleeting. Peep had a song where he said "I been on my own since age 9".
    I know that feeling all too well, my life changed when I was 7, I can trace back the end of my innocence/happiness to then and the corruption and sickness in my mind starting to take over. Never had a family member that supported it, a friend that stuck around, a girl that stayed true at some point you can be as optimistic and non-defeatist as you like, but it gets you eventually.
    It's not even always for lack of trying Peep was blowing up, he had a life he dreamed of, its the bonds and support people don't get/have that leads to feeling the need to use drugs and shit... i did pills in college, stopped... i drink to fall asleep now.. Peep was a voice even if I couldnt talk to him he spoke to me. It's a shame and terribly sad there wasn't a voice keeping him together even in the slightest like that.

Sobriety is possible, but lets try and snuff out what causes people to turn that way in the first place as best we can too, no one should have to suffer to the point they literally have to be drugged damn near 24/7 to get through the day...

15. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

Honestly this one hurts so much cus I never met Peep, sadly never will. He is from Long Island so I felt close off proximity but Billy Joel is from here too and I'm not listening to him daily..... It was.... I don't know the best way to word it so bare with me if this is poorly worded... I just feel compelled to share cus I owe Peep a lot, and see that now with how his loss impacts me.

My entire life I always bounced around interests and such tryna find a sense of belonging or self representation through it, in ways to help identify myself cus I never understood. Not for lack of trying, just a lot of things around me blinding them, and me in turn letting myself be blinded.... the last few years I been starting to piece those things together but pieces were still missing for that "Who am I?" answer to be fulfilled.
    Something about when I found Lil Peep and his music, his aesthetic, attitude, his sense of positioning in the world - a genuinely soft & big hearted guy but admitted hard head/asshole at times (often unintentionally lol), a super talented artist with so much potential but also admitted self destructive soul. His embracing of being right in the middle of that Pop Punk/Emo/Rap realm made me realize that that's perfectly normal, and I'd been that exact moron not knowing that it was cool to be that and just that and enjoy other things too. I never understood comfort in my own skin, but Peep definitely seemed sure of at least who he wanted to present to the world and how he felt... and I learned kinda through watching a dude younger then me create a lane artistically that as just a fan of music was my ultimate wheelhouse I never knew I needed to hear that bad lol.

In a way Peep taught me about myself through watching him and his come up, probably why this one hurts so much. I can honestly say I'm more certain of and comfortable in myself just for having been a fan of his.

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I’m so upset that I didn’t go to his show a couple weeks ago. I had a spot and bailed at the last minute.

17. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Joel likes this.
  19. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Wow, so young. I only started hearing his name like six months ago. RIP. I’ve never really heard much from him but I will definitely check his stuff out now.

20. I can tell how much he meant to you and the way you write about his impact on your identity really speaks to me. I just wanted to thank you for sharing and let you know that a lot of people in this thread/on this site would be happy to talk with you if you're ever having a particularly rough day or a hard time processing everything. Things have been crazy around here since the news about Brand New broke and there are a lot of us having a hard time reconciling that, but I've also seen more support for each other in these forums than ever, so there is hope.

sleepy, maryp1603, tshreve and 2 others like this.
  21. "Help me find a way to pass the time
    Everybody telling me life's short, but I wanna die
    Help me find a way to make you mine
    Everybody telling me not to, but I'm gonna try
    Now I'm getting high again, tonight"

This hit me as I was walking home from work today.

Doomsday and Contender like this.
  22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I didn't have a heart to love you
    I wish I didn't play a part to break you
    I wish I didn't do a lot of shit I do
    And I wish you didn't too
    Runnin' away from you takes time and pain
    And I don't even want to
    So I'm gettin' high all week without you
    Poppin' pills, thinkin' about you
    "What have you been through?"
    She asked me
    Every fucking kind of abuse

Joel likes this.
  23. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Listening to this again after writing him off aside from a few songs. There are definitely some fantastic hooks on it

sophos34 likes this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

I didn't know he sampled old indie classics and stuff. I've definitely enjoyed a few tracks I've heard today.

RIP