Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lightyear (Angus MacLane, June 17, 2022) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Oct 27, 2021.

1. In junior high school, my favorite pen died and ran out of ink. I buried it in the sandbox in our backyard. So I get it. Haha

2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Thought this was alright! Kiss is def there.

3. Ferrari333SP Jul 17, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 17, 2022)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

All I cared about was how cool it was they had a bit about time dilation, which reminded directly of Interstellar. Don’t get though how they didn’t plan for it in the first place

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

as someone who recently retired their (second) iPhone 7, i feel his pain.

5. Serh Jul 19, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 19, 2022)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

now on D+

popdisaster00 likes this.
  7. Even my kids are like “nah no thanks”

8. It was pretty fun

9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Bunch of dorks.

Sorry, I shouldn’t be harsh to children. Bunch of ummm silly billies.

10. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

i'm watching it now with an open mind. Pretty entertaining so far.

I can definitely see the disconnect this had though. If they would have made a sci-fi adventure that's a tribute to late 20th century popcorn films and aims to inspire kids to enter STEM that's its own IP unconnected to anything else it could have worked.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

the setup for this makes 0 sense. if they already had a crystal and were traveling at hyper speed on their original mission, how did they not know about time dilation?

so many other questions, but the main bulk of the story was pretty good.

12. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah that was the first thing that threw me off first - how would they not know time dilation would affect them?

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the only thing that bothered me was the idea that everyone wouldn't know the Zurg reveal decades later and they would still be able to sell toys around it, the Darth Vader reveal is a big enough cultural milestone that Homer reveals it on the Simpsons

14. deflector

formerly pizzatime

wow this was extremely boring.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I know you are but what am I

16. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I really liked this! A good sci-fi adventure, had no business being tied to Toy Story though, very weird decision. Would have been much more suitable being a D+ only premiere in its current form, that spins off into an episodic series of their adventures afterwards

17. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Watched it in pieces with my daughter over the last few days. It seems fine. Feels pretty melodramatic, and the time dilation stuff seems to be an obvious plot device for a space movie at this point.

18. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Honestly thought this was kinda a mess

- For starters, the entire premise of this being *the* lightyear film that got Andy into Buzz Lightyear... I don't buy it. It didn't feel like a film plucked out of the 90s. Kinda shot themselves in the foot with that premise, as if you view it as a modern reboot of the buzz lightyear story I guess it... maybe works?

- Except it really also doesn't. Star Command turning on Buzz and taking away the cat makes no sense. There would've been far more room for conversation there. The timeline splitting stuff doesn't really make any sense. (Time dilation is an actual thing that sure you can take liberties with to make the story work but turning it into time travel...). "Zurgs" motivations... maybe kinda make sense for the movie but don't make sense for Zurg as a long term villain. The overall plot felt rather predictable, and it honestly wasn't that funny

Was definitely room to do make a lightyear film that worked. Would've been a challenge to nail that "Make a modern movie that feels like its plucked from the 90s" vibe... but honestly feels like they didn't even try.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. My kids and I finally watched it. It was not great!

20. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

My daughter literally said it was fine after her first watch. Harsh criticism from a girl who loves Mulan 2

imthesheriff and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  21. It’s definitely bottom tier Pixar

AgonizingFir likes this.