Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lights - PEP (April 1, 2022) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Feb 2, 2022.

1. irthesteve Feb 2, 2022
    (Last edited: Feb 4, 2022)
    irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Brand new full length comin atcha!

[​IMG]

1. Beside Myself
    2. In My Head ft. Josh Dun
    3. Prodigal Daughter
    4. Salt and Vinegar
    5. Money In The Bag ft. Kiesza
    6. Jaws
    7. Rent
    8. Sparky
    9. Real Thing ft. Elohim
    10. Easy Money
    11. Okay Okay
    12. Voices Carry
    13. Grip

2. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

I really wished I liked these more. Happy to hear she's still making music though!

amorningofsleep and David Parke like this.
  3. irthesteve

I love Prodigal Daughter and enjoy Real Thing, feels more interlude-y to me than a main song. 3rd single out tomorrow.

4. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yay

5. Ellamamama

I'd imagine Beside Myself has got to be included in this release? Easily my favorite release from her since Little Machines.

6. irthesteve

@Ellamamama I doubt it, but I LOVE that song. All the promo for this album has been very meticulous and only has included Prodigal Daughter, Real Thing and Salt & Vinegar so far.

7. irthesteve

Album art looks awesome

8. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

It does seem like Beside Myself will be on the album

9. irthesteve

Based off the first image top left of the cover?

10. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

11. irthesteve

12. irthesteve

amorningofsleep likes this.
  13. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Besides Myself as the opener - love it

irthesteve likes this.
  14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Cant wait for the ridiculously good acoustic version of this record in two years

amorningofsleep and irthesteve like this.
  15. irthesteve

16. irthesteve

I'm diggin the new song and just blown away by how good the visuals have been this album cycle. All 3 videos, the album cover and her whole instagram feed have been so in line

17. irthesteve

Tim Pagnotta worked on Salt and Vinegar, very cool

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  18. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

I've been a Lights fan since The Listening and this may be the first album I can't get into. "Beside Myself" is great, but these three singles are just not for me at all.

19. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

Also, while the art direction for this album is cool with the primary colors and the studio photography isn't bad, the actual design of the cover is very amateur. I'm guessing it's probably something she made herself, but there's no consistency or uniformity to the illustration style of the song icons and the font is just a freeware copy of the Star Trek logo (note the straight interiors of the S and the shortened bar of the G).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(not that this means anything to anyone else, but it's something that really bothers me and I can't unsee)

20. irthesteve

Album art is awesome and she most likely did it herself because she's badass

21. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

Look, she's a gifted musician and a brilliant aestheticist, but her practical design skills aren't on the same level (if that cover is her design), and there's no shame in that.

Otherwise, she wouldn't be ripping skulls off of Google "side skull vector" searches:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like I said, I'm a big fan of hers and I think the art direction as a whole is great, I just wish she had entrusted the help of a pro designer to help her in this one area because the direction is so strong. Sorta like your one friend who is incredibly talented on guitars and keys -- but just OK on drums -- yet, in the studio, they insist on recording all the parts themselves when there are so many great drummers out there...

Anyway, I digress since no one truly cares about the album artwork here anyway B-)

earthlight likes this.
  22. irthesteve

23. RedDotRecording

Record Engineer/Producer. Musician. Coffee Punk.

I feel like people should be freaking out about Salt & Vinegar. It's SOOOOOOOO good!

...and don't even get me started on Prodigal Daughter. Do you know how many quiet moments I've had since the first time I heard either of those songs (I hadn't even heard about Prodigal Daughter until Salt & Vinegar)? Fucking zero. One of them is running through my head constantly.

The only stuff I really know in these sorts of sonic ballparks are CHVRCHES, the earlier Ellie Goulding stuff, I think Glass Animals could be sort of related...and that's about all I know. Any other recommendations in this musical realm?

irthesteve likes this.
  24. irthesteve

25. Ellamamama

I wish she would do more features on harder tracks. She has a perfect voice for it similar to the keyboardist from Make Them Suffer. I wonder why she hasn't featured more with blessthefall.