Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

LGBTQIA+ Thread • Page 12

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nick, Mar 7, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I need like 3 months processing St Vincent and Kristen Stewart before I can process this

2. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Damn I am way behind on my celeb gossip

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

damn thats awesome

my boss found out im queer and hes been really cool about it, despite being a stark raving mad Republican with deeply rooted religious views. so thats pretty sweet

4. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Not gonna lie, when I saw Abbi posted that picture of Carrie I low key thought the same thing.

BUT ST. VINCENT AND KSTEW??? this is brand new information to me. What happened to Cara??????

5. morgantayler Oct 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2016)
    morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Also idk if any of you follow women's soccer but Tobin Heath and Christen Press are 99.99% dating and it is fueling my life right now.

Ashlyn Harris and and Ali Krieger, too. Today, Ali played in the NWSL championship and Ashlyn posted a picture wearing a jersey with her number on it and said she was her number one fan and I died.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Annie and Cara broke up like a month ago, it was devastating but this might make up for it

7. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Happy National Coming Out Day

I sort of feel like throwing up a post that says "Thought I was done with coming out years ago, but: I'm a dude, what up"

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

the marriage plebiscite in Australia has been blocked.

9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

no words, just sadness

11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

here's a completely stolen cliff notes version of events

1) Current ruling party, the Liberal-National coalition (Australian Liberals are the conservative party, don't ask), are currently headed by the moderate Malcolm Turnbull.

2) One of Turnbull's election promises was something for the LGBT community, but he can't go out-and-out in support because the Right Wing of his own party will revolt against him. Thus his compromise offer: a National Plebiscite - a nation-wide, federally-funded opinion poll with no force of law.

3) Libs don't have the numbers to force anything through parliament without the crossbench (independent senators), and enough crossbenchers indicated they were anti-plebiscite that so long as the major opposition party joined ranks and opposed, the plebiscite was dead in the water. They have done so.

4) Major reasons against the plebiscite were varied, but the top few were probably that a) federal funding had to go to both "Yes gay marriage" and "No gay marriage" campaigns, and churches etc were free to spend as much money as they liked and weren't held to truth in advertising standards, b) It was probably going to give bigots a wonderful licence to spout off their garbage as if it was worth anything and c) even if it went through the Libs weren't going to be bound by its results anyway so what was the fucking point?

14. The "no" campaign would've been very hurtful, I'm relieved that the plebiscite hasn't gone through. I know we'll have to wait now but we shouldn't have to sit through months of hate speech and risk kids lives.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  15. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Got to push my timetable way up for telling my boss about transition...to yesterday. Bottom line, I'm not going to the office enough, and we are at a make or break point with my employment here, so out it came. Why I've hated going to the office and talking to people for months now, constantly as Stephanie and never as Silas. With a bunch of tears and me actually saying the words "I am transgender" I think for the first time out loud to another human besides my therapist.

She was extremely supportive, and as I am her first trans employee, she's absolutely deferring to me on everything. She had to send an email to two high ups in HR - I guess my attendance problem is THAT bad - and I have no idea what's going to happen with that. So either way, now I get to push up my timetable for telling local office HR as well. Honestly though, now is a good time to do that because open enrollment for health insurance starts on Halloween, and I need to know if this shit will cover surgery next year. Woo.

16. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Met with a very nice HR lady today, who said she felt honored that I told her I'm trans. In a company that's been around in some form or another for 25 years, apparently I'm the first openly trans person to be transitioning at this place.

Openly. Heh. I want this to be just like when I came out as a lesbian: if it comes up I mention it if I want - haven't thought twice about saying "my girlfriend blar blar" in years. Disclosed without directly disclosing...I wonder if that is possible here.

Anyway, good meeting with HR. Since this is a huge company with 200+ people just at this office, I'm leaning toward picking a day, changing everything (name, email, pronouns, bathroom) and telling anyone who asks that if they have questions to go see a special point of contact person.

17. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

You are amazing! This is seriously so uplifting. I know I haven't posted over here yet, but I couldn't not after just bursting into tears. I am so happy for you! Friday was apparently the day to get talked to about attendance because of hating being at the office. Your boss and the HR lady being so supportive is really, really cool. So congrats! :-) and hi everyone else.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Thank you for the kind words :-) I feel quite fortunate that things are going this smoothly so far for me.

And hello yourself!

19. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]
    :hearteyes:

20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Prepped my shot and stuck myself today. Aw yiss.

Also, I have an idea for the ol' Facebook coming out...change my name on Election Day lol

21. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Check a couple more people off the list - told my girlfriend's sister and brother and their SOs about my transition. They are all so awesome and her sister called me Silas right away. I also asked them how I should tell their parents and maybe a couple extended family members (they are super close knit, like Sunday dinner at their aunt's house every week). So I'm probably just gonna blurt that out to them on Sunday before dinner and then possibly blurt it out again at some point after dinner.

In conclusion, I'm definitely changing my name on Election Day. New president. New name. Same ol' cursing weirdo.

22. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Thought about y'all last night. Not my video because the venue is old and the walls needed to be held up. Hope everyone is having a good week.

23. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Work update: the switch in the system to Silas will be Jan 2. Email, security badge, etc. Going to notify various parties in mid Dec.

I looked in the mirror in the bathroom today and I saw my real self in my face and eyes, Silas hiding there behind a still-too-soft face...but he's there. I'm there. Those are really great moments when they happen.

24. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

well, finally talked to my parents about coming out to them on election night, haha. Create a checklist of how you expect loving but devoutly religious parents to respond to their son's bisexuality, and tick every box. So it goes.

25. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.