Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

letlive. - If I'm the Devil... (June 10, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Aaron Mook Jun 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2016)
    Plenty of discussion going on in the band thread, but I didn't see an album thread. This drops Friday.

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. Aaron Mook Jun 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2016)
    "Good Mourning, America" is a mess -- I didn't care for either of the singles without context, really -- but I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. "Who You Are Not" through "Foreign Cab Rides" is a pretty strong sequence. Nothing revolutionary, but enjoyable nonetheless. I'm only on "Elephant" though.

Edit: Yeah, I like this album. I understand others not, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the stylistic change and I don't agree with those. Still a few bangers here and most of the songs are diferent enough to keep me actively listening. Thematically reminds me of No Closer to Heaven, but immensely more interesting to me than that album.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Still looking forward to this. Only have heard Good Morning and I dug it

4. NotBruce

Regular

I'm really excited for this release. I didn't care much for Thrice's new singles but once I heard them in context, I loved them. I'm somewhat expecting the same here.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. I'm not a fan and won't be revisiting. It's unfortunate because I was really looking forward to this album.

6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Great album. Enough stylistic diversity and depth to reward repeat listens for me.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. This record is such a snooze

8. AutopilotYears

Regular

super disappointing after the last 2... they finally fixed the production but lost their spark in the process.

9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Finally got around to this, wayyyyy less heavy than expected, but that's not a bad thing. First listen didn't really hit me all that much, but it's far from terrible. Will give more listens for sure

10. marchofmarty

there is no happy here Prestigious

wanted to like this but it's so boring. a weak ago is fucking awesome though. other than that there isn't much on here for me

11. Deathco_019

Drummer

I like Good Mourning, America but the rest didn't stick with me after one listen. Gonna give it more listens eventually though. This band used to mean so much to me.

12. Not sure how indicative this will be of the band's future, but this could be seen as their In Reverie, their Warning. Feel how you will about the musical direction, but the lyricism is heavy and Jason pulls no punches imo.

13. NotBruce

Regular

Migrating from the other thread. I haven't been able to dig deep into it just yet, same with Thrice. Work and life and etc. But I'm specifically carving out time this weekend to really sit and pick this record apart. It's interesting though, because already it's evident that this album is absolutely a different type of "heavy". The lyrics are what makes it heavy, and the music seems to be structured in a way that will allow more people to really latch on to the lyrics, which I'm sure was no accident. I don't know, I'm with you fully. I think it's on track to being their In Reverie for sure.

And in a sense, the music isn't such a dramatic departure from elements of FH and TBB. You could hear that soul/pop/groove in a lot of their stuff, and while I enjoyed the combination of those with post-hardcore elements, it's also cool to hear them fully embrace those "softer" elements while still sticking with lyrics that punch you in the damn throat. Like I said, I haven't dug too deep into it just yet, but i'm really enjoying it so far.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i think i'm entering into the final step of the grieving process with this and accepting that i'm not in love with any of it and will probably come back to half of it. these guys did their thing so incredibly well and it bums me out to see them almost completely abandon it. w/e, still a fan and look forward to wherever they go next.

15. The lyrical content can great but if the music is shit, it's a wash IMO. Best lyrics in the world could not make me listen to or appreciate an album that is this dull instrumentally. In Reverie won both sides of the coin as far as that goes.

16. bedwettingcosmo

17. Nice, love band docs. Will watch during my lunch break tomorrow.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yeah like the lyrics here are great and i can tell jason put a lot into it but the rest of the band is completely lacking in every way outside of track 1, everything else is just bland and forgettable. really think this album overall sounds like a shitty bring me the horizon album. not sure who produced it but this kind of sheen does not fit letlive

19. bedwettingcosmo

after watching that doc, its obvious that the band had the intention to move away from the chaos on this record. sounds like they were all over writing that which is kind of a bummer but it is what it is.

kinda weird to me that it took them over a year to write it though.

20. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

This is.... just ok.

21. jrock920

Regular

22. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Love that riff in 'A Weak Ago'. I'm mixed about every Letlive album, I like a few songs on each one, this is no different. Jason's vocals on this are incredible, though.

23. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

This record makes me want to dislike them on Facebook

TheWater(s) and stillbrazy like this.
  24. you're silly

Youarcade likes this.
  25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

idk i think this album sucks pretty bad, huge shame

jrock920 likes this.