Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Less Than Jake Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by suburban myth, Mar 10, 2016.

1. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

I've been listening to Short Fuse Burning on repeat all day... I love that song.

Evolution Kid likes this.
  2. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Love these guys. Met them all at Warped Tour in 2011.

3. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

I don't have any of the giant bobbles aside from the Anthem Bone Daddy lol. Though I did just finish getting all the resin eve kids, so I'm pretty excited about that! That banner is awesome! I've yet to get any of the banners/scrims they've sold recently.

They're definitely a good bunch of dudes. Always super nice and chill to hang out with. Going to Warped this year? I swore off ever going to Warped to again the last time they played it but now I am of course considering it again haha.

4. suburban myth

Were they selling the black drumhead at the wake & bake last year? I missed the yard sale last year, and just recently saw that drum head they were selling on the 2015 tours... I'm really bummed I missed out on that.

5. Evolution Kid

Yup, they had the black drum head at Wake and Bake this past year. I picked it up along with a few records they had at the yard sale.

6. suburban myth

Ah hell... I couldn't convince my buddy to get there early enough & he was my ride. I hope they do another yard sale this year, I'm dying to add to my collection.

7. Evolution Kid

That's definitely a bummer dude. They had some good stuff this year. A friend of the band donated their collection towards the yard sale so there was a lot of cool stuff available. I got down there early and still wasn't early enough to get some of the stuff I wanted haha.

8. suburban myth

Well, i'll try to make up for it this year... but after the 2013 & 2015 yard sales, I can't imagine there's much good stuff left!

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Late pass, but I'd listen to both Hello Rockview and Anthem. If you like Hello Rockview more, check out the older stuff like Losing Streak; if you like Anthem more, go forward from there.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  10. Evolution Kid Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Evolution Kid

If anyone missed out on the US version of LTJ's live album in their webstore, you can get the international version from Rude Records in their US webstore on clear and purple for a few dollars cheaper here.

11. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I am pretty sure Fat does a lot of one album contracts, so they may not technically be signed to label but still put the next record out with Fat. Fat has always been pretty band friendly with their contracts.

12. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I've had half of In With The Out Crowd in my iTunes for years and loved it, and I just got around to listening to the rest of it and love it as well. No one's suggesting that one or saying it's the best, so I guess it only gets better from here, which is exciting!

suburban myth likes this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That one's actually my favorite!

Penguin likes this.
  14. suburban myth

It's good, for sure - recently it's become one of my favorites - but it definitely took a long time for it to grow on me. The back half of that album is so freaking awesome.

15. Evolution Kid

Same, IWTOC was definitely a grower for me. I didn't hate it when it came out, but it certainly wasn't a favorite right away. Has some solid songs on there though.

And in other news...I just tracked down the last resin Evo Kid that I needed! :teethsmile:Only mini Evo Kid I'm missing now is the glow in the dark mini Funko with no face paint and just the Less Than Jake text on the base.

[​IMG]

suburban myth likes this.
  16. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

these guys are one of the first bands i recall going after their discography and liking to loving every single album (minus Pezcore, which for some reason i still have never listened to). Hello Rockview and Anthem share my #1 spot. i need to revisit their stuff, it's been a long time

17. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Funny story: Vinnie played most of IWTOC over the phone for me a few months before it came out when I was on staff at AP, and I loved everything I heard. I made a post that night saying LTJ fans would love it, and that in a way it felt like a mix of old and new sounds, and I took some serious heat for it. The immediate reaction from the majority of LTJ fans on AP when it dropped was not good. Definitely seems like it grew on people over time.

18. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I would still put IWtOC toward the bottom of the discography, but I never really hated it and I don't think my feelings on it have changed much. I think the record just sounds a bit too clean and glossy, which I've always thought was interesting since it was produced by Howard Benson and Hello Rockview certainly doesn't have the same problem for me. I think the songwriting is still as solid as anything they've done, it's just the actual sound of the record that feels off to me.

19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

This record, for me came at a weird time in the industry with album piracy being free to do what it wants. The reason I say that is because I was given a burned copy right around release time and the files had to be like 96kbps or 128 and I was so turned off and rarely went back to it. It would not have surprised me if someone went to various rogue Myspace and Purevolume pages to get one or two songs at a time. It was one of the worst things I have ever been handed, musically speaking. It wasn't until a few years later when I became more passionate about buying digital (before streaming services) that I realized the album is actually really good. It's still not my favorite, but I don't think it's some black sheep that I initially thought it was. I learned a good lesson though that presentation and context matter a lot.

20. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Well said.

If I remember correctly, a very poor rip of this record was the first to leak, and many people (at least on AP) complained about the production and were initially turned off.

It's still probably only my 4th or 5th favorite LTJ record, but as you said, it doesn't feel like the weak link in their discography that many initially pegged it to be.

21. 9th At Pine

Last one out of Liberty City burn it to the ground

Anyone else catch the Losing Streak / Hello Rockview run of shows this year? I saw both nights here in Chicago and it was so great. It was also the smallest venue I've ever seen them at.

Also, I feel like Losers, Kings and Things... is a highly underrated album by them. I know it's a sort of compilation album of 7" and b-sides, but it's full of some great songs. I've seen them 20+ times since '99 and have rarely ever heard a track from it. I would love if they played songs like St. James Hotel or Down in the Mission sometime.

22. suburban myth

Where are you getting them, dude?! I can't ever find them!

23. Evolution Kid

I was able to get all of them as they came along because I was either at the shows that had whichever particular one, or knew someone who was gonna be at the other shows so they hooked me up. The Frosted one is the only I couldn't get and had to track down. It sold out the day before my show on that tour lol.

I made it out to St. Pete and Orlando for four shows total! The Social would have been the smallest venue I'd ever seen them play had I not gone to a "secret" show in Gainesville a week prior to the tour starting haha. The Hardback Cafe reopened in a new location in Gainesville and is suuuuuuper tiny. Like 60something capacity. And they played a $5 show there. That was nuts.

@Michael Schmidt @Brandon Allin I've definitely noticed a resurgence for IWTOC on here as of late. Kinda nice to see. And I can definitely see the point about the rise of leaks and shitty pure volume streams etc leading to production hate and backlash. I remember a lot of my LTJ friends at the time complaining about the production.

24. Paul Beaumont

In With The Out Crowd is my least favourite of theirs minus the obvious stuff like goodbye blue and white which I don't suppose counts anyway. Although everyone loves GNV FLA but I'm not really a fan of that either. I do think that See The Light is one of their best.

25. suburban myth

Man I have never seen one of those at a LTJ show... what the hell!