Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Legion (FX) TV Show • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by stayillogical, May 31, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

the season finale, compared to every other episode, is the most easily understood and i think it's fair to call that conventional in comparison. the series as a whole? nah, not conventional

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good finale, but I kinda hated the post-credits scene :-/

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah killer finale. As someone who basically only watches comedies and is not that much into superhero stuff I enjoyed this a ton more than I thought I would. Really innovative and the great cast

Also agree that the post-credits scene was weird af and I don't really think in a good way, I didn't like the effect of him being in the little window

4. Anthony_ Mar 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2017)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Well first I think you're operating from the position that "easily understood = conventional= not good/disappointing/whatever" which is not true. Just because it was easy to understand what was going on here on a plot level doesn't mean this was any lesser than anything that what came before. Besides, the plot for the whole series has been relatively easy to follow the whole time, when you think about it. It's just a typical X-Men story about a mutant coming to grips with his abilities, it's just darker than we're used to seeing on screen.

The complexity has come from the thematic work, the visuals, the performances, the great dialogue, and the production design more than anything else, and all of those things were on display in the finale. So, no, not conventional in the least.

5. Anthony_

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I was not at all disappointed, conventional in this sense does not at all mean not good. I am most definitely not talking about the entire series, just this one particular episode, which I don't think is unfair. And I think this episode was the most conventional of the bunch precisely because all those things you cited were definitely toned down this episode and for the most part played straight.

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Anthony_

I mean, my original comment wasn't even directed at you, I read someone say the finale was "disappointingly conventional," and when you responded I must have misattributed that particular statement to you. But none of those things were toned down in this episode, regardless. Just because the plot has snapped into focus after 7 weeks doesn't diminish this specific episode, is what I'm saying. It's all been building to this, this is the payoff after 7 weeks of setup. This quote from the AV Club's review of the finale actually sums it up pretty well:

So, just as I was saying before, even though the actual plot itself has been foregrounded, it doesn't diminish this episode. It makes this episode the culmination of a season-length exercise in melding theme/plot with episode structure. Of course the episode where David finally becomes clear-headed is the most clear to the audience as well. This show was always telling its story from his perspective. And that kind of dedication to putting the audience in the protagonist's head is anything but conventional.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  8. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

The finale was by far the most the show has ever felt like a superhero show. There were a few flourishes but if you remove those this pretty much could have been an episode of Daredevil. Probably the best episode of Daredevil, but still.

Also, the big fight between Lenny and David was just them running at each other.

9. Anthony_

I'm surprised that that's what you got out of it, honestly. It's impossible to separate this episode from the seven that came before it, and as such it could never have been an episode of Daredevil. This show is way, way more intelligent and spent way more time in 8 setting up plot threads that paid off tonight and building instantly memorable characters than what Daredevil was able to do with 26. Also this show couldn't be bothered less with wasting time on drawn-out action setpieces, hence:

I don't know that you want out of this show what most people want or expect out of it, if you're knocking it for this.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah, the finale reinforced my fear that this will become more of a typical superhero show, and I really don't want that at all. It wasn't bad, and the season as a whole was fucking stellar but I'm a little nervous for next season. I hope they find ways to keep it fresh

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't get the vibe it's gonna turn into a "typical" super hero show

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Joe Mar 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2017)
    Satisfying finale. Loved seeing Farook jump from host to host. I got "The Flash" vibes when David was doing his superhero charge ha. I'm curious about who or what "Equinox" is. It's been a great ride. Definitely my favorite season of tv so far this year.

EDIT: Unless "Equinox" was that orb thing that took David at the end.

13. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Aubrey's drippy, decaying Lenny form was so cool

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

You can find my thoughts on the finale here: Review: ‘Legion S01E08: Chapter 8’

But if you're not a fan of reading reviews, the sum of it is, I loved this show. Thought it was well-casted and well-written. Can't wait for next season.

Kuri44 and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  15. Anthony_

There's nothing here in the finale to suggest this is going to turn into a conventional or "typical" superhero show. It's Noah Hawley. He's not going to let that happen. I would think he's earned a bit of trust after two seasons of Fargo and now Legion, but what do I know.

Joe likes this.
  16. I just remembered this. So, when Farook is jumping from host to host, Ptonomy just runs into the room firing off his automatic machine gun lol. Was he ready to just sacrifice whoever, as long as it killed the demon?

17. Anthony_

Yeah, looks like it. I mean, he was always in support of that kind of cold pragmatism, though, so it wasn't a total shock. But still, he was about to just straight-up kill Kerry (and Cary, for that matter) without any definitive indication that it would also kill the Shadow King (remember, Cary was the only one who seemed to know anything about him and he didn't exactly share much with the group). It was really messed up to watch.

It's Farouk, by the way.

Joe likes this.
  18. Shit, thanks haha.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  19. Matt

Hopefully they can flesh out some of the support characters in season two. I appreciated the view into Clark's life in the opening of the finale.

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Had 0 clue that was the guy's name. On imdb he's just listed as "the interrogator" haha.

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i was actually so disinterested in his backstory just because he was so under utilized. would've been cool if he was a little bit more of a recurring figure before they did that

22. Matt

The only reason I say it is because in the finale they ask him his name

I Am Mick likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Ah, I must have been too busy taking notes to catch that.

24. Matt

You ever try to unmake soup?

25. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

You make a Soupsicle right?