Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chavista Club World • Page 21

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. lightning

2. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Just listened to the latest Always Already episode and they’re talking about Coates v. West. I feel like i need to better understand afro-pessimism to actually follow this.

3. lightning

4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Importer/Exporter and storm like this.
  5. lightning

Contender and Richter915 like this.
  6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Jacobin has been leaving me bleh lately. I think in the wake of Trumpism they've given in to partial centrism to garner support. I dno.

7. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I scooped cheap subscriptions to the print issues earlier this year and I've dug the 2 quarterly issues they've put out since I started (Climate Change and 100 years since Russian Revolution-focused) and dug them more than the online stuff.

Richter915 likes this.
  8. lightning

OK. I think there isn't really any one particular strong mag/outlet for consistent leftism. just a couple that each have good content from time to time. but...that doesn't take away from this podcast though.

MexicanGuitars and Richter915 like this.
  9. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

the unfortunate truth of the horrible journalism market is that most good writers are freelancers and so it's worth more to just follow the ones you like on twitter and see their posts imo. nowhere has the money to keep a staff of consistently good writers anymore.

10. lightning

Yeah it sucks.

11. lightning

Lamenting on how both Jacobin and Chapo were like "yeah what happened to anti imperialism? Yeah I dunno the western left forgot about that lol" for like a minute in their podcasts and moved on. Oof. Really unfortunate and sums up the state of things.

12. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I feel like the people in charge have always been less left than most of the people who write for them

storm and Richter915 like this.
  13. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Well it took me 7 months but i finally finished Capital Vol 1 and almost all the Harvey video lectures

Richter915 likes this.
  14. lightning

mmm, mmm. *nods*

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  15. lightning

16. OdranWaldo

Brendan Rodgers Young Team Prestigious

once we take out the fascists and the liberals, the tankies are next.

17. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

18. lightning

context:

i only posted it b/c it got RT'd on my timeline

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Founds this song while browsing online and learning about the now defunct Indonesian Communist Party and it sounds really dope.

A little backstory, this song was very popular after Dutch rule depicting the rough peasant life of picking genjer (a kind of plant crop) in the fields. The PKI (Indonesian Communist Party) used the song to promote their party eventually becoming known as the PKI song. After the 30 September Movement coup and during the mass purging of Communists by the militarythe song was banned for its association for the party. The military made up a story that during the coup the Gerwani, a feminist organization supporting the PKI, sang the song as they abducted the generals, torturing them, cutting of their genitals and dancing around with them because... that sounds... plausible...

After military rule the ban on the song was lifted and is now symbolic of those years under military rule as you can see in the video below. Though I'm pretty sure that Sickle and Hammer shirt he's wearing is still banned.

storm and gonz (Alex) like this.
  20. lightning

Victor Eremita and Wharf Rat like this.
  21. lightning

22. lightning

for context, this is what happened the other day:

Victor Eremita and Zac Djamoos like this.
  23. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I was shocked that there were Milosevic cheerleaders (honestly way worse than the assadist equivalent) but then i saw it was the Molly Klein clique and was not shocked anymore

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i hadnt realized they had a reputation for being awful and genocide apologists, id just thought they were kinda silly and over the top. jesus

25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

they also deny the holodomor ever happened. the extent to which it was a planned famine targeting ukrainians specifically is a legitimate historical question, but not whether or not there was even a famine. "nazi propaganda" according to them

storm and Zac Djamoos like this.