Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Led Zeppelin Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, May 3, 2017.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Led Zeppelin were an English rock band formed in London in 1968. The group consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham. The band's heavy, guitar-driven sound, rooted in blues and psychedelia on their early albums, has earned them recognition as one of the progenitors of heavy metal, though their unique style drew from a wide variety of influences, including folk music.

2. beachdude

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Just listened to a ton of Zeppelin today!

bradsonemanband and beachdude42 like this.
  4. beachdude

5. Holy shit, a reunion?!?! If that happens ... I would spend a lot to get to that festival.

beachdude42 and bradsonemanband like this.
  6. Larry David

Zoso, III, II, and Houses of the Holy. One of my all time favorite bands

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I feel at this point that No Quarter off of TSRTS is the best rock song I've ever heard.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

They're the best. Love this regarding Presence.

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. Larry David

Top 10 Zeppelin song for me

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. beachdude

Definitely up there for me too.

truelovewaits likes this.
  11. LightWithoutHeat May 11, 2017
    (Last edited: May 11, 2017)
    LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Since I've Been Loving You is close behind (and coincidently preceeds it on TSRTS). I honestly don't know what's better, Page's guitar or Plant's voice. Just unreal stuff.

beachdude42 and truelovewaits like this.
  12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

so I recently inherited those insane box set reissues for each album that were done back in 2014

Giving me an excuse to dive deeper into their catalog beyond the standards I already know

truelovewaits and beachdude42 like this.
  13. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Recently got into them, honestly. Trying to get into a lot of classic rock stuff because I never really dove into the great stuff!

Anything else as amazing as Zeppelin I should be listening to?

14. Larry David

The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, and Pink Floyd are the bands I listened to a lot way back when, when I first got into Led Zeppelin.

However, none of them are as amazing as Zeppelin!

GettingSodas likes this.
  15. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Love The Doors!

I was actually gonna try out Pink Floyd next!

truelovewaits likes this.
  16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

You can go back one band to the Yardbirds and follow how their three guitarists (Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page) branched off. Obviously Page had Zeppelin, but the other two went in wildly different directions. Cream should probably be essential listening.

Because I'm a huge nerd, you can also listen to the original versions of the songs that Zeppelin borrowed/ripped off from. How they rearranged and amplified folk songs is so amazing.

GettingSodas likes this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Led Zeppelin is a great debut

Obviously some classic rippers on here ("Dazed and Confused," "Good Times Bad Times," "Communication Breakdown") but I was struck by all of the folk influence on here

"You're Time is Gonna Come," particularly reeks of late 60s psychedelic folk influence. That chorus is just so SUNNY too, especially for Led Zeppelin

As always, Bonham is incredible and the standout on nearly every track

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Getting the complete Led Zep box set from my uncle years ago was one of the most important, formative musical experiences I've had. Page and Co are probably only 2nd to AC/DC in getting me to pick up a guitar and guiding me through my first few years of both playing and listening to music seriously.

I used to hold up IV as the greatest album, then TSRTS, but Physical Graffiti is just massive.

beachdude42 and Aregala like this.
  19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone ever seen Zepparella?

20. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Decided to finally dive into their discography since I've only ever listened to their most popular songs. Just finished Led Zeppelin and I really enjoyed You're Time is Gonna Come as someone else mentioned. I Can't Quit You Baby was another I liked aside from the well known tracks on it. Only one I wasn't a huge fan of was You Shook Me.

beachdude42 likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I'm starting to think II is a bit overrated. Yeah, it's great, but the next 4 following it beat it. III in particular has been climbing in my esteem. They incorporate the folkier stuff so well without losing their ability to rock.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  22. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i feel the same about iv, actually. the one of the numbered albums i come back to least.

23. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Wild, because I think III is probably my least favorite/revisited/whatever of the numbered ones. Although I generally skip Stairway now.

24. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

I just finished I -IV. I can see why a lot of people regard IV as the best but I would put that tied for 2nd with II. Honestly, I've enjoyed their debut the most. III has some gems like Celebration Day and Since I've Been Loving You but otherwise I've had no real desire to go through it again. I also hate the Immigration Song.

25. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I could still listen to Since I’ve Been Loving You. It was a top 3 Zeppelin song for me along with Achilles’ Last Stand and No Quarter but the squeaky kick pedal cuts right through everything.