Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Leaving Neverland (HBO) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Mar 1, 2019.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

The most frustrating argument MJ defenders keep making is "well they both testified in court that he never touched them, so they must be lying now." I can't believe people are saying because James testified WHEN HE WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD that means he must have been telling the truth. Like they don't understand the concept of grooming.

2. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Here’s the thing: the only people that are “sure” Michael is innocent are devoted fans. That speaks volumes. They are unwilling to even consider he might be guilty. I’m sorry, but that really disqualifies them in my eyes. I can’t trust anyone with blinders on like that. The warning signs are everywhere with Michael and his behavior around children. If you plug in any other “normal” person into that equation instead of Michael, it would seem obvious that he’s a pedophile/predator.

3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I know the content is more important than the actual film itself but I just watched the Michael Jackson docu... and while it was pretty heartbreaking stuff... I thought the actual docu as a film was rough. Soooooo long. Sooo many details of stuff that, not to be harsh, I didnt really care about. Soooooo many long shots of exterior settings.

I was also a bit disappointed their wasnt any attempt to get other people's involvement in the docu. I guess it was more of a "story of these two men" instead a legit documentary, but I still would've liked to see more perspective (especially if its gonna be 4 hours long)

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Like others have said, I'm really struggling here to ascertain who else's perspective matters in this situation other than the three men who were involved, one of whom is dead.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It was always intended to be a film about these specific people. It’s not a sweeping epic detailing every aspect and angle and opinion of every person ever involved with these allegations. And it doesn’t need to be to be effective at telling their stories.

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Unlike the Whitney documentary I don't know how you can get the family etc involved because they probably never saw that side of him and would defend him

7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I would've liked to have seen an attempt to hear at least one person not related to these two men on camera. Without it, its a heart breaking tale of two mens lives with jackson. With it though, it's an effective docu that really breaks down the entire situation.

Without it, I feel it was more of a breakdown of what a family goes through when something like this happens. Which is powerful stuff.

I dont blame the mothers. And I thought the guys wife (hawaiian) was rough.

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

But nobody knows the entire situation except the three men, so nobody else's perspective is needed to break down the entire situation. And one of them is dead, so they got the other two. There's literally nothing else anyone could add aside from maybe their parents, and even then only to explain what the hell they were thinking.

The whole point of this documentary was to show the effect these events had on the two men and their families and what they went through.

Zilla likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It's been discussed on Film Twitter, but I think there's confusion between something being a documentary and something being straight journalism. Something like this has only the goal of telling the story of these two men and their relationship with Michael Jackson. It doesn't aim to tell all sides and I don't think it should.

10. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Really does make me wonder if Culkin was actually abused too..feel like he's the only one left

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Doubt it because he's Paris' godfather but Michael probably knew he had a volatile home life

12. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Wouldn’t shock me at all

13. currytheword Mar 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

I felt so mentally fucking vexed from this last night I barely slept.

If you have trouble seeing through the, at this point very thin, argument that "Michael was just a kid in an adult's body" then you need to re-evaluate your empathetic abilities/morals. This man didn't just do this on his own. He had a team of people that worked behind him, to keep him a star, and to hide anything like this from the public eye. Michael groomed these little boys so badly. The abuse started at such young ages for them, their literal understanding of what is right and wrong/what is sexual abuse between adults and children was warped for good. THAT'S why they fucking lied. because these boys had this man calling them begging for help and using his star power to make them feel bad for him. Like they owed him.

Growing up in the nineties and then being a teen in the early 2000's, my understanding of all this was completely different. A lack of care mixed with a lack of evidence presented like in this documentary, I too bought into the "money and fame seeking" claims. This is beyond enough for conviction for me.

Also, which the documentary didn't touch on, was that one of the other boys who went to court over abuse charges 100% accurately described Michael's nude body. Including, but not limited to, marks on his penis.

jkauf likes this.
  14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I not once even considered this to be “false.”

Fuck that.

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Just finished this and feel so broken. Feel so bad for everyone involved. Fuck MJ forever.

Donnie Ruth likes this.