Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Late 90s/Early 00s Pop Music Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Whoaaaaaa..I 100% forgot about City High.

2. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

anyone remember The Beach?

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

That City High song got a Now That's What I Call Music compilation banned from Wal-Mart, lol

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

A shame Westlife never really broke into the American market

5. windowbirds

They're not really impressive imo. When you compare them to Take That and Boyzone, I like the others more.

6. Meerkat

Fair enough. I always thought they had really strong harmonies and that "Flying Without Wings" is one of the better songs to come from that era

7. windowbirds

Oh, I like that song too, but they just felt so....like 98 Degrees, just there?

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've been thinking a lot about the Backstreet Boys. I think I like them so much because imo the talent is pretty equally spread. There are the stronger singers but I don't think the weaker ones are THAT bad. Like the talent disparity isn't huge. Nick was a standout for his heartthrob status, but aside from that they worked so well together as a group. As a unit they were so strong. I feel like some groups have certain members who steal the show or it just feels like a vehicle for one member to get solo success, whereas BSB was always so solid as a whole. idk where I'm going with this, I just love them so much lol

9. Meerkat

AJ is definitely one of the strongest vocalists from that era. What a belt. The end of "Larger Than Life" is practically superhero status

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

this rules

11. windowbirds

They were pretty good and were definitely better as a whole. But as someone who liked *NSYNC more, JC is the superior singer from both groups and I'm disappointed that he didn't get the success that Justin has.

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. Kiana

Jc is my fave of nsync. He shot himself in the foot with the solo album he released but he was def the most talented vocally and dance-wise. I def think nsync has jc and Justin as the standouts but I value the group thing a lot more personally. They feel like a band and not the justin or beyonce or Harry show that lots of pop bands turn in to. Idk. All the love to all the pop groups tho since I'm a fan of all of them!

13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Son of a bitch..

Meerkat and Garrett L. like this.
  14. windowbirds

I'm a big fan of groups too, I liked Kelly's voice over Beyonce's tbh. Nowadays, I prefer listening to girl groups over the boy bands because I think most of their songs stand the test of time.

I'm just mostly annoyed at how Timberlake downplayed his boy band days. Like motherfucker, they and the fact that you dated Britney at her peak is the reason you got where you are today. (The Superbowl thing didn't endear him to me as well.)

15. windowbirds

Is there a dead emoji? Cause I'm feeling oooold.

AelNire likes this.
  16. Kiana

I dislike justin for a myriad of reasons and I really wish jc would've put out a stronger solo effort. When he did that awkward long note at the vma reunion I was like get it!!!!! Finally take your moment to shine jc!!!

supernovagirl and windowbirds like this.
  17. windowbirds

The best moment.

18. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Wait okay I know I'm late on this but I LOVED M2M. Seriously listened to them on repeat for forever

AelNire likes this.
  19. Kiana

Ricky Martin has the best career of a former boybander gone solo. Does anyone else remember his song with xtina?

Luroda and windowbirds like this.
  20. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

That song was my JAM! I used to pretend I was Christina.

Kiana likes this.
  21. windowbirds

I remember wanting her makeup look. I always thought she had the prettier makeup and styling...before Stripped came along. Great album though.

Kiana likes this.
  22. Kiana

Me too! So many dances were choreographed to her songs by me and my friends lol.

I wanted her red hair in Come on Over so bad!! It was like the height of beauty and fashion to me lol. Stripped was a cultural appropriation mess style-wise but I can't deny it was iconic. Got Miley thirsting after that era to this day!

[​IMG]

AelNire likes this.
  23. windowbirds

What a mess, but I dug the hair.

24. Kiana

Stripped is weird for me because it's the only Christina album I legitimately love despite the reputation I may have lol, but everything else about it was such a mess. She'd get so nailed for it if she did it in this day and age. I'm glad she made such a great coming of age album detailing her sexuality, feminism, vulnerability, etc etc but like... the rest I side eye so bad lol. I was watching her MTV Diary a while back and nearly died of embarrassment.

windowbirds likes this.
  25. windowbirds

I was a Christina fangirl largely to spite the crazy Britney fans in high school. But yes, Stripped was such a good album about the subject matter.

Kiana likes this.